Wednesday, December 19, 2012 20:12

Review 105. Rae Carson – The girl of fire and thorns.

The Girl of Fire and Thorns (Fire and Thorns, #1)Title: The girl of fire and thorns.
Author: Rae Carson.
Pages: 424.
Published: September 20th 2011.
Publisher: Greenwillow.
Sort: Part one ‘Fire and thorns.’
Source: This book was sent by the publisher for an honest review.
Once a century, one person is chosen for greatness. Elisa is the chosen one. But she is also the younger of two princesses, the one who has never done anything remarkable. She can't see how she ever will. Now, on her sixteenth birthday, she has become the secret wife of a handsome and worldly king—a king whose country is in turmoil. A king who needs the chosen one, not a failure of a princess. And he's not the only one who seeks her. Savage enemies seething with dark magic are hunting her. A daring, determined revolutionary thinks she could be his people's savior. And he looks at her in a way that no man has ever looked at her before. Soon it is not just her life, but her very heart that is at stake. Elisa could be everything to those who need her most. If the prophecy is fulfilled. If she finds the power deep within herself. If she doesn’t die young.
Most of the chosen do.
Rating: Favorite.

Wow, just wow! I was speechless when I finished this book. This book blew me away.

Summary.
This story starts on Lucero-Elisa’s (also known as Elisa) wedding. It’s clear that this isn’t based on love. She will marry King Alejandro de Vega, because she isn’t just a princess. She is the bearer from the Godstone. This is a stone placed by God into the navel of the Chosen One. This person is destined for greatness, but most of them die before they can complete their Service. She will be much safer in Alejandro’s county and her father, King from Orovalle, promised an army against Invierne. There has been a war before and there will be a new war soon. When she is kidnapped and dragged into the desert, it’s clear that something is going on. Invierne is strong, because they have animagus; people with magic – and she is the only one who can battle against it with her own magic.

Opinion.
This book is a roller coaster when it comes to your emotions! Rae doesn’t spare her main character. Be prepared, that’s all I have to say. There were some parts of this story.. If you have read this book, I think you all know what I’m talking about.

You are plunged into the story of Elisa, a girl with a low self-esteem because of her appearance. She loves to eat and nobody can look beyond her ‘fat’ appearance. I liked her right away. She is so kind and intelligent! I recognized her shyness, but I loved her development in this story. She is very brave. There is also Humberto, this boy is great! He is caring, even when he is one of her captivators. He is doing it for a good cause and he treats her so sweet. I liked the way their feelings developed and I was rooting for them to be together. There are also other characters and they play important roles in this book. I love that the secondary characters were so well-written. You really get to know them.

This story is filled with action and world-building. Even when they are traveling for over a month in the desert, I was never bored by the story. There were enough details to understand how much Elisa suffered, but it was fast enough to keep the pace high. The plot was great. I liked how this story builds toward it and it definitely delivered. I was afraid that the religious aspect might bother me, but that wasn't the case at all!

I can’t wait to read the next book, because I’m hooked! If you like (high) fantasy, I recommend to read this book as soon as possible.Pooh
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

41 comments:

  1. Elisa sounds like a great character to read about! I also like that through her appearance she's a bit different than most heroines. I'm all for diversity. I really like fantasy books so I must check this one out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is there romance? That's what I need to know. I received an ARC which I still have not read, because my back cover doesn't mention romance. I pulled it out and I have it on my shelf. Contemplating. I just need to know there is romance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is some romance yes, but this story isn't build on it. It plays a tiny role and I want to warn you.. I don't want to say anything, because I'm afraid to spoiler, but it's perhaps not the romance you want :)

      Delete
  3. This one sounds like a great read, I've been dying to read it for ages so it might be one of the first books I read in the new year.
    Great review!
    -Kimberly @ Turning the Pages

    ReplyDelete
  4. AAAH HIII MELLL!!!!!!!!! How have you been?? Miss me? :P Sorry I've been kinda absent lately- I was on a short blogging break but I'm back and WOW I'm so happy I came back just in time to see your review of this book because it's so great and it's one of my favorite books as well! Smart minds think alike, huh? Can't wait for the second book either! ;) Great review as always, Mel-sweetie. Missed you! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HEEEEEEY! Yes, I've missed you!! I've visited your blog every day, so I'm glad that you are back girl! I'm now heading over to your blog to leave a happy message ^^

      Delete
  5. Have to get my hands on this book SOON. Your review is just one of the many that gave this one five stars! Really glad you found this entertaining - the whirlwind of emotions part is what gets me interested, actually. :)

    Lovely review as usual!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This book definitely deserves all the 5-star ratings and raving reviews :)

      Delete
  6. I've been wanting to read this one for a while but now that you've given it FIVE STARS I feel that I have no choice haha. I love how Elisa sounds unlike any other protagonist, and probably much more relatable. Great secondary characters are also important, I love that in a book. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I HAD to give this book 5 stars. I loved everything about it, even when I really wanted to throw the book away in frustration when something terrible happened :p Elisa was very unique and I'm happy to see that some authors don't fall in the "perfect main character" trap. Not everybody has the body of a model and the face of an Angel - and that made Elisa even better in my eyes.

      Delete
  7. Ooh wow this sounds so intense and emotional! And dude I already own it! I just have to give it a try before it crumbles >.< But it definitely sounds like a book I would like. I like when the author isn't afraid to take her protagonist for a spin, and I keep hearing how great her world building is! Awesome review, chickie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will like this book, Giselle! :) So you better pick it up soon!

      Delete
  8. I LOVED this book! I'm still frustrated that I haven't gotten the sequel for it -- your review has really spurred me to go ahead and get it. :3

    I like how you pointed out that Carson doesn't spare the reader (or her main character) any comforts.

    You know, if you liked this book, you'll probably love "Grave Mercy" by Robin LaFevers. Have you read that one yet?

    Thanks for sharing! This was an awesome review!

    -Amelia
    The Authoress

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm actually plan to buy the sequel as a Christmas present for myself, haha. I haven't read Grave Mercy yet, but I really want to! It's on my Christmas list, so perhaps I get the chance to read it next year! If not, I might buy it for myself anyway, haha. I hear great things about it.

      Delete
  9. I've hold off far too long for this book. I seriously need to read it soon because I've heard so many interesting things about it.

    Anyway great review! SO eager to read this now thanks to you. haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, I did my job! I hope you can read this book soon.

      Delete
  10. I still haven't read this one, but all I hear are amazing things about it. I definitely need to get on it :)

    Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh yes! I know what you are talking about. Rae Carson KILLED me in this novel, she was merciless! I was gasping so much throughout the book. I can't wait to pick up Crown of Embers (shame we only have 24 hours a day!) and I can't wait to see how she takes things.

    great review!

    - Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She made me gasp a few times with all her twists! I hope we can pick up Crown of Embers soon :D

      Delete
  12. Sounds delish. I have heard nothing but good things about this one.
    Happy reading,
    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that this was so interesting, but also deeply emotional. That's a sure way to get me interested in a book - I actually like to cry my eyes out every once in a while.
    Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if you want to feel sad, you can pick this one up. It can be heartbreaking!

      Delete
  14. So many people love this book--I'm so glad you enjoyed it! I may have to give it another go at some point.

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
  15. This book seems wildly popular. Still haven't gotten around to it as it doesn't seem like my type of read, but it does look interesting. Glad you enjoyed it. Nice review :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I liked this book a lot too-I finally picked up the sequel and will be diving into that over this holiday. So excited!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, great! I hope you are going to love that one as well and I will keep an eye on your blog for the review.

      Delete
  17. I am not a fantasy fan but after enjoying Falling Kingdoms and also winning a copy of this book I'm going to give it and more fantasy books a try. I love kidnapping plots in all shapes and forms so I think I will enjoy Humberto and Elisa. I do like when an author goes all out and anything can happen to the main character. Although it is hard to watch bad things happen to them. The world building sounds interesting although I admit I am a little confused. Fantasies sometimes do that to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's possible that my story line in the summary isn't easy to follow, because I don't want to give away too much :) It's very easy to understand when you read this book, because the world-building isn't difficult at all.

      Delete
  18. I loved this book!!! I think Elisa's character development was my favorite part. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that part was amazing and nicely done :D

      Delete
  19. Oh wow- great review!
    I have had this book on my shelf to read for ages- I will DEFINITELY find time to read it in the new year! I love high fantasy.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy to hear that! I bet you are going to love it :)

      Delete
  20. I've been hearing such great things about this! I got it a couple months ago from the library and was so swamped with other books that I never got the chance to read it.
    World building is really important to me, and it sounds like a tear-jerker, which earns brownie points with me too!
    Because of your review I added it to my priority list for 2013 :)

    <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, that is good to hear, I did my job :p I can't wait to see what you think about it Jessi!

      Delete
  21. This sounds absolutely awesome, and I do love the sound of Elisa! <3 An unlikely heroine in fantasy, the eating-part, but she sounds like a fantastic character. Also happy to hear that the religious aspect of this book didn't bother you! I shall definitely add this 5-hearts read to my list! Thanks for sharing your fantastic review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0