Showcase Sunday 4.


Showcase sunday is to highlight our newest books or book related swag and to see what everyone else received for review, borrowed from libraries, bought in bookshops and downloaded onto eReaders each week.

Library.
Liesl and PoThe Thirteenth PrincessReckless

Liesl and Po.
Liesl lives in a tiny attic locked away by her stepmother. She is very alone, until she meets a ghost called Po. The night they meet, there is also Will. He is an alchemist's apprentice and he accidentally switches a box containing the most powerful magic in the world with a less remarkable one. This has tremendous consequences for Liesl and Po.
This story has a fairytale feeling to it. The cover is so pretty and full of details. The synopsis gave me a little 'Cinderella'-ish feeling, with the evil stepmother part. I'm really looking forward to this one.

The thirteenth princess.
A retelling from the popular 'The twelve dancing princesses.' This time, the king has enough of his daughters and he wants a son. His wife dies giving birth to his thirteenth daughter, Zira. He abandons her to the kitchen staff. When Zira finds out about her real father, she is thrilled! From that moment, she and her sisters are pretty close. That's when she finds about a curse, which is making her sisters very ill. Is Zira, with the help of her friend Breckin, capable of breaking the curse?
I've read a couple of books about this subject now and each of them has been very original. This book, I'm almost done, surprises me again. The twist with another sister is nice and I like Zira.

Reckless.
It's about a boy Jacob who found a portal which transports him to another magical world. When his younger brother follows him and gets infected, Jacob must fight to save him. Jacob will need all the wit, courage, and reckless spirit he can summon to reverse the dark spell—before it's too late.
This book reminded me a bit of Narnia, with the portal to another world. I haven't read any books from Funke before, but I saw the movie from Inkheart and I liked the concept.
Won.
Thanks to The secret writer

Changeling (Order of Darkness, #1)Italy, 1453. Seventeen-year-old Luca Vero is brilliant, gorgeous—and accused of heresy. Cast out of his religious order for using the new science to question old superstitious beliefs, Luca is recruited into a secret sect: The Order of the Dragon, commissioned by Pope Nicholas V to investigate evil and danger in its many forms, and strange occurrences across Europe, in this year—the end of days.

Isolde is a seventeen-year-old girl shut up in a nunnery so she can’t inherit any of her father’s estate. As the nuns walk in their sleep and see strange visions, Isolde is accused of witchcraft—and Luca is sent to investigate her, but finds himself plotting her escape.

Despite their vows, despite themselves, love grows between Luca and Isolde as they travel across Europe with their faithful companions, Freize and Ishraq. The four young people encounter werewolves, alchemists, witches, and death-dancers as they head toward a real-life historical figure who holds the boundaries of Christendom and the secrets of the Order of the Dragon.
I'm so thrilled about this one! I adore her writing style, especially the two books about The Tudor era, so I was very happy when I found out that I won!

Please leave your link, so I can visit your showcase/mailbox.

31 comments

  1. Oh my gooood! Changeling! :DDD Can't wait to hear what you think about it. This is #1 on my waiting list!

    I love fairytales and your haul looks amazing!

    Here's mine :) Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, especially the Philppa Gregory sounds great! Let us know what you think after reading! Or better: move it on top of your TBR-pile. Please!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucky that you got Changeling (I've been dying to read it!). I also really want to try Liesl & Poe and Reckless (I love the authors' other works). Happy reading! :)

    My Haul

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, cool haul! Changeling in particular sounds really good!

    Here's my Showcase Sunday

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been meaning to read Liesl and Po forever now as I really adore Lauren Oliver's YA books. I hope you enjoy it! Awesome haul this week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Liesl and Po. sounds sooo good. It's been a while since I've read anything like this but you got me interested! Thanks for sharing Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so luck to win the Phillippa Gregory book - it looks like a great read! Very cool! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Changeling looks awesome. Thanks for checking out my haul.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on Changeling. The Thirteenth Princess looks so cute. Happy reading and great haul ;)

    Thanks for stopping by, btw :)

    Jennifer @ Dream Reads

    ReplyDelete
  10. Reckless and Changeling sound like something I would enjoy! :)
    Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Changeling sounds so good! I've heard great things about Liesl and Po, too.

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  12. AWWWWWWWW I've heard nothing but good about Changeling...I want to read it sooooooooo bad!!!!!! oh and Lauren Oliver is a great author...i just love her work!!!! Awesome haul :-) Happy reading!!!!!! And I LOVE your blog...beautiful!!!!!!!!!

    SeeitORreadit

    ReplyDelete
  13. Changeling!! I am so jealous! :P It looks great! Enjoy them all!

    Thanks for stopping by My "Added to the Bookshelf" Post.

    ♥ Melissa @ Melissa's Eclectic Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved Liesl & Po! Enjoy your books!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! Great books! I LOVE fairy tale retellings! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Liesl and Po looks so good! I have heard great things about it! I hope you enjoy it! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    Here is this weeks IMM

    New Follower!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lots of great books here! Enjoy them! :)

    Thanks for sharing,
    Dani
    http://paulettespapers.com/?p=2080

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really really want to read Changling...like i've been itching for that book in particular.

    ~Shane
    new follower

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, I *still* reallllly want to read 'Liesl and Po'... it sounds so good, and I love Lauren Oliver's writing.

    Enjoy! =)

    ReplyDelete
  20. MEL!! You know I adore you, right? Every time I come to your blog and see your adorable chick and sweet colours, it brings a smile to me face. THANKS SO MUCH FOR BEING AWESOME! :') <3

    Anyyyywaaaay LOL you have such an amazing mailbox this week too! I absolutely ADORED Liesl & Po with all my heart, which is saying something since I rarely ever read middle grade reads. That one's just so magical and it spoke volumes to me! It IS sort of fairytale-ish in a way! :) And I love the idea of adding a thirteenth princess to a story about twelve princesses... Originality to the maximum fun point!

    Plus, CONGRATULATIONS on winning Changeling! I've seen that book around a few times and have been debating picking it up, but I'll probably wait to read your hopefully positive review before starting :)

    Amazing showcase, Mel! The weekend is over now, but I hope you have a WONDERFUL week and enjoy all of your WONDERFUL books! :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have Liesl & Po waiting for me on my shelf. I don't know how I haven't read it yet, I love Lauren Oliver! I hope you enjoy all your new reads!

    Thanks for stopping by Book Cover Justice :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oooooh! AMAZING haul! I still haven't read a THING by Cornelia Funke, but Reckless looks AMAZING (PLUS, the cover is GORGEOUS). AND CHANGELING! Can't wait to get to this! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I desperately want Liesl & Po and I love the cover, I'm having mixed feelings about Changeling though I'm not too sure if I'm going to like it. I might end up giving it a go though, great haul and thanks for stopping by :).

    ReplyDelete
  24. @Sel, thanks! I can't wait to receive my copy and get started :D
    @Maaike, as soon as it arrives, I will put it on top of my list :)
    @Maria & Aliaa, thanks for stopping by!
    @Sam, good to hear that you loved her other works. This is my first book from her, so I'm excited to find out what I think :D
    @Vicky, glad that I could do that!
    @Mel, I feel very lucky too :D
    @Shy, you're welcome!
    @Jennifer, you are welcome!
    @Veronica, thanks for stopping by!
    @Angie, I hope Liesl & Po is so good as the revies I read: I've started today.
    @Jaskrit, thank you so much for your comment! You made me smile :D
    @Melissa, thanks!
    @Nose in a book, that's good to hear! I just started to read Liesl & Po.
    @Liliana, me too! Fairytales are the best thing in the world.
    @Kelley Lee, thanks for the follow!
    @Dani, thanks!
    @Shane, me too, so I'm very happy that I won :D
    @Ashley, it's my first book from her, so I'm anxious to find out what I think about her writing style.
    @Mimi, your comments always makes me feel so happy! I have a huge smile right now. I don't know what to say, haha, but I'm glad that you find me awesome :D I'm so glad to hear that you loved Liesl and Po, I hope I feel the same about it! The thirteenth princess was such a sweet story, I will post the review soon! And hopefully I can write a positive review about Gregory, but I don't think that will be a problem. I adore her other books :) Thanks for always stopping by and commenting so nice.
    @Tifanny, thanks for stopping by!
    @Sarah, yes, the cover is pretty. It has nice details in real life :D
    @Claire, I hope that Changeling is so good, that I can write a postive review about it to make you read it, haha :D

    ReplyDelete
  25. I actually hadn't heard of any of these books but they all sound great! And congrats on winning Changeling!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh I have Liesl and Po too! I can't wait to get stuck in! Hope you enjoy the rest of your books too! Thanks for stopping by! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow, you sure have a great week to look forward to with all these books! Heard loads about Changeling, think I should give it a try? ;) Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    -Alicia
    bookaworld.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Mel!!
    you got Liesl & Po!! I have it too but I havent read it yet @_@
    shame, shame, shame on me!! XDDD

    great haul dear ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  29. Ohh I really enjoyed Liesl & Po so I hope you do too! The Thirteenth Princess seems lovely, I'm a fan of the Twelve Dancing Princesses. Enjoy your books x

    ReplyDelete
  30. @Ashley, thanks!
    @Jasprit, I'm enjoying the books very much ^^
    @Mariposaspring, I only have heard good things about Changeling: so I think you should give it a try ;)
    @Natalia, Liesl & Po is sooooo cute :D You should read it!
    @Elena, the Thirteenth princess was such a nice story. I'll post my review soon. You will love this one!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Reckless and Changeling sound really good. Great haul!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible.