Monday, October 29, 2012 13:51

Review 89. Cameron Dokey – Before midnight.

Before Midnight: A Retelling of "Cinderella"Title: Before Midnight.
Author
: Cameron Dokey.
Pages: 193.
Published: March 6th 2007. Publisher: Simon Pulse
Sort: Part of the ‘Once upon a time’ series.
Tracy Lynn: –Snow.
Debbie Viguié: –Midnight pearls.
Suzanne Weyn: –The crimson thread.
Cameron Dokey:- Wild Orchid.
Cameron Dokey: –Sunlight and shadow.
Cameron Dokey: –Beauty sleep, Glden & Belle.
Etienne de Brabant is broken hearted. His wife has died in childbirth, leaving him alone with an infant daughter he cannot bear to name. But before he abandons her for king and court, he brings a second child to be raised alongside her, a boy whose identity he does not reveal. The girl, La Cendrillon, and the boy, Raoul, pass sixteen years in the servants' care until one day a very fine lady arrives with her two daughters. The lady has married La Cendrillon's father, and her arrival changes their lives. When an invitation to a great ball reaches the family, La Cendrillon's new stepmother will make a decision with far-reaching effects. Her choice will lead La Cendrillon and Raoul toward their destiny -- a choice that will challenge their understanding of family, test their loyalty and courage, and, ultimately, teach them who they are.
Rating:

Summary.
Constanze, named after her mother who passed away during childbirth, goes by the name of Cendrillon. She got this name from the one who raised her, Old Mathilde. This old woman is a perfect replacement for her father, who never cared for her. He saw her one time and that was when he dumbed a baby boy at their house. Without a name or past, Old Mathilde raised him as her brother and called him Raoul.

Sixteen years later, her father sends his new wife and two stepdaughters to Cendrillon. They expect that Cendrillon is a servant, because Etienne never told them about her. Will she be able to tell the truth? Will they accept her in the family? And where did Raoul come from?

Opinion.
My summary is very short and doesn’t give you enough information about the story, but I don’t want to spoil the fun. Let me just tell you that this story is entirely different from the original story. Constanze is a sweet girl who wants to be loved. Luckily for her, she grew up with Raoul, but she always wanted a mother.

There is of course a love interest. It’s very instant-love and I didn’t like it so much in this situation. I wished there was a little more development, because there was room enough to allow that. That’s why I rated this book with 3 princesses instead of the 4 I wanted to give.

The writing-style is great. It reads easy and fast. I finished it in two hours. The characters are nice and the story delivered what I expected: a happily ever after.
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

7 comments:

  1. Too bad on the insta-love! I've gotten really tired of that lately, so I'm thinking it will frustrate me in this case as well, especially since you said there's room for a slower development to happen. Aside from that though, this sounds like a fun and I do love a good happily ever after:) Thanks Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no insta-love! I'm not sure I'll ever get around to reading all the Once Upon a Time series. I mean, I like them, but I don't LOVE them. If I ever run out of other fairy-tale retellings I probably will. Hah. I like how how the authors make the stories different though. :) Great review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty cover and I like the sound of it. I mean, fairy tales often have insta-love, right????

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds interesting and the writing style seems awesome :) The insta-love is unfortunate, but it seems likes everything else is good. Amazing review, I'll definitely check this one out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohh BOO insta-love! But other than that, sounds like it would've been very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry you didn't end up liking this more, but at least it didn't take you long to read. Great review, Mel. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0