Sunday, October 14, 2012 15:53

Review 85. Carolyn MacCullough – Once a witch.

Once a Witch (Witch, #1)Title: Once a witch.
Author: Carolyn MacCullough.
Pages: 292.
Published: September 14th 2009.
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.
Sort: Part one of ‘Witch.’
Tamsin Greene comes from a long line of witches, and she was supposed to be one of the most Talented among them. But Tamsin's magic never showed up. Now seventeen, Tamsin attends boarding school in Manhattan, far from her family. But when a handsome young professor mistakes her for her very Talented sister, Tamsin agrees to find a lost family heirloom for him. The search—and the stranger—will prove to be more sinister than they first appeared, ultimately sending Tamsin on a treasure hunt through time that will unlock the secret of her true identity, unearth the sins of her family, and unleash a power so vengeful that it could destroy them all.
Rating:

“I was born on the night of Samhain, when the barrier between the worlds is whisper-thin and when magic, old magic, sings its heady and sweet song to anyone who cares to hear it.”
 
Tamsin is born into a family with witches. There was told that she would become one of the most powerful witches, but her magic never showed up. She is sixteen years old and she attends a boarding school, because she wants a normal life. That is until a man called Allistair appears in her life. He thinks she is her talented sister Rowena and she accepts the job. He wants to find an old clock back. How lucky that Tamsin’s old friend Gabriel returned, because his Talent is finding lost things.

They make a little trip back in time and that’s when all hell breaks lose. Are they able to fix their mistake before it is too late? If not, this might be the end of her family.

Opinion.
Tamsin is lovely! She has quite some temper and she stands up for her believes. Gabriel sounds attractive and I love their attraction. They had a nice dynamic and their conversations were fun. It was nice to read a book that isn’t about romance. 

The plot is predictable, but it doesn’t spoil the fun. It delivered enough action and excitement for me. It was a quick and fun read. It felt a bit like Hex Hall. Nothing too fancy going on, boarding school, likable characters and enough pace to keep the story interesting.

preview.php
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

13 comments:

  1. Ooooh, a 'new' teen witch series! I'm going to check if my library has it! =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. This seems like an entertaining book to spend time, Mel! ♥ I really like the teaser, the writing is very lovely! I think I'm going to expect fun, nothing less or more, when I read this book! Tamsin seems like a typical heroine in YA with her temper and recklessness, but I bet we can't hate her still! ♥

    Lovely review, Mel! ♥ Anyway, I love your ratings - so so cute! No is too old for for fairytale, right? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's good that even though this one was predictable you still had a lot of fun with it. It sounds like a good read, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never heard of this one before, but your review (and the title of the book) has really got me intrigued! Too bad about the predictability, though I'm glad it didn't ruin the fun.

    Got to check this out on Goodreads!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the new covers for this series! I'm glad that it's a quick and fun read. I get in the mood for those types. Can't wait to read it. Great review :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. This series often flies under my radar, but it actually sounds like something I would really enjoy. Besides the fact that it has the combination of boarding school + magic, I mean :) Great review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been eying this one up for a while now, I nearly didn't recognise it there though as the cover is so different. I'm glad you enjoyed it even with the predictability! Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love books about boarding school! And Tasnim does sound like a great character! I'm glad it was fun even though predictable! lovely review Mel!
    - Farah @ MajiBookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Mel! Thanks for dropping by! :) I've been meaning to read this book for years (literally) and I'm glad that you enjoyed it! Btw. Love your Eeyore signature! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds delightful. Sometimes predictable is ok, and this looks perfect for the witchy season!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, Mel, this sounds FUN!
    I seriously don't know how, btu I hadn't heard of this one before and... well, I want to hear a LOT more now! ^__^

    ReplyDelete
  12. It ISN'T about romance? Well, you convinced me! It's not that I dislike romance, I just hate when they put the pot on the back burner to make room for a sappy romance. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooh, I like the sound of the mc and romance! I haven't read many witch books, but I'll have to check this out. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0