Sunday, January 13, 2013 09:00

Fairytale news | Retellings 2013.


This is a 'new' feature I came up with. I will be talking about everything that has to do with reading. From pretty new covers to discussions about books. I will post them randomly.

Today, I want to spotlight all the fairytale retellings from 2013 – and this list makes me so happy. There are never enough retellings. Some of these books are even part of a series, so keep them coming authors.

Splintered
A.G Howard – Splintered. Stand alone, January 1st 2013 by Amulet Books.
When her mother’s mental health takes a turn for the worse, Alyssa learns that what she thought was fiction is based in terrifying reality. The real Wonderland is a place far darker and more twisted than Lewis Carroll ever let on.



Of Beast and BeautyStacey Jay – Of beast and beauty. Stand alone, July 23rd 2013 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers.
In the domed city of Yuan, the blind Princess Isra, a Smooth Skin, is raised to be a human sacrifice whose death will ensure her city’s vitality. In the desert outside Yuan, Gem, a mutant beast, fights to save his people, the Monstrous, from starvation. Neither dreams that together, they could return balance to both their worlds.

BeautyNancy Ohlin – Beauty.
Stand alone, May 7th 2013 by Simon Pulse.
Ana is nothing like her glamorous mother, Queen Veda, whose hair is black as ravens and whose lips are red as roses. Alas, Queen Veda loathes anyone whose beauty dares to rival her own—including her daughter. And despite Ana’s attempts to be plain to earn her mother’s affection, she’s sent away to the kingdom’s exclusive boarding school.

   
Alex Flinn – Towering. Towering
Stand alone, May 14th 2013 by HarperTeen.
Rachel is trapped in a tower, held hostage by a woman she’s always called Mama. Her golden hair is growing rapidly, and to pass the time, she watches the snow fall and sings songs from her childhood, hoping someone, anyone, will hear her.

Strands of Bronze and GoldJane Nickerson – Strands of bronze and gold.
Stand alone, March 12th 2013 by Random House Children's Books.
When seventeen-year-old Sophia Petheram’s beloved father dies, she receives an unexpected letter. An invitation—on fine ivory paper, in bold black handwriting—from the mysterious Monsieur Bernard de Cressac, her godfather. With no money and fewer options, Sophie accepts, leaving her humble childhood home for the astonishingly lavish Wyndriven Abbey, in the heart of Mississippi.

Scarlet (Lunar Chronicles, #2)Marissa Meyer – Scarlet. Part two of Lunar Chronicles, February 5th 2013 by Feiwel and Friends.
Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit’s grandmother is missing. It turns out there are many things Scarlet doesn’t know about her grandmother and the grave danger she has lived in her whole life. When Scarlet encounters Wolf, a street fighter who may have information as to her grandmother’s whereabouts, she has no choice but to trust him, though he clearly has a few dark secrets of his own.

The Fairest BeautyMelanie Dickerson – The fairest beauty.
Stand alone, January 8th 2013 by Zondervan.
A daring rescue. A difficult choice. Sophie desperately wants to get away from her stepmother's jealousy, and believes escape is her only chance to be happy. Then a young man named Gabe arrives from Hagenheim Castle, claiming she is betrothed to his older brother, and everything twists upside down. This could be Sophie's one chance at freedom---but can she trust another person to keep her safe?

Nameless (Tales of Beauty & Madness, #1)Lilith Saintcrow – Nameless.
Part one of Tales of beauty & madness, April 4th 2013 by Razorbill.
When Camille was six years old, she was discovered alone in the snow by Enrico Vultusino, godfather of the Seven—the powerful Families that rule magic-ridden New Haven. Papa Vultusino adopted the mute, scarred child, naming her after his dead wife and raising her in luxury on Haven Hill alongside his own son, Nico.

My Name is RapunzelK.C Hilton – My name is Rapunzel.
Stand alone, x.

Fairy tales are for children. My name is Rapunzel and I will tell you my story. I will tell you the truth.




Liesl Shurtliff – Rump: the true story of Rumpelstiltskin. Rump: The True Story of Rumpelstiltskin
Stand alone, April 9th 2013 by Alfred A. Knopf Books for Young Readers.
There's only one way to break the spell: Rump must go on a quest to find his true name, along the way defending himself against pixies, trolls, poison apples, and one beautiful but vile-mannered queen. The odds are against him, but with courage and friendship—and a cheeky sense of humor—Rump just might triumph in the end.

Story's End (Storybound, #2)Marissa Burt – Story’s end.
Part two of Storybound, April 2nd 2013 by HarperCollins Children's.
A deadly Enemy has threatened the future of Story--and twelve-year-old Una Fairchild is the only one who can stop his plans and save the character world from destruction.


   
Bridget Zinn – Poison. Poison Stand alone, March 12th 2013 by Disney Hyperion.
Sixteen-year-old Kyra, a highly-skilled potions master, is the only one who knows her kingdom is on the verge of destruction—which means she’s the only one who can save it. Faced with no other choice, Kyra decides to do what she does best: poison the kingdom’s future ruler, who also happens to be her former best friend.
But, for the first time ever, her poisoned dart.. misses.


A.C Gaughen – Untitled, Scarlet 2. Part two of Scarlet, x.

Jackson Pearce – Cold spell.
Part four of fairytale retellings, 2013 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers.
Retelling of Hans Christian Anderson's The Snow Queenabout a girl on a journey to save her childhood friend after he’s captured and held hostage in the unforgiving north.      

   
The Fairest of Them All: A NovelCarolyn Turgeon – The fairest of them all. Stand alone, August 6th 2013 by Touchstone.
What if Rapunzel was Snow White’s evil stepmother? Living in an enchanted forest, Rapunzel spends her days tending a mystical garden with her adoptive mother, Mathena. A witch, Mathena was banished from court because of her magic powers, though the women from the kingdom still seek her advice and herbal remedies. She waits, biding her time to exact revenge against those who betrayed her.
    

 

Gena Showalter – Through the zombie glass.
Part two of White rabbit chronicles, September 2013 by Harlequin Teen.

Cover reveal & blurb! Hero by Alethea KontisAlethea Kontis – Hero.
Part two of Woodcutter series, October 1st 2013 by Harcourt Books.
Rough and tumble Saturday Woodcutter thinks she’s the only one of her sisters without any magic—until the day she accidentally conjures an ocean in the backyard. With her sword in tow, Saturday sets sail on a pirate ship, only to find herself kidnapped and whisked off to the top of the world. Is Saturday powerful enough to kill the mountain witch who holds her captive and save the world from sure destruction? And, as she wonders grumpily, “Did romance have to be part of the adventure?” As in Enchanted readers will revel in the fragments of fairy tales that embellish this action-packed story of adventure and, yes, romance.

And is it me, or are all the covers of retellings always so pretty? I find them very appealing. Which book are you looking forward to? Did I miss a title?
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

46 comments:

  1. I love retellings <3 I am most excited for Scarlet! And also Splintered (though I've heard mixed things). But most of these are new to me and thanks so much for writing about them. I will DEFINITELY check them out! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always happy to give other people recommendations :D

      Delete
  2. Wow, there are a lot of them coming out in this year. Happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fairy tale retellings can be hit or miss for me, but they're always fun! Thanks for posting these, as I'm not familiar with some of these titles. Especially looking forward to Scarlet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love retellings! Sadly, I haven't read many. I did read Splintered and fell in love with it!! Simply amazing. I have Cinder sitting patiently on my shelf, hopefully I can get to it soon. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cinder is really good! I hope you can read it soon.

      Delete
  5. Mel, this is, like, the best post I've seen this year!!! <3 -throws happy confetti- Thank you so much for sharing all of these lovelies with us because yes, one can never have enough of fairytale retellings. I do agree, that my eyes find each and every one of these covers incredibly appealing ^_^ Similar taste <3 Really looking forward to Scarlet, since I loved Cinder, and I can't believe I haven't seen half of these! My tbr list has some growing to do... Awesome post!

    Vivian @ Vivaciously, Vivian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thank you Viv! It was so much fun to write it. Fairytales and retellings always make me happy. We do have a similar taste, I love that! :)

      Delete
  6. Ooh-The Fairest of Them All is a new one for me. Just added it to my to-read list and will be eagerly awaiting reviews!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks great, doesn't it :D I also read another book from her (Mermaid) and I really liked that one.

      Delete
  7. Can't wait! I'm probably most looking forward to Of Beast and Beauty (so far). STILL have to read Cinder and then Scarlet will also be on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, you know I love fairytale retellings, so this makes me very happy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. AHHHH!!! I hadn't heard of a bunch of these yet! This is a GREAT list Mel, thanks! I'm especially excited for Of Beast and Beauty! It sounds SO good. Also, ANOTHER BOOK IN THE WOODCUTTER SERIES?! I am beyond excited for this! And Saturday was one of my favorite sisters!! YAY! *runs off to add all the pretty books to Goodreads*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I'm happy that I gave you some new tips! I know that you love the fairytales as much as I do :D And yes. The best news? The woodcutter is going to be a trilogy!

      Delete
  10. I haven't read Storybound, but I want too, so maybe I should work on that before the sequel comes out. Sigh. I feel like it won't happen, though. haha I'm so bad with keeping up with all these books! I want to read Splintered too. Looks pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm also bad in keeping up! I also need to read Storybound first.

      Delete
  11. Thanks Mel! I added a couple of these on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I stumbled across your blog through another book blogs comment and I am sure glad I did! It's always nice to meet fellow bibliophiles!

    I just subscribed to your blog and cant wait to see more updates and reviews to add to my ever growing need to read list.

    -Stacy at Longtime Lover Of Literature

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm happy to add you to my followers :D

      Delete
  13. My feelings on retellings used to be "I could love 'em or leave 'em" but I'm finding more and more that I actually like a lot of the newer ones. I can't wait to get to Splintered and Scarlet! Strands of Bronze and Gold and Poison also look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love that Strands of bronze and gold uses such a different story! I've never seen a retelling of Bluebeard before (expect for a little part in Kill me softly)

      Delete
  14. Ohhh wow, so many of those bookss appeal to me. They sound awesome! I haven't heard of most of them until now, so thanks for highlighting them :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Omg! So many amazing retellings coming out! Wow! Thanks for compiling this list :P
    ---
    Giselle @ Book Nerd

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a problem! It's also nice to have this list for myself :p so I can see the amount of books I have to buy this year, haha.

      Delete
  16. Fun feature! I read Splintered (it was okay) and Scarlet (AWESOME!) but a bunch of these are new to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to read Splintered, because I love the cover. And Scarlet <3

      Delete
  17. Wow! I didn't know there are so many retelling books coming out this year...
    Some of the covers here are gorgeous and especially the last one. I love the dress ~_~
    I think that I will read Splintered. The synopsis sounds interesting.

    Sapir@Diary of a Wimpy Teen Girl

    ReplyDelete
  18. All the fairytale retellings sounds so amazing! I don't think it can get much better ;) I'm especially excited for Splintered, Towering, and Beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ohh, what a lovely round-up! I am always drawn to fairy tale retellings, although I have a hit-or-miss relationship with them. I'm definitely keeping an eye out for some of these though, thanks for the handy little checklist. ;)

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
  20. Splintered and My Name is Rapunzel!!! :D Cute post

    -Dannielle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to see the final blurb of My name is Rapunzel!

      Delete
  21. WOW, I LOVE this post!! I am adding some of the ones you mention to my TBR list!

    My Name is Rapunzel is at the top of my list along with Scarlet! I LOVED Cinder

    Ashley @The Quiet Concert

    ReplyDelete
  22. Only heard of three of these (A) Have read Splintered. <3 Amazing book. And omg! Scarlet! Perfect book. <3 So so good. DYING to read Story's End :D Loved the first book. <3 Thank you for sharing sweetie :D Also, yes, all the covers are gooorgeous. <3 Sigh.
    Thank you for commenting on my mailbox. <3
    Love, Carina @ Carina's Books

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you for including BEAUTY on this amazing list! I want to read all the other books, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome! I'm really looking forward to your book :)

      Delete
  24. wow, I had no idea that there were so many retellings out. Thanks for compiling such a great list! I'll have to look some of these up!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0