Review 51. Tracy Lynn – Snow.

Snow: A Retelling of Title: Snow: A retelling of “Snow white and the seven dwarfs.”
Author: Tracy Lynn.
Pages: 272.
Published:  October 24th 2006. (first published February 1st 2003)
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Sort: Stand alone, but part of the' ‘Once upon a time.’
In a tiny Welsh estate, a duke and duchess lived happily, lacking only a child—or, more importantly, a son and heir to the estate. Childbirth ultimately proved fatal for the young duchess. After she died, the duke was dismayed to discover that he was not only a widower, but also father to a tiny baby girl. He vowed to begin afresh with a new wife, abandoning his daughter in search of elusive contentment. Independent—virtually ignored—and finding only little animals and a lonely servant boy as her companions, Jessica is pale, lonely and headstrong…and quick to learn that she has an enemy in her stepmother. "Snow," as she comes to be known, flees the estate to London and finds herself embraced by a band of urban outcasts. But her stepmother isn't finished with her, and if Jessica doesn't take control of her destiny, the wicked witch will certainly harness her youth—and threaten her very life…
Rating:

This story is a modern/different version of Snow White and I absolutely loved it. I think the characters in this book are really sweet. The fact that the seven dwarfs are totally different than in the real story is nicely done. And I also liked that she didn't end with just a prince, but with the one she truly loves. It's not like the instant love we see in Disney, but a 'we're friends and I start to like you more and more,' relationship.
 
Snow loses her mother when she was young and her father never looked at her again. She reminded him too much of her mother and he blames her for it. So, she grew up as a strange duchess; instead of leaning how to behave like a real woman, she spends all her time in the kitchen. Instead of making nice clothes, she climbs in trees with the boys. That's something I like about her so much, she's so alive and she doesn't worry about what people think.

But then, there comes an end to her free life. Her father remarries, for he wants a boy to take over the property when he dies. The woman is not capable of getting a child, so she starts to find other ways to 'make' one. In the real meaning of making; she wants Snow's heart for it. Snow flees and she comes in the big city. She is lost and she wants to sleep, but that place is already taken by Cat.

That's how Snow comes to a group of thieves 'The lost ones'. They must steal, because nobody would hire people who look like animals. Snow manages to get herself a place as some sort of housemaid. She’s actually pretty happy. She slowly wins their trust and soon, they all become friends. There is even a hint of love, but her happiness is about to change. When she get’s a message of her stepmother, Snow decides to forgive her, but things go terrible wrong. She get’s in some kind of coma and it lasts for almost three years. In the mean time, her friends are searching for a cure and when they find it, Snow has no memory at all.

Are her friends capable of getting her memory back? Is this the moment where true love can break any spell?

Conclusion.
-
I like the original seven dwarfs. Not only that, they were all fantastic personalities.
-The writing style. It’s very easy and fast, but still manages to capture that real fairytale feeling.
-Snow is a nice character! In the Disney story, Snow White is one of my least favorite princesses, but I actually started to like her in this book. She has more spunk, even when she is a bit naive when it comes to her stepmother.

Definitely go and get your own copy of this book, especially if you are a huge fan of fairytales and retellings like me. I promise you that you are going to like it! :)

12 comments

  1. i love retellings..like this premise and glad you liked it. great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omigosh! A Snow White retelling! <3 Fantastic review, Mel! I definitely shall read this too! It's so good that the dwarves have great personalities! I think that would be such a great touch! and awww, Snow White was Vivi's favourite princess, haha! Who was your favourite then?

    Vivian @ Vivaciously, Vivian

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Shane, thanks!
    @Vivian, you can better ask who IS, haha. And it's Belle from beauty and the beast! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like fairy tale retellings. I need to check this one out because Snow White was never a favorite of mine either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Niiice! I read this one years and years ago! And I soooo loved it! This book is apart of a multi author series if you didn't know by now. And I read a lot of them years and years ago! They were all pretty good too! Nice interesting twists to fairy tales! This one was by far my fave from the collection!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Somehow whenever someone warns me about potential spoilers, I just want to read it more :')

    But anywaaaaaays, I LOVE your review, Mel! I've never heard of this book before, but I have this huge love for any kind of fairytale re-telling -- and I adore Snow White especially because that dwarves are all so fun! It makes me so excited to read this since you mentioned how different the dwarves are and how the romance isn't instantaneous! :) CAN'T WAIT! <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love love love this whole series! My favourite fairytales are Wild Orchid (Mulan), Water Song (frog prince) and Crimson Thread (Rumplestiltskin) :D

    The funny thing is, Snow is the only book I haven't read in the series, guess I'll have to go read it now!

    Lovely review! I just adore retellings of fairytales *dreamy sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Jenny, perhaps this will help you to like Snow more, just like me ^^
    @Jessica, yeah, I know about the other books. They are great as well! :D
    @Mimi, luckily, I always try to use as less spoilers as I can, so it doesn't spoil all the fun ^^ I'm glad that you liked my review and I think you'll love this one! :D
    @Sel, I still want to read Water song! I liked Wild Orchid & Crimnson thread :D You should definitely read this one too *also dreamy sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't heard of this book before but the cover is GORGEOUS! I really need to read more historical fiction books because I do ADORE them! ;)

    Anyway, awesome review, Mel! ♥ Glad you enjoyed it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Since I would love to read this book myself, I read your rating and conclusion only. Thank you. I now know that I will read it and will have to read your review in full after I have read the book.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Celine, yeah, the cover is great! I love how the books look together (because the covers from the other Once upon a time are the same style)
    @Fabr Steph, you are welcome! I look forward to hear from you when you read it :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that you review older titles. I can't think of any modern-day Snow White retellings. How cool!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible.