Review 79. Lauren Oliver – Delirium.

Delirium (Delirium, #1)
Title: Delirium.
Author: Lauren Oliver.
Pages: 480.
Published: February 1st 2011 (first published January 1st 2011)
Publisher: HarperTeen.
Sort: Part one of ‘Delirium.’
Before scientists found the cure, people thought love was a good thing. They didn’t understand that once love -- the deliria -- blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold. Things are different now. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the government demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Holoway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy. But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: She falls in love.
Rating

It’s always hard when you realize that a book doesn’t live up to your high expectations. I kept seeing this book and everybody seemed so positive about it, that I had to give it a try. Especially in the beginning I didn’t get the excitement. The story fell a bit flat and Lena annoyed me. It became much better in the middle and Lena grew onto me, but Alex made this story work. Want to know why? Keep reading.

"Amor Deliria Nervosa: the deadliest of all deadly things.”

Characters.
Lena is naive and obsessed with the cure. She believes that it will make her life better. Every feeling she has, will be taken away and she can start over. She annoyed me. I can understand that she grew up in this society, but what about Hana? That’s her best friend and she is questioning the government. I really liked Hana and because of her, we met my favorite character: Alex. He is so sweet and charming. When the feelings between him and Lena grew, I melted away. They are cute together! Thanks to him, Lena undergoes a wonderful transformation and I started to like her.

“But it does not tell you this: that love will turn the whole world into something greater than itself.”

Conclusion.
Every chapter starts with a part of a book they have to read. It gives you an idea of the crazy things they want you to believe. It really helps to the world-building. The ending was breath taking and makes me want to start in the next one right away.

The writing style was good. The development of Lena was great, so overall, it was a pleasant read. I just expected too much after the hype, but I can understand why everybody likes it so much. The whole concept is fascinating and scary at the same time.

13 comments

  1. Aw, sorry this didn't live up to your expectations, Mel! I am dying to get my hands on it though. I'm glad you think the ending was breathtaking and that you are looking forward to reading the next book. Fab review!! I just added your blog to my blog roll, don't know why it wasn't there before. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am definitely a bigger fan of Alex than I am of Lena! I liked her less in Pandemonium than Delirium though.

    Great review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yup, I wasn't a huge Lena fan at the beginning either, but I liked how she grew throughout the novel. I haven't read Pandemonium yet but I've heard she's even better in the sequel!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well i am curious about all the propoganda and government control, I have been meaning to read this series but have avoided it due to the dastardly cliffhangers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It has happened to me too that when there is too much hype, my expectations go way to high and then even if the book is awesome, I still feel in need of more. I really loved this book, I gave it a 5 stars but I understand if it didnt lived up to your expectations. Still, Im glad you enjoyed it my dear ^.^
    Btw, I hope you are doing awesome my dear! great review ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vivian the Spirit says: Mel, I LOOOOOVED this review of yours! Making me miss you and your reviews so much >_< Yeah, I agree, I've heard nothing but raving things about this series, and I'm really curious about it because the premise really is quite attention-grabbing! Your summary had me totally hooked too! I already feel irritated by Lena though... really liked your conclusion as well! I'll definitely still give this a shot! Besides the initial annoyance, the characters sound absolutely lovely! <3 Brilliant review, Mel!! -blows kisses- POOF!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely loved this novel! Lauren Oliver has such a way with words. Great review! :)
    Alex @ Possession of Books

    ReplyDelete
  8. gr8 review . i think i'll rather not read it . gr8 review

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have this book, Mel, but I'm waiting until all three are out to pick it up. I hear Lauren Oliver loves the brutal cliffhanger, and I hate them! What a horrifying world! It truly creeps me out! Great review Mel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am going to start the second one this week! Can't wait, the ending is killer right? haha

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great review Mel. I loved Alex and Lena and reading the second book made me crave for the third so I hope you still read this series. x

    ficbookreviews

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a lovely review!! I'm like the only person who hasn't read this book yet, and I have to admit, I'm scared to read it, scared that I'm going to be a little disappointed like you were with this book! I've never heard of anyone changing their thoughts on the protagonist because of boy--Alex must be something special! I'm still really quite excited to read this one, thanks for you honest opinion! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a fantastic review! I haven't read these books yet... in fact, I've never really read anything about them except that a lot of people seem to like them. This definitely makes me want to read it though. Going to add it to my TBR list.

    PS How are you liking Feedcat as opposed to Feedburner? I'm also looking for an alternative as Feedburner has been very glitchy lately. Boo.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible.