Review 65. Jess Lourey – The Toadhouse.

The Toadhouse Trilogy (Book #1)Title: The Toadhouse Triology.
Author: Jess Lourey.
Pages: 300.
Published
: July 17th 2012 by Toadhouse Books
Source: I was contacted by the author.
Aine (pronounced "Aw-nee") believes herself to be a regular teenager in 1930s Alabama, but when a blue-eyed monster named Biblos attacks, she discovers that the reclusive woman raising her isn't really her grandmother and that she's been living inside a book for the past five years. With her blind brother, Spenser, she flees the pages of the novel she's called home, one terrifying step ahead of Biblos' black magic. Her only chance at survival lies in beating him to the three objects that he desires more than life. As she undertakes her strange and dangerous odyssey, Aine must choose between a family she doesn't remember and her growing attraction to a mysterious young man named Gilgamesh. Only through treacherous adventures into The Time Machine, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, A Tale of Two Cities, and the epic Indian saga The Ramayana will she learn her true heritage and restore the balance of the worlds... if she can stay alive.
Rating

The rating is totally based on the fact that I had the idea that I’m just a bit too old for this book. That’s it. The story is great, the characters are lovely and there is nothing wrong with the writing style. If I was a couple of years younger, I would have loved it.

We get to meet Aine, who is sixteen years old and lives with her blind brother Spenser and her grandmother Glori. She has a companion called Mondegreen. It appears to be a hard woman, although she is good for the children. She took them in after their mother left them – only Aine doesn’t believe her. She wants to search for her mother once she is old enough. For now, she just like to play in the woods with her brother. He is blind, but that doesn’t withhold him from swimming in the pool. When they hear someone scream, Spenser dives into the water and saves a drowning boy called Tru. They are friends right away.

Strange things are going to happen. There comes a message that says that ‘Biblos has arrived’ and Mondegreen introduces them to a boy named Gilgamesh. He owns a Toadhouse. Now, everything happens really fast. They must leave with Gilgamesh to get three keys, so they can return to their original book. Their mother is there waiting for them. Biblosh is a monster and he also wants to get those keys, but they must stop him. He destroys every story he enters. Their world is actually a book and with the Toadhouse, they can travel to other stories.

“When what you find is true, the next object will be revealed to you. There are three, and they will bring you to your true family.”


From that moment, we get to enter different stories with these characters. Gilgamesh is their protector and Tru must return soon, otherwise his story will end; and that’s not a good thing. Biblos is after them, so they must hurry up. Where is the first object and can they find all the keys before Biblos catches them?

Opinion.
Aine doesn’t have any friends and she is teased at school about everything; from the scars on her hands to her ‘to green’ eyes. I don’t understand! She is funny, smart and sweet. She is very protective and I love the relationship between her and her brother. Spenser is awesome. He is easy to be around with and brave.

I really liked the idea of this book. Living inside a tale and being able to travel to your favorite stories. The background story – why Biblos is after them and why there mother is in another book – is perfectly performed. It’s just like I said: I felt like I was a bit too old.

4 comments

  1. That's really interesting, since Aine is apparently 16, yet she was in a world that seemed to be meant for younger kids O_O I agree, though, I definitely got that more-middle-grade-ish feeling from that one quote. Still, the idea sounds really great!! I think younger kids would definitely love it <3 Great review anyway, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, sorry to hear that you didn't like it. I never heard of this book until now, but I think the premise sounds quite awesome. But it also sounds more like MG instead of YA. Me and MG rarely go well together so I think I'll pass. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry that you didn't quite enjoyed this book! I've never heard of this book before too but the cover looks gorgeous and the summary also sounds interesting! Love the quote you put on your review, Mel ;) I would love to live inside a tale. The idea just sounds really amazing!

    Thank you for the awesome and honest review, Mel! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. This happens to me all the time. I read a perfectly fine book but am not a huge fan based on my age. I wish I could enjoy younger books as well as I used to.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible.