Review 104. Cassandra Clare – City of Ashes.

City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments, #2)Title: City of Ashes.
Author: Cassandra Clare.
Pages: 453.
Published: March 25th 2008.
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry Books.
Sort: Part 2 from ‘The mortal instruments.’
Review part 1: City of Bones.
Clary Fray just wishes that her life would go back to normal. But what's normal when you're a demon-slaying Shadowhunter, your mother is in a magically induced coma, and you can suddenly see Downworlders like werewolves, vampires, and faeries? To complicate matters, someone in New York City is murdering Downworlder children. When the second of the Mortal Instruments, the Soul-Sword, is stolen, the terrifying Inquisitor arrives to investigate and zooms right in on Jace. How can Clary stop Valentine if Jace is willing to betray everything he believes in to help their father?
Rating:

I’m happy to say that this book is as good as the first one. The quality of the story and the plot is high and I really enjoyed this book.

Summary.
Clary’s life has drastically changed. From a normal teenager girl to a Shadowhunter with a mother in coma, a new-found brother (Jace) and a transformed friend (Simon) - who might become more than ‘just’ a friend.

Jace is also in trouble. His adoptive mother sends him away, because she is afraid he might turn to his father’s side. When the Inquisitor from the Clave comes for him, he is locked away in the dungeons in the City of Bones. Valentine slays the brothers and takes another Mortal Instrument with him: the Sword. He tries to persuade Jace to join him and his quest.

There are also strange killings going on. Someone is slaying the Downworlders. When Simon and one of Luke’s werewolves are taken away, it’s obvious who took them. Valentine has a master plan; he wants to raise an army of demons to attack the Clave. Can they stop him before it is too late?

Opinion.
I’m still not satisfied with the whole Clary-Jace-brother/sister-thing. It actually made me feel a bit disgusted. So, I better be right about them!

There is a lot going on in this book. (Clary and Simon are in some sort of relationship, Downworlders are dying, her mother doesn’t wake up, Valentine is trying to manipulate Jace and Jace has to deal with the Inquisitor.) Despite that, the story was easy to follow and I liked the constant pace. The plot was good and the ending left me excited for the next book.

There were some things that bothered me. Clary.. I like her, but I expected her to finally kick some butt. She is a Shadowhunter in name, but not in action. She recently found out that she has a gift for Runes, but that is hardly explained. I hope that we will get more background about it. The same for Jace newfound talent.

One major complain I have is a spoiler, so you need to go over the text:
When Valentine sliced Simon’s throat and drained him from his blood, I expected him to die. It would be much more believable. When Jace brought him back to life with his blood,  I could buy it. But when Simon is exposed to the sunlight and he didn’t burn to death, I rolled my eyes. 
“I've got a stele we can use. Who wants to do me?"
"A regrettable choice of words," muttered Magnus.”
Pooh

18 comments

  1. Great review. The series gets SO much better and the brother/sister thing comes into play more (obviously).

    Definitely keep reading!!

    RobynLeanne @ Fairytales and Folklore

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I agree with Robyn, the series get better and better throughout! That reminds me I still need to put up my reveiw for City of Glass-- which was absolutely amazing!!
    I agree with you about Clarly at that point, that she still seems so vulnerable now that she knows that she has her gifts as a shadowhunter, but trust me this will change very very soon ;)!

    I hope you enjoy the rest of the books of the series and I look forward to your reviews ;)

    xx Readiculously-Peachy (http://readiculously-peachy.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely understand how you feel about the whole Clary/Jace thing. I remember losing sleep over it. ;) To echo what the previous commenters have said, this series really does get better with each book. I can't wait to see what you will think of the next one. Brilliant review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review! Even though I've heard SO much about this series, I still haven't gotten around to read it. I probably will soon considering how many readers have loved it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhhh! Love this series! Mainly because Magnus is hilarious. Yeah, the whole brother sister thing wasn't my cup of tea. Can't wait to hear what you think about the next one. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was totally freaked out about the brother sister thing in TMI too. And about the spoiler that frustrates you, it is actually explained in book 3, I think.

    Glad you liked it, though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahhh, I remember being mildly irritated at Clary during the first two books in the series. I'm happy that you enjoyed the plot - it's definitely fast-paced, isn't it? Great review as usual, Mel! :)

    Lyra @ Defiantly Deviant

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this series. Great to hear you enjoyed this book! Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It have always enjoyed reading your articles...very thourough and inciteful. I'm just leaving the comment to appreciate your efforts in disseminating the knowledge. ...will keep following your posts as always.
    Kızlık zarı

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahh I love this series too! I know It was weird with that brother/sister love thingy but keep going and you will surely enjoy it more! Great review Mel x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't read this series yet though I've skimmed the books (bad I know) because my friend is always talking about them. The plot sounds intriguing and I like the fast paced writing of Cassandra Clare. Hopefully I'll be able to truly read the series soon. Great review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Don't worry- the series DOES get much better! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. City of Ashes actually wasn't my favourite book either but don't worry, City of Glass is SUPER AMAZINGGGGG!!!! There's so much action and everything is revealed...and I'm sure you'll love it!! I actually never considered the two sisters and brothers...it just didn't feel right. Great review Mel!<3

    ReplyDelete
  14. I get what you mean about Clary! I liked this book, but not as much as the others. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's funny that we're reading these at the same time and seem to feel exactly the same about them!:) I can't stand the Clary and Jace thing anymore and that thing with Simon felt way to forced to me. Then again, I don't really like Simon. I need City of Glass to give me some answers!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm really glad you and a whole lot of other people enjoy this series. I read the first book and couldn't get into it. But then, I don't really enjoy most Urban Fantasy to begin with. :p Great review Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You're almost there, Mel! City of Glass was definitely a step-up! As expected, I do remember this one being a bit of a bridge in the series <3 I also agree with you on Clary ( I love Tessa better, from TID) she does take a bit of time to warm up towards. I do hope you continue with it, because things get better!! ;) Lovely review as always, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great review! I enjoyed City of Bones but honestly I think I expected to love it more than I did. I still have to read City of Ashes at some point—hopefully soon!!

    And yeah.. the Jace/Clary thing was... ehh.. weird. I'm curious to see how that plays out.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible.