Saturday, June 16, 2012 12:09

Review 45. Lauren DeStefano – Wither.

Wither (The Chemical Garden, #1)Title: Wither.
Author: Lauren DeStefano.
Pages: 358.
Published: March 22nd 2011.
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Books For Young Readers.
ISBN: 1442409053 (ISBN13: 9781442409057).
Sort: Part one of The Chemical Garden.
By age sixteen, Rhine Ellery has four years left to live. She can thank modern science for this genetic time bomb. A botched effort to create a perfect race has left all males with a lifespan of 25 years, and females with a lifespan of 20 years. Geneticists are seeking a miracle antidote to restore the human race, desperate orphans crowd the population, crime and poverty have skyrocketed, and young girls are being kidnapped and sold as polygamous brides to bear more children. When Rhine is kidnapped and sold as a bride, she vows to do all she can to escape. Her husband, Linden, is hopelessly in love with her, and Rhine can’t bring herself to hate him as much as she’d like to. He opens her to a magical world of wealth and illusion she never thought existed, and it almost makes it possible to ignore the clock ticking away her short life. But Rhine quickly learns that not everything in her new husband’s strange world is what it seems. Her father-in-law, an eccentric doctor bent on finding the antidote, is hoarding corpses in the basement. Her fellow sister wives are to be trusted one day and feared the next, and Rhine is desperate to communicate to her twin brother that she is safe and alive. Will Rhine be able to escape--before her time runs out? Together with one of Linden's servants, Gabriel, Rhine attempts to escape just before her seventeenth birthday. But in a world that continues to spiral into anarchy, is there any hope for freedom?
 Rating:

The concept of this book is a society in which girls are forced into polygamous marriages. The older generations are losing their young children because of a virus. A long time ago, someone invented a cure for sickness, so everybody becomes older and older.. But now it takes a turn and it makes the children die younger. Girls age till 20 years, boys become 25. The only solution; making more babies and finding a cure. That’s how we meet Rhine. She is kidnapped and sold as a bride to Linden. There is only one thing she wants: escaping. Gabriel, one of Linden’s servants, wants to help her. Will she find a way to escape this polygamous marriages? Can she escape her creepy father-in-law, who has a lot of bodies in the basement in his attempt to finding the antidote?

I felt sad for the girls in this book, even though Cecily was a very annoying character. I never felt the real love from Linden towards Rhine. He was more of a victim, but I don’t feel any pity for him. I'm looking forward to read more about this.
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

16 comments:

  1. I had a strange relationship with the characters too but I liked this book overall. Nice mini review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice review! I didn't love this one but I want to read book 2 just to see how things go. There we so many things left unexplained in book 1 so I'm looking forward to seeing the answers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY so glad to hear you enjoyed this one! I just got the sequel from the library so I am totally looking forward to reading it!!!!! Thanks for the awesome review :-) Looking forward to more of your reviews :-)

    Following your blog on both Linky and GFC :) Feel free to stop by my blog!
    SeeitORreadit

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh, the world in this one just did NOT make enough sense for my liking. Still, it was a fast read and entertaining. Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to see that you liked it. I don't read that much dystopian but this is one of my favs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great mini review! I didn't enjoy this book, even though so many told me to read it but I know that a lot of people have loved it! I hope you enjoy book 2!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I've wanted to read this for awhile but never have time to fit it in. Hopefully soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Tinkerbell, you are welcome!
    @Sam, thanks ^^
    @Nicola, that's one of the reasons I can't wait to read Fever.
    @Jaskirat, oehh, happy reading!
    @Jenny, sorry to hear that.
    @Jenny, I'm glad that you enjoyed it so much :)
    @Vegan YA nerds, always funny to see how opinions can be so different!
    @Christy, I hope that you can read it soon and that you are going to like it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice review! I liked wither as well. But it's so unfair that men can live for 25 years and women only for 20 years >.<
    We have exactely the same amount of followers, lol.

    Love, Mar

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awe awesome mini review!! This is the first one I've read, and I loved it!! I'm thinking I should start doing this too! :) I LOVED Wither too! And yeah, I felt so bad for the girls in this book. Linden was way too cowardly and squeamish for me... I preferred Gabriel! He was so sweet to Rhine. <3 Rhine is such a kick ass heroine, no?? Fab mini review Mel sweetie!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great mini-review! I have Fever waiting on me...need to pick it up soon. I'm dying to know what happened after Wither!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic mini-review! Linden tugged at my heartstrings. And I felt really bad for Cecily as well! I loved Fever... I hope you do too :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Short and sweet. Lovely, Mel! <3 You're one of the people I missed most while I was off studying my brains rotten!!! <333 -hugs- And yes, I've secretly read this during some point in my hiatus, so I really do agree with you. Cecily did tick me off as well, though in the end, I felt terribly sorry for her. Looking forward to reading your future posts again!!!

    Vivian @ Vivaciously, Vivian

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Mar, that's so unfair indeed!
    @The teen book guru, I'm glad that you like my short reviews! They are very handy when you want to point out a book!
    @Starryeyedjen, I can't wait to read Fever either!
    @Ajoop.S, ohhhh, I hope so! :D
    @Vivian, YOU ARE BACK! Jeeeeej! Looking forward to read your comments ^^

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great review Mel. I love how you break it down. I'm waiting for all books in the series to be out before I read these. The concept sounds interesting and icky at the same time! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0