Wednesday, July 04, 2012 13:39

Review 50. Carrie Ryan – The dark and hollow places.

The Dark and Hollow Places (The Forest of Hands and Teeth, #3) Title: The dark and hollow places.
Author: Carrie Ryan.
Pages: 374.
Published: March 22nd 2011
Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers
Sort: Third and last part of ‘The forest of hands and teeth.’ 
Click for my reviews of the other two books:
Part #1. The forest of hands and teeth.
Part #2. The dead-tossed waves.
There are many things that Annah would like to forget: the look on her sister's face before Annah left her behind in the Forest of Hands and Teeth, her first glimpse of the Horde as they swarmed the Dark City, the sear of the barbed wire that would scar her for life. But most of all, Annah would like to forget the morning Elias left her for the Recruiters.  Annah's world stopped that day, and she's been waiting for Elias to come home ever since. Somehow, without him, her life doesn't feel much different than the dead that roam the wasted city around her. Until she meets Catcher, and everything feels alive again.  But Catcher has his own secrets. Dark, terrifying truths that link him to a past Annah has longed to forget, and to a future too deadly to consider. And now it's up to Annah: can she continue to live in a world covered in the blood of the living? Or is death the only escape from the Return's destruction?
Rating:

Spoilers if you haven't read the other books.

Let me say that this was a dark book, filled with despair and broken characters. I loved it! Yes, sometimes it felt depressing, but let’s face it: the world these characters live in isn’t a happy place. Zombies, Mudo’s, Unconsecrated, Plague rats, call them what you want, are ruling the world. It’s not a pretty picture.

It’s one thing to know a truth in your head, but another to understand it in your heart.” 


Anna lives in The Dark City. The place where she went to with Elias after abandoning her sister Abigail in The forest of hands and teeth. She is scared that Elias is dead, so she wants to leave the city. She has no easy life. She must fight and struggle to survive, especially since The Recruiters are becoming violent and unfair. That’s when Catcher and Gabry/Abigail arrive. There is a lot of fuss and they capture Gabry. When Annah tries to save Gabry, she is attacked by a group of men and Catcher saves her life. They flee into the tunnels under the city.

”’You don’t deserve the air you breathe, you dirty plague bag and I hope you all die deaths as ugly as you are!’ And even though my mouth is dry, I spit at him as best as I can.”

Fast-paced, tense writing. Wonderful characters. I loved how brave and vulnerable Annah was at the same time. I could identify with her insecurity. She survived a lot of things and I don’t think I would be able to do the same thing. Her love interest with Catcher was believable. They really grew toward each other and they were so cute together! Dark and scary, like a zombie book is supposed to be. There are a lot of anxious moments in which Carrie doesn’t spare her characters. Even in the end, there is a lot of action and zombies. Awesome! This last book was a nice ending to a great trilogy, although I’m sad that this is the last one. I’m not ready to leave them behind! There is still one big question left, but it doesn’t annoy me that much. It just makes me wonder about the world and what is going to happen to them.

I really liked the details; the descriptions made this book vivid and real for me.

Definitely recommended to zombielovers! If you don't like them yet, maybe this is the time to discover your love for them. This was my first zombie series and I totally fell in love with them, so perhaps the same thing will happen to you! :)

author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

10 comments:

  1. I'm glad you liked this Mel! I enjoyed this book too and agree that the characters are wonderful to read about. I loved the writing style. Amazing review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't you just love zombies?? I'm pretty sure The Forest of Hands and Teeth was one of the first zombie books I've ever read, and I really liked it, but for some reason I stopped reading after that! I really, really need to get on reading the next two, especially since you loved them so much! Sure, they can be depressing, but no more than your average dystopian or paranormal book, right? :')

    Awesome review, Mel! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I only read the first book of this series and decided against reading the rest. I'm not a big zombie fan, I guess. I like this cover, though. I hadn't seen it before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you enjoyed this Mel. I read the first one and didn't get on well with it. Ryan was ruthless and spared no punches with the fates of her characters! Excellent review and now even though I didn't read about these characters from the first book I'm curious to know what happened to Annah. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds really interesting. Awesome review and thanks for your honesty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review! I haven't heard of this one but the characters, pace, and author's engaging writing style make me want to try it! I don't really like zombies but I think this one sounds interesting!

    SeeitORreadit

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't heard of this book, but it sounds great. I am sad to say that I have not read a ton of zombie books. I read Dearly, Departed, but I did not enjoy it. The Dark and Hallow Places sounds interesting, so I will check it out. Thanks for the great review.

    And thank you for stopping by my blog! I definitely urge you to borrow The Selection from the library. It is not a book that you want to purchase. You have such a cute blog, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dude wasn't this series aweome!? I'm so glad you liked it! I thoght this was the best of the 3 and much darker than the others. I loved Annah too she was very realistic and Catcher was super sweet! Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Sam, thanks! :D
    @Mimi, I do like zombies ^^ I've fallen in love with them! You should definitely go and read the rest of the books!
    @Jenny, that's a shame, but sometimes, there are things you just don't like :)
    @Rachel, she isn't sparing them, you are right about that. But I found that very realistic, so it didn't bother me.
    @Shane, you are welcome!
    @Jaskirat, I hope you are giving these books a try. They are worth it :D
    @Oh! Paper Pages, I hope you'll check it out :) and thanks for the compliment!
    @Giselle, yeaaaah, it was amazing! The forest of hands and teeth is still my favorite, but this one is a close second ^^

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm disappointed in myself for not knowing about this series! I love zombies, and definitely need to check it out!! I kind of oddly love dark reads, haha. Great review.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0