Saturday, February 18, 2012 22:10

Review 6. Jocelyn Davies - A beautiful dark.

A Beautiful Dark (A Beautiful Dark, #1)
Pages: 390.
Published: September 27th 2011.
Publisher: HarperTeen.
ISBN: 0061990655 (ISBN13: 9780061990656)
Sort:  Part 1 of A beautiful dark.
On the night of Skye's seventeenth birthday, she meets two enigmatic strangers. Complete opposites; like fire and ice; Asher is dark and wild, while Devin is fair and aloof. Their sudden appearance sends Skye's life into a tailspin. She has no idea what they want, or why they seem to follow her every move only that their presence coincides with a flurry of strange events. Soon she begins to doubt not just the identity of the two boys, but also the truth about her own past. In the dead of a bitingly cold Colorado winter, Skye finds herself coming to terms with the impossible secret that threatens to shatter her world. Torn between Asher, who she can't help falling for, and Devin, who she can't stay away from, the consequences of Skye's choice will reach further than the three of them could ever imagine.
 Rating:

Storyline: 
Asher is the bad-guy type. He likes to flirt with girls and he has a certain way of talking. Devin is shy and likes to stay in the background. Skye and he can really talk, but she and Asher have some kind of spark they can't deny. Cassie - Skye's best girlfriend - is teasing her, but the story get's more complicated when Skye finds out that they are there for a reason. They are watching her; protecting her from herself. They both have the same goal, but Devin warns her for Asher, but Asher tells her to stay away from Devin. Skye is torn apart and she is struggling with the discovery about her dead parents. Whose side is she on. Asher or Devin?

Characters:
I liked them all, but I hated Devin during the development of the story. He got very pushy and demanding, so I really wanted Skye to end up with Asher. Sky herself is a nice and sweet girl, but she can be annoying. She says one thing, but her actions are doing the opposite thing. Girl, make a decision! And what the heck, how can you fall in love with someone you barely know? Love is not based on how good looking he is.. You must have something in common, you must like his personality.. I also disliked the fact that every page is about her struggle. "I don't like him.. I do like him.. I want him to leave.. I want him to stay." Even her schoolwork is suffering from it, like, get a grip on yourself! But perhaps I think to much about stuff like that. I must be more romantic, so I tried to read beyond those lines and I found a very small story.

Overall:
Like I said, besides the whole love triangle, the story lacks a real good storyline. I expected more action. The whole story should have been more about her past and her new gifts. Now it was more: the story needed something more to make it less boring, so we just put some gifts in it and at the end we come up with a little bit of action. Her gifts should have been the subject, not just a side issue. Therefore, I give this book 2.5 to 3 stars, because I still want to read the next book.. I want to know how the story continues, because the writing isn't bad. I just expected more of the storyline.
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

2 comments:

  1. I love your review Mel! I too personally thought that the story line could made better. Thank you for following and reading my reviews!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0