Wednesday, June 06, 2012 16:47

Review 41. Kiersten White edition.

Paranormalcy (Paranormalcy, #1)Title: Paranormalcy.
Author: Kiersten White.
Pages: 335.
Published: September 1st 2012 (first published August 31st 2010)
Publisher: HarperTeen.
Sort: Part one of Paranormalcy.
Weird as it is working for the International Paranormal Containment Agency, Evie’s always thought of herself as normal. Sure, her best friend is a mermaid, her ex-boyfriend is a faerie, she's falling for a shape-shifter, and she's the only person who can see through paranormals' glamours, but still. Normal. Only now paranormals are dying, and Evie's dreams are filled with haunting voices and mysterious prophecies. She soon realizes that there may be a link between her abilities and the sudden rash of deaths. Not only that, but she may very well be at the center of a dark faerie prophecy promising destruction to all paranormal creatures. So much for normal.
Rating: 

This book made me laugh a couple of times, because it was so funny. Instead of swearing, Evie says 'bleep' That's because her best friend is a mermaid and her words are translated by a computer who only says 'bleep' if Lish swears.

Sometimes it was a bit too immature for me. Like all the pink and glittery stuff, but on the other hand, it made her a real teenager. She's a kickass, tough girl who is funny, sweet and hard at the same time. She's someone who not only can see the real person behind the glamour outside, but she's also very good at seeing the truth. Just like the fact she decides to trust Lend, a boy made out of water. Or the fact that she doesn't trust faeries. I like the fact that the faeries are so different in this book: they are scary!

Supernaturally (Paranormalcy, #2)Title: Supernaturally.
Pages: 336.
Published: July 26th 2011.
Publisher: HarperTeen.
ISBN: 0061985864 (ISBN13: 9780061985867)
Sort: Part two of Paranormalcy

Evie finally has the normal life she’s always longed for. But she’s shocked to discover that being ordinary can be . . . kind of boring. Just when Evie starts to long for her days at the International Paranormal Containment Agency, she’s given a chance to work for them again. Desperate for a break from all the normalcy, she agrees. But as one disastrous mission leads to another, Evie starts to wonder if she made the right choice. And when Evie’s faerie ex-boyfriend Reth appears with devastating revelations about her past, she discovers that there’s a battle brewing between the faerie courts that could throw the whole supernatural world into chaos. The prize in question? Evie herself.
Rating: 

Again a quick and fun read. I think I enjoyed this book more than the first one, because there were so many things going on. Evie is finally leading her 'normal' life (especially because the agency thinks she died), but she's not really satisfied. She wants more. So when she's contacted to get some missions, she makes up her mind and decides to do it. That gives some tension between her and Lend; he hates the agency for what they did to him an all the other people.

But things have changed. They're hunting the bad guys now. They even stopped using fairies all the time, because there's Jack. He grew up in the fairy world and he has trained himself to use the same doors as the fairies do. But.. he keeps showing up and it gives Evie a hard time. Her relationship with Lend is really on the edge and when they fight, everything comes out and she leaves with Jack.

Things are not going as planned..
Evie is more mature (even though she's still into pink, a color I actually quite dislike) and she really stands up for herself. And I like Arianne, the depressed and funny vampire. I can’t wait for the next book.
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

13 comments:

  1. Great mini reviews! Supernaturally felt a bit too immature for me too at times, but I also thought it was a quick fun read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so badly want to read this but haven't got through all the books I have to read yet. Oh sometimes we just need to read for us. LOL After your review I'm going to do just that. Can't wait Wonderful review Thanks:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I felt so similar about these books as you, Mel! They're really fun and sweet and smile-inducing for sure, especially with the whole "bleep" thing -- that's one of my favourite parts too! But they don't really have the most depth and at times, Evie can be a little immature, which definitely isn't something you want a 15-year-old saying about a 16/17-year-old LOL x) Still, I love how the faeries are kind of scary in these books too!

    Amazing mini-reviews, Mel! Hopefully Endlessly is enough to WOW us both! ;) <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked these too! They were funny and light but still had serious stuff going. I just got the third one for review and can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hehe, your statement about pink makes me smile, Mel! <3 I see your lovely blog's background and I think I fall in love with the pink! So pretty. <3 Evie is immature sometimes, but I still like her very much. She's strong and I adore that she loves cheesy TV series - very cute! xD

    Awesome mini reviews, Mel! <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mel I liked the first book in this series, although it didn't blow my socks off. I'm glad to see you like the 2nd book better than the first because I still need to read it and that makes me more excited for it. Lovely review! I guess the last one comes out in July! Nice, I could wait and read 2 and 3 close and not forget everything like I usually do! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the mini reviews. I have the first book, I believe. It sounds like a cute read. I like that it has humor, so I hope that will help me get past that the MC might be a bit immature.

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Sam, thanks for stopping by!
    @Krista, happy reading then! I hope you're going to like them ^^
    @Mimi, the cover from Endlessly is so pretty! If the inside is just as good, we're definitely going to love it :D Haha.
    @Candance, you are lucky then! Happy reading!
    @Hilda, haha, I liked that too. Cheesy tv shows are fun to watch sometimes :p Thanks!
    @Rachel, I would do that if I were you then. It's a shame if you forget a lot of things. I have that sometimes too.
    @Shooting Stars Mag, you are welcome. The humor is definitely enough to enjoy the book!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah ! :D
    I'm you 200th follower ! :D :D
    I'm special :P

    I read these two books when they came out and I ended up loving them, but I think I completely forgot what happened. :O
    I do remember it being a really fun series though ! :)
    I might have to go back and read them again before the final book comes out. :)
    Lovely reviews, Mel !

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read the first one and it's super fun. I haven't read the sequel yet and I've been seeing mixed reviews on it so I'm super curious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Still need to read these - I think I'll wait until a time when I'm in the mood for sometime light and fun because from the sound of your review, these would be perfect for then!

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL, I love the bleep idea. It's different. I think this book sounds pretty good. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Nick, that's so cool! Thanks for following :D
    @Giselle, I saw some mixed reviews too before I read it, but I end up loving it more than the first one. So I hope you have the same thing!
    @Aylee, they are perfect for something light, fluffy and fun ^^
    @Jennifer, haha, that was indeed a very funny part of the story.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0