Review 48. Amy Plum - Die for me.

Die for Me (Revenants, #1)Title: Die for me.
Author: Amy Plum.
Pages: 341.
Published: Published May 10th 2011 (first published May 5th 2011)
Publisher: HarperTeen .
Sort: Part one of 'Revenants'
In the City of Lights, two star-crossed lovers battle a fate that is destined to tear them apart again and again for eternity. When Kate Mercier's parents die in a tragic car accident, she leaves her life--and memories--behind to live with her grandparents in Paris. For Kate, the only way to survive her pain is escaping into the world of books and Parisian art. Until she meets Vincent. Mysterious, charming, and devastatingly handsome, Vincent threatens to melt the ice around Kate's guarded heart with just his smile. As she begins to fall in love with Vincent, Kate discovers that he's a revenant--an undead being whose fate forces him to sacrifice himself over and over again to save the lives of others. Vincent and those like him are bound in a centuries-old war against a group of evil revenants who exist only to murder and betray. Kate soon realizes that if she follows her heart, she may never be safe again.
 Rating

My love for covers did it again: tricking me into reading a book, but it's a shame that I liked the cover more than the inside.

Sixteen-year-old Kate moves from Brooklyn to Paris after her parent's dead. She and her sister Georgia leave America to live with their father's parents: two very sweet characters. Kate is depressed and fills her days with watching movies, haunting museums and staring at the ceiling. She lies to her friends when she mails them back and she declines every offer from her sister to join her and her friends. That's how Georgia deals with the loss of her parents:

"It's not you who is dead," she said. "Mom and dad are and they would want you to live."

Kate decides to go to a café to read a book - something I liked about her - when she notices a very handsome boy. After meeting him again, she can't stop thinking about him. Yes, there comes the instant love. A gorgeous face is all it takes. This boy, called Vincent, keeps popping up everywhere Kate is. When she finally has the chance to talk to him, he asks her out. At some point, he acts really strange and that's when they stop seeing each other for a long time. When Kate discovers something that she doesn't understand, she visits him at his house and things only get more complicated.

Vincent is not just a pretty boy, no, he is a Revenant. He dies to save the life of others, but there are also the Numa: a group of people who take lives in order to have their immunity. There is a battle going on between them and Kate is about to find out what it means to have an undead boyfriend with an enemy.

Things I liked. 

-Jules. He is one of the Revenants and he is so funny. He is a real womanizer and I liked him from the first moment I met him.
-The setting. You know, in real life, I don't like Paris. At all. But there is something magical about the Paris in books.
-The Revenants. I thought it was quite original. They are some sort of zombies, without all the craving for human flesh.
-Georgia. She is the opposite of me in most of the things she does, so I think that is was I liked about her. She has a lot of friends, she is easy with new people, she has connections everywhere and she is really protective towards Kate.

Things I didn't liked.
-When you think about the story, it's actually pretty boring. It's all about Kate's love for Vincent, even when she pushes him away and her sadness because of her parent's dead. There is only some real story in the end of the book, but that wasn't enough to get me really entertained.
-The way everything seems to go perfect. Kate falls in love with Vincent right away and of course: he is attracted to her too. When Vincent takes over in Kate's body (when his body is down in hibernation, his spirit is free to move out of the body), everything ends well, while most people would become crazy. Their brains can't handle it, but Kate is one of a kind.. Yeah, right. And she can hear his voice when he is in his ghost appearance: and that's super rare.

Opinion.
Kate was alright. The story was a bit too boring for me, but I will give the next one a try, because I heard so many great things about it.


8 comments

  1. Ouch. I agree though, the story is a bit boring. Book 2 is a little bit better but still boring. This series is not for me.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, shucks. It's those gorgeous covers that get us, isn't it? :') I remember reading this book and being slightly disappointed too! The insta-love just too over this book and made it not-as-amazing as it could've been wish such a cool world. But the Paris setting was beautiful, and Jules was my favourite too! How could you not love him?? A womanizer with a sense of humor? Check! x)

    Awesome honest review, Mel! The romance gets a bit better in the second because we already know they're in love, so hopefully that helps :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh... it's too bad you were a bit bored, Mel, but I still really liked your review ^_^ Don't blame you for falling for the cover, though. Happens to all of us X_X and is it just me, or does the cover seem extremely similar to that magic troll series...(name forgotten). Anyhow, great review! <3

    Vivian @ Vivaciously, Vivian

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I agree with your negative points actually! I did enjoy this book overall, but it wasn't spectacular for me. The plot wasn't great, but I did like the characters. I suppose the cover tricked me a little too. ;) Nice review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  5. sniff. Im so sad you didnt enjoy it as much as I. I love these books and specially the zombie twist! =9 oh and Vincent of course XDD ooof Paris! <3 <3
    great review sweetheart, Im glad you still want to read the next one :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sigh! I bought this one because the cover was so lovely. I haven't read it yet, though. Looks like I'm not missing much. That's the problem with these YA paranormal romances. They're too similar. They all have the same plot and hang on the romance rather than the story. :( I'll still read it...but only because I own it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lol yeah it's really all about their love story with not a huge action plot. I did absolutely love the setting, too, it's what made me really enjoy the book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. meh, didnt even finish this book. Ill admit that it was really good until it came to the part where the guy and the girl instaluv killed me on the spot. not my kind of book. surreal. Great review Mel, its so cool that you still watn to read the second installment. Hope that one will be better. x

    Ƹ̴Ӂ̴ƷFICBOOKREVIEWSƸ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible.