Review 47. Carrie Ryan - The dead-tossed waves.

Author: Carrie Ryan.
Pages: 416.
Published: Published April 2010 (first published 2009)
Publisher: Gollancz.
Sort: Part 2 of 'The forest of hands and teeth.' (click for the review of the first one)
"That's what I've started to learn about this world. It might give, but it always takes away." Gabry lives a quiet life, secure in her town next to the sea and behind the Barrier. She's content to let her friends dream of the Dark City up the coast while she watches from the top of her lighthouse. Home is all she's ever known and, and all she needs for happiness. But life after the Return is never safe and there are threats even the Barrier can't hold back. Gabry's mother thought she left her secrets behind in the Forest of Hands and Teeth, but, like the dead in their world, secrets don't stay buried. And now, Gabry's world is crumbling. One night beyond the Barrier.. One boy Gabry's known forever and one veiled in mystery.. One reckless moment, and half of Gabry's generation is dead, the other half imprisoned.Now Gabry knows only one thing: if she has any hope of a future, she must face the forest of her mother's past.
Rating: 4 out of 5.

Again, an amazing book. This story tells about Mary's daughter, Gabry (short for Gabrielle). They live in the lighthouse near Vista. Gabry is in love with Catcher, the brother of her best friend Cassie. One night, they decide to go over the walls and that will ruin their lives.

I loved how Gabry struggled with her feelings. She is torn between living a save life and her love for Catcher. Her life get's a total different spin when she meets Elias and finds out about the secret her mother kept away from her for years. Catcher is a great character, I loved everything about him. From his sweet feelings towards Gabry to the fact that he resists his feelings to keep her save. Even in the end, when it's clear that Gabry left him for Elias, he is there to support her.

The only thing I didn't really like was the fact that Gabry is so busy with boys in a world filled with dead and fear. She is sometimes a bit of a whiner, but I also understood her feelings very well. Imagine that your world starts to crumble away, because everybody you love change. I'm really looking forward to read the next book, so I can find out all the pieces of this puzzle :) And the writing is magnificent.

"Sometimes it's those things you can't touch that you need to hold on the most."


8 comments

  1. I havent read the first but the story sounds interesting. awesome review

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mel!
    I read it but didn't enjoy it very much, however I'm glad you did :) The paperback cover is beautiful! I prefer it rather than the hardback one!

    -Kirthi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read the first book in this series and didn't like it well enough to continue on with the series. :( It might have something to do with my disinterest in zombies. Who knows?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uugh. I only allowed myself the short version of your review, haha! but seems like a nice read, though I'm pretty sure my tolerance for slightly whiny girls are way worse than yours. Great review!! <3

    Vivian @ Vivaciously, Vivian

    ReplyDelete
  5. EEEEEE! I've been wanting to read Carrie Ryan's books! I've heard great things about it and the book sounds quite creepy and scary! Hopefully I'll get the chance to read it soon since it sounds so AMAZING!

    Amazing review, Mel! <3 Can't wait to experience Ryan's fantastic writing! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read some but not all of the first book. It was killing me because whoever I was rooting for ended up being infected or dead! I'm glad you enjoyed this. I read the spoiler version trying to remember exactly what happened in the first one. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Omg so happy you enjoyed this I loved this series and the last book is by far the best. I don't recall her feelings switching (been too long lol) but I remember being annoyed at the protags in tohis bok and the 1st. The one in the 3rd is much more likable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Shane, thanks for stopping by!
    @Kirthi, what a shame that you didn't like it! I like this cover too. I'm glad that I have this one in my collection.
    @Jenny, that's a pity, but if you don't like zombies, you should skip those books indeed :)
    @Vivian, I think I could cope with her whiny behaviour, because I could understand where it came from.
    @Celine, ahhhh, I hope you can read them soon and that you are going to love them!
    @Rachel, thanks!
    @Giselle, I'm really liking the third book so far, so it's good to hear that it's the best!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible.