Monday, December 24, 2012 12:23

Review 107. Peta Crake – Harbinger.

Harbinger
Title: Harbinger.
Author: Peta Crake.
Pages: 245.
Published: September 2012.
Publisher: Destiny Romance.
Sort: Stand-alone.
Source: Netgalley & Publisher.
As an Olympic messenger, suburban Aussie girl Ophelia Lind is used to being at the beck and call of the gods. But when gorgeous demigod Aden moves into her neighbourhood and starts taking advantage of her services, Ophelia believes life could not get any worse. She's about to be proven very wrong. Ophelia tries to enjoy a normal, everyday life while running messages for the Greek gods – but without warning an odious creature - evil incarnate - begins to stalk her. As a messenger dealing with the all-powerful and sometimes frightening gods, Ophelia is accustomed to adventures and scrapes. But this is different. Even Aden, who is madly and deeply in love with Ophelia, finds it difficult to protect her. Suddenly Ophelia is in a battle for survival and begins to question everything – her upbringing, her identity, and her true feelings for the alluring and entirely frustrating Aden.
Rating: 3 out of 5. 

While this is definitely not the best book I’ve ever read, the low rating on Goodreads surprised me! The first two reviews are 1-star ratings.


This book is a quick paced story that is set in Australia. Ophelia – also called Phi – is an Olympic messenger. Her mother passed away a few years ago and her father is supposed to be Hermes. She has quite a family. Not everybody has Hades and Zeus as uncles. Her life is turned upside down when she meets demigod Aden, son of Aphrodite and Adonis. She turns him down and as a revenge, he sends her all of the world to deliver nonsense messages. Some even get her almost killed, because we get to meet a huge variety of mythological creatures. 

There is also Simeon, a mysterious creature with a bad reputation in the world of Gods, but he is protecting Phi. He keeps warning her, but the search for her real father and her flirtations with Aden are keeping her far to busy. Unfortunately for her, someone is after her and an orb she never heard of. When she learns new information about her mother, her life is starting to get really complicated. To make things worse, she is kidnapped by her real grandfather and she gets another task in this world. This happens over a large timespan and she suffers a lot. Despite that, Phi kept fighting. She doesn’t take shit from anyone and I found her very strong. I only wished that she took some things more seriously. She felt a bit immature sometimes, but she is already in her mid twenties.

The other characters are fun. I really liked Hermes, but Aden wasn’t too bad either. We also have the arrogant and bitchy Gods, especially Aphrodite. I thought that Hades rocked.

I must admit that the storyline gets a bit overwhelming sometimes. There is a LOT going on. The search for her real father, the new identity of her mother, complots from several Gods, kidnapping and abuse, flirting with Aden and her inner struggle: do I surrender to my feelings or do I keep listening to my brains? This all made sure that the story is never boring, but it was also a bit chaotic. The plot is okay and the ending was happy and wrapped everything up like I expected.

Keep in mind that this story isn’t YA. The writing-style felt like it, but there are some situations with quite some violence and sexual related content (nothing to heavy, but still.) 
Pooh
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

21 comments:

  1. Well the cover sure looks good and the premise sounds great- especially the demigod aspect. It's good to know that you liked the other character's as well!

    Alex @ Possession of Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by :D And yes, the cover is nice.

      Delete
  2. The story line sounds good regardless.
    Happy reading and have a happy holidays and Merry Christmas!
    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really huge on Greek and Roman mythology! I'm actually taking a class on it this year and it's pretty interesting. Definitely need to check this one out since I haven't read a myth novel in quite awhile.
    Happy Holidays + Merry Christmas Mel! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't heard of this book before but I actually thought it was YA at first. I'll probably check this out now after reading your review ;)

    Awesome review, Mel and Merry Christmas ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was YA too, but I saw on Goodreads that it's actually an adult book with a YA writing-stylish feeling :p

      Delete
  5. This does sound interesting. I have always loved mythology! Thanks for sharing and Merry Christmas! :)

    ~Sara @ Forever 17 Books

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely review! I'm glad you didn't find it too bad, but it does sound like it has a lot going on. I would think some of this stuff would be spread over a couple books. that might help. Thanks for your thoughts, though! I'd never heard of this one.

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you are right! The world-building is good, but it might have been even better when it was spread out between two books :)

      Delete
  7. I have never heard of this book but it does sound interesting. I haven't read many stories about the olympic gods although they have been quite popular recently. I just might give this a try ^^ Lovely review!

    Emily @ Falling For YA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like mythology, but I haven't read any book about it besides this one.. Very bad. I'm planning to change that in 2013.

      Delete
  8. Wow. I've never heard of this book either. I love the cover to it.doesn't seem like my typical read though. Interesting review, and Merry Christmas! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's normally not something I would pick out either, but I saw in on Netgalley and I thought: why not?

      Delete
  9. For a while there I thought this was YA, but I think I'll still give it a shot just because I love mythology-themed books.

    Ahhh - I'm normally not fond of books with too many plotlines, but since you mention that everything's wrapped up in the end, I guess I'm willing to plow through them.

    Great review! :)

    Lyra @ Defiantly Deviant

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the ending wraps everything up - even when it was a bit too happily ever after :p

      Delete
  10. Ooh, I didn't know about this even though it's an Aussie book! It's a shame it wasn't that great but there's a part of me that still wants to read it ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you definitely need to give it a shot then! :)

      Delete
  11. I'm a sucker for the Greek Gods, haha! Not sure I can handle content that's even a bit outside of YA though ;_; Vivi shall wait until 18. I've read a couple of really awesome Hades characters, so glad that you liked him in this one! <3 Too bad it was chaotic though.. that sounds a bit messy even though it was all tied up in the end :/ Great review, anyhow! Thanks for sharing, Mel! (and I hope you had a wonderful and very Merry Christmas!!!)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0