Review 10. Anna Sheehan - A long, long sleep.

Pages: 342.
Published: August 9th 2011. (first published August 1st 2011)
Publisher: Candlewick.
Sort: Stand alone.

Rosalinda Fitzroy has been asleep for sixty-two years when she is woken by a kiss. Locked away in the chemically induced slumber of a stasis tube in a forgotten subbasement, sixteen-year-old Rose slept straight through the Dark Times that killed millions and utterly changed the world she knew. Now, her parents and her first love are long gone, and Rose— hailed upon her awakening as the long-lost heir to an interplanetary empire— is thrust alone into a future in which she is viewed as either a freak or a threat. Desperate to put the past behind her and adapt to her new world, Rose finds herself drawn to the boy who kissed her awake, hoping that he can help her to start fresh. But when a deadly danger jeopardizes her fragile new existence, Rose must face the ghosts of her past with open eyes— or be left without any future at all.

Rating: 

Wow, just wow! I remember that I was completely blown away by this book. I had high hopes for it and it delivered.

The first chapters left me annoyed by our Sleeping Beauty. She's kissed by Ben and awakes after more than 80 years in 'stasis'. It's a special sort of sleep where you're body and mind freeze in time. She had a really bad attitude. She was too dumb to understand anything, so she wouldn't learn for school and stuff like that. She was immediately obsessed with Bren, but she doesn't even know him. As you can see, I was not very excited at the beginning. Still, I wanted to give the book a chance and I am so glad I did.

Rose emerges now into a world that has recovered from the 'dark times.' That was a dystopian-sounding era brought by illness. Everyone in her old live is dead. If her parents hadn't left her in stasis for so long, perhaps she would have died to. Not that she had a very pleasant life. I began to understand her when the whole story got another dimension. Her past began to unfold and we get to know her parents better. They were terrible! They sort of abused her mentally by putting her in stasis every time they wanted. Vacation? Work? Annoyed? Just put her into sleep until you feel like waking up.. It really messed up her life and the beautiful love she had with Xavier.

"I didn't want the sun to rise. I didn't want the world to continue turning. I wanted the whole planet put into stasis until I could catch up."

Rose is constantly haunted by everything she lost. That's why she has so many troubles with her feelings for Ben, the boy who is taking her under his wing. The story get's deeper when there are several attempts to kidnap - and murder - her. There's an assassin who is activated the moment she woke up.\

I felt heartbroken at the end of the story. I just felt like crying for everything this girl lost in her life.. She got a lot back (like the friendship with Onno. He's fantastic!) but still.. I could only think about everything she could have before, if her parents were just normal. And I love the writing. I really bonded with her in the end. I though she was really strong when she discovered the truth about several things. I would be devastated, but she can deal with it and I admired that about Rose.

Read this book. Really! I wish I could read this one again, for the first time, just to be dazzled.

3 comments

  1. Wow, great review, Mel! It's always a good thing when you've written a review a while back and you still remember the book! :) Sounds like a really moving read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes. I use my older reviews and I make a new one out of it; so it's certainly a good thing if you can remember a lot of things. The book really touched me :)

      Delete
  2. I agree in everything that you said :D This book melts my heart. Nice Review -TheUnseelieNerd

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible.