Sunday, May 13, 2012 01:55

Review 31. Chuck Wendig - Blackbirds.

Blackbirds (Miriam Black, #1)Title: Blackbirds.
Author: Chuck Wendig.
Pages: 384.
Published: April 24th 2012 by Angry Robot.
Sort: Part one of Miriam Black.
Source: Netgalley & Publisher.

Miriam Black knows when you will die. She’s foreseen hundreds of car crashes, heart attacks, strokes, and suicides. But when Miriam hitches a ride with Louis Darling and shakes his hand, she sees that in thirty days Louis will be murdered while he calls her name. Louis will die because he met her, and she will be the next victim. No matter what she does she can’t save Louis. But if she wants to stay alive, she’ll have to try.
Rating:

Miriam Black has this special ability. When she has skin-to-skin contact with someone, she knows how and when someone will die. She takes advantage of that by following that person and stealing all his/her money. She seems to be unable to change the course of dead: when she tried, a little boy died because of her. That is still hunting her in her nightmares, so she won't interfere with 'the path of life'.

This book starts with one of her victims. She robbed him and she got a ride from Louis to a bar. That's how she meets Ashley. Yes, it's a boy and he has that bad boy attitude. She is turned on by it, so they have sex and they hang out. He finds her journey and he wants to work together. They are searching for the perfect victim and that is how Louis comes in the picture. She saw that he will die within a couple of days. Ashley has made the plan that Louis will be there next victim, but there is something about him that touched Miriam. Not only the fact that he will die because of their meeting, but he is sweet and there is something sad about him.

That’s when the trouble is coming. A woman and a guy show up searching for Ashley. He stole a suitcase full of drugs and the owner wants it back, no matter what. Soon, the pieces of the puzzle fall together and Miriam must do everything in her power if she wants to save Louis.
The story is told from Miriam’s point of view. There is a lot of violence and cursing. She loves alcohol and cigarettes.

"My mother always said I had a mouth like a sailor. Not in an arr, matey way, but in a fuck this and shit that way. And yes, I am a big fat liar. My dirty, torn-up jeans on fire."

And that’s exactly how Miriam is throughout the whole book. She is foul mouthed, sharp and she has a very strange ‘I don’t give a damn’ attitude. For me, the whole concept of stealing someone’s money after watching that person die, is so strange. I’d never do something like that and I certainly can’t understand why she is doing it. Why isn’t she able to get a job?

There are some ‘Interludes’ in this book and some of them provide more information about Miriam. Like telling about her past: her mother was very religious and had strict rules. Those rules are returning in Miriam’s dreams, also described in those chapters. Some of them are pretty scary, with Louis ghost talking to her and blaming her for his dead.

I’m not quite sure about this book. I liked the concept of touching someone and seeing how they die, but Miriam wasn’t a very likable character. What I do know is that I love the cover! You have to find out for yourself if this book works for you. I’m still not sure if I’m going to read the next one. 

author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

3 comments:

  1. I agree - this cover looks amazing! It really caught my eye and that's a cover's one job, isn't it? ^^ From your review, the book actually sounds really good, but I know how hard it can be to relate to such unlikeable characters. Ah well, good review! You've piqued my interest! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds very different! I totally agree about the cover though it pulls you in. I'm not sure how I'd react to Miriam though. Lovely review, doll!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Rea, that's the purpose of the cover yes :D Only a shame that - for me - the cover is prettier than the inside. I do hope that you'll like it if you're going to read it :)

    @Giselle, thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0