Review 82. Alex Flinn – Beastly.

Beastly (Kendra Chronicles #1)
Title:Beastly.
Author: Alex Flinn.
Pages: 304.
Published: October 2nd 2007.
Publisher: HarperTeen.
Sort: Part one ‘Kendra Chronicles.’
I am a beast. A beast. Not quite wolf or bear, gorilla or dog but a horrible new creature who walks upright--a creature with fangs and claws and hair springing from every pore. I am a monster.
You think I'm talking fairy tales? No way. The place is New York City. The time is now. It's no deformity, no disease. And I'll stay this way forever--ruined--unless I can break the spell. Yes, the spell, the one the witch in my English class cast on me. Why did she turn me into a beast who hides by day and prowls by night? I'll tell you. I'll tell you how I used to be Kyle Kingsbury, the guy you wished you were, with money, perfect looks, and the perfect life. And then, I'll tell you how I became perfectly.. beastly.
Rating:

I was really scared to read this book. I’ve seen the book trailer and I hated the look from the boy (it wasn’t beastly at all..), but I decided that I wanted to try it anyway. I liked A kiss in time and I’m so glad I went for it, because it was a good book.

Summary. 
“A beautiful thing is precious, no matter the price. Those who do not know how to see the precious things in life will never be happy.”

Kyle has everything at first sight: he has a rich father, he is handsome, he is popular and he is doing fine in school, but he is mean against people who are ‘less’ in his eyes. The people who aren’t incredibly pretty, who aren’t popular and who study hard for their grades. Like the real Beauty and the beast story, Kyle is ‘spoiled and unkind.’

Kendra arrives at his school and he immediately thinks she is a freak. He finds her ugly and strange, so it should be fun to make a joke out of her, right? With that action, he seals his faith. Kendra puts a spell on him and he takes the appearance of a beast. He has two years to change; to fall in love and let someone fall in love with him.

“You are ugly now, on the inside, where it matters most...you are beastly.”
 
Kyle undergoes a huge transformation. He finds out that his life wasn’t as perfect as he thought and he understand his nasty behavior. When Lindy comes crashing into his life, will he be able to make her fall in love with him before it is too late?

Opinion.
“People make such a big deal about looks, but after a while, when you know someone, you don´t even notice anymore...”
 
I love the concept of this story, that is why Beauty and the beast is my favorite tale. We all judge people based on their appearance, even if we don't want to. I really started to like Kyle. He changes and I loved to see his development throughout the story. It’s written from his POV, so that is great!

Lindy is lovely. She is a huge fan of reading and she has a hard life. Despite all, she never gave up and she does everything to pursue her dreams. She has a nice personality and I thought they were perfect for each other. The only critic I have, is that Lindy feels a bit distant. The other side characters are a great addition to the story, like his blind tutor Will.

If you are a fan of fairytales, you will love this one. Alex didn’t ruin the story, but gave a nice twist to the original story.

preview.php

16 comments

  1. Fantastic review! I love books that have twists on fairy tales but I have yet to read this one. Thanks for posting :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this book:) One of the best book I ever read:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to admit that this one hasn't really appealed to me although I do love Beauty and the Beast but, I do love male narrators so I just might give it a chance. Awesome review!

    Kristin @ Young Adult Book Haven

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed this one too -- I listened to the audiobook and it was really good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I could definitely have fun reading this one, I do love fairy tales. I know there was a movie for this a while back but I never saw it. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really love the message behind Beauty and the Beast, as well. And I also really loved seeing Kyle become more mature and thoughtful over the course of the story! I still haven't seen the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beauty & the Beast is one of my favourites too! I have been thinking about reading this book alot recently & from your review I think I will! So glad you enjoyed it, great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a copy but haven't read it yet. I thought the movie was okay. I hope I can get a chance to read this. I do love fairytales. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ~Sara @ Forever 17 Books

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've seen a lot of modernized fairy tales lately! Kind of a cool concept! Actually, this is the second book I've read about today that is loosely based on Beauty And The Beast!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great review, Mel! I completely agree! Beastly is an awesome fairytale retelling and Alex Flinn did a nice job. Nice review, sweetie! <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. Vivian the Spirit says: OMG, this sounds absolutely fantastic, Mel!!! I really love Beauty and the Beast as well, and I think it was so awesome of you to point out that concept, because it really is an important point and a great lesson in life to always remember. Haven't read a Beauty and the Beast retelling yet, but can't wait for this one to be my first! Thanks for sharing your fabulous review! <33333 POOF!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great review! I really liked this one too! Beauty and the Beast was my favorite story growing up so I really enjoyed this different and modern twist.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This one has been in my sights for a long time, but I always end up pushing it down my list. It sounds like maybe I should pick it up soon. Great Review!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVE this book. I've read all of Alex Flinn's fairy tale retellings, and it's definitely my favorite. :) I think she did a fantastic job modernizing the Beauty & the Beast story. I was a little disappointed when I watched the movie and they didn't really make him super "beastly." I imagined him with A LOT more scarring in the book, but I guess the point was that he was super beastly on the inside.

    Have you read Bewitching by Alex Flinn? Kendra's in it, and it's really good!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I didn't liked the movie, so I never picked up the book. I do love the fairytale! Yes, I really do. ;)
    I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. AHHH I LOVE THIS BOOK SO MUCH. I've already read it twice and I loved it both times equally as much. I totally love the way Alex used Beauty and the Beast, she did it well! Lovely review! <3

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible.