Monday, July 16, 2012 00:02

Review 53. Zoë Marriott – The swan kingdom.

The Swan KingdomTitle: The swan kingdom.
Author: Zoë Marriott.
Pages: 272.
Published: March 25th 2008
Publisher: Candlewick Press..
Sort: Stand alone.
Shadows fall across the beautiful, lush kingdom after the queen is attacked by an unnatural beast, and the healing skills of her daughter, Alexandra, cannot save her. Too soon the widowed king is spellbound by a frightening stranger, a woman whose eyes reflect no light. In a terrifying moment, all Alexandra knows disappears, including her beloved brothers, leaving her banished to a barren land. But Alexandra has more gifts than she realizes as she confronts magic, murder, and the strongest of evil forces, and is unflinchingly brave as she struggles to reclaim what is rightfully hers. Fantasy lovers will be held in thrall by this tale full of visual detail, peppered with a formidable destructive force and sweetened with familial and romantic love.
Rating: Favorite.
 
Alexandra lives pretty happy with her three brothers, mother and father. She always feels like her father doesn't really love her (and I hate to admit that I think that's the case.. but I though he wasn't a nice character anyway). Her mother gives her therefore more than enough love and she teaches her daughter a lot about the land and plants. Her mother is magical and it seems that Alexandra is too.

One day, her mother dies. Alexandra is full of grief and even her father seems sad. He decides to hunt for the beast that killed her mother, but everyday he returns empty handed. Until he comes home with a woman. She's beautiful and she enchants everybody, expect Alexandra and her three brothers. They see the evil inside this woman and Alexandra suspects that this woman is the beast.

In their hope to reveal the truth, she and her brother try to find something special; Alexandra tells them that the woman must have some kind of talisman to keep up her appearance, because it's tough to use so much power all the time. When they find it, her brothers are transformed into swans and Alexandra is send away to her aunt.

Besides the fact that she lost her brothers, it’s actually quite nice there. She meets a boy (he is so cute!) but when she is asked to return, Alexandra must escape to save her life. It’s up to her to break the curse that is laid upon her brothers. Can she rescues them?

Likes.
-Alexandra is a strong character. She is loving and has a big heart. She will do anything to save her brothers, even when it means that she’ll suffer.
-Her love interest is well-written and I think they are super cute together!
-It’s about the swan princess. What else can I say?
-The writing style is easy and fast-paced.

I’d recommend this book to fairytale lovers and even to people who don’t like them. It's such a great book.

Other books.
If you like this one, you will enjoy Juliet Marillier – The daughter of the forest. It tells the same story, but it has more Celtic elements in it. That book is really phenomenal.
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

8 comments:

  1. You might as well be pointing a magical wand at me and saying, "You will read this book!" Because that's how compelled I feel right now to pick this up! x) I absolutely LOVE fairytale re-tellings (my favourite book of the year is one), and I love that this is based off of the swan princess! Alexandra sounds like a wonderful girl even though her father isn't great, and I have a huge weakness for romances that can be summed up with the word "cute!" x)

    Amazing review, Mel! I just added this book thanks to you ;) <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard of this before but wow as a fairy tale lover this sounds like a book I might enjoy. I haven't heard of it before but the writing and characters sound so engaging. Thanks for the lovely review Mel!

    SeeitORreadit

    ReplyDelete
  3. Swan princess!! How neat this is the first I hear of this book! Sounds like it has great qualities too from what you liked! Nice review, Mel! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh and forgot to add - the cover is totally wicked!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH MY GOD! this book is SO for me!!! fairy tale with tones of Celtic elements? with a cute couple? MEl! thank you so much for reviewing an old book that really deserves more attention. Never heard about this one before sniff!
    thnx so much for sharing this omg!! Love how it sounds. Im totally take a look at it at the bookstore =D
    yay!
    Beautiful review ^_^ muah! XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Mimi, haha, I'm glad that my review did this, because you'll love it!
    @Jaskirat, you're welcome! :D
    @Giselle, yeah, the cover is very pretty! I have another edition and while that one is pretty too, this one is my favorite.
    @Natalia, I love reviewing older books! Sometimes, I have an overload of reviews about the same book, so I like to keep it different over here ^^ and this one totally deserves the attention!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree, this sounds like a great book to pick up. Great review. I'm into high fantasy at the moment too, so perfect timing :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. OOH I haven't heard of this but I <3 fantasy, will put this on my TBR! Love fairy tales!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0