Review 110 D.L Bogdan – The forgotten queen.

The Forgotten QueenTitle: The forgotten queen.
Author: D.L Bogdan.
Pages: 384. 
Expected publication: January 29th 2013.
Publisher: Kensington.
Sort: Stand-alone.
Source: Netgalley & Publisher.
From her earliest days, Margaret Tudor knows she will not have the luxury of choosing a husband. Her duty is to gain alliances for England. Barely out of girlhood, Margaret is married by proxy to James IV and travels to Edinburgh to become Queen of Scotland.
Despite her doubts, Margaret falls under the spell of her adopted home. But while Jamie is an affectionate husband, he is not a faithful one. And nothing can guarantee Margaret’s safety when Jamie leads an army against her own brother, Henry VIII. In the wake of loss she falls prey to an ambitious earl and brings Scotland to the brink of anarchy. Beset by betrayal and secret alliances, Margaret has one aim—to preserve the crown of Scotland for her son, no matter what the cost.
Rating

This story shows us the life of Margaret Tudor, daughter of King Henry VII and Queen Elizabeth of York. She is the sister of Prince Arthur of Wales, Henry VIII and Mary. The story starts when she is a little girl of 10 years. She is an intelligent, perky girl and she knows that she is destined to become queen. Her father chooses King James IV (also Jamie) from Scotland. They show a lot of affection for each other and he is a kind husband.

When Margaret’s father dies, Henry VIII becomes King and he marries Catherine of Aragon, wife from the last king, Arthur. We all know how his story continues, but he plays a big role in Margaret’s life. Their countries are becoming enemies and Jamie dies in a battle in England. She is broken after his death, but her love for their son James V (heir) and Alexander keeps her alive. She is 23 now. Her life only becomes more complicated. She remarries two times. Both marriages start happy, but they don’t end that well. Her first husband is even a treat to her son James V. It is a hard battle to get him on his rightful throne, but she succeeds and when he marries to a good French woman, she can finally rest from the hard life at Court.

I loved Margaret’s voice in the beginning. She is a funny girl and she knows exactly what she wants. Woman were used as strategic pieces, but she is ready for it and her first marriage isn’t that bad. Jamie was a good person despite his strange flaws. After her marriage to Angus, the story starts to drag a little bit and it’s sometimes hard to follow how much times passes. We used to get an indication about her age, but that is lost in the battle for her children. There is also a change in her voice. She is egoistic and a bit childish. I can understand that her son James V loses his temper around her. Despite that, I really liked this book. It was interesting to read more about her. I knew that they changed the storyline in the television show The Tudors, so it was nice to see a more realistic approach. Fascinating story of a woman with a lot of tragic losses and wrong choices in life.

Excerpt.
“Things would be different had Eva not led Adam into sin,” he explained, bowing his head to conceal his flushing face.
”So Adam did not have a mind of his own?” I cried. “If he was witless enough of yield to Eve’s temptation then it is his stupidity that warrants the curse!”
”Madam, you tread on blasphemy!”
”Oh, you don’t want to hear it,” I lamented. “You are on his side.”

-Quote from e-ARC. Conversation between the Archbishop and 10-year-old Margaret about her periods.
Pooh

13 comments

  1. I have never read a purely historical fiction before. This sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book sounds interesting!! I will be sure to check it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you liked it. I think the cover is pretty and would love to read cause it sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds so interesting and it's about someone I really don't know that much about. I'll have to add it to my list....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, a Tudor that I actually am not familiar with at all O_O -shame, Vivian, shame...- So glad to hear that you enjoyed this one, Mel! I'm definitely going to keep a tab on it because her story sounds like a really great one! Lovely review! <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh this story does sound really fascinating, I don't think it would be a book that I would immediately pick up, but I'm glad you enjoyed it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have this one for review, too, but haven't read it yet. I'm looking forward to it. Have you read any of Bogdan's other novels? If not, I recommend Rivals in the Tudor Court.

    New follower :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh, I haven't heard of this one. It sounds so good, Mel! Thanks for brining it to my attention :) I love the quote that you provided... Yay for spunky feminist 10 year olds!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love historical fiction and this sounds great :) Margaret also sounds like a good character, so I'm definitely interested in seeing what she's like. Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Woah, this seems so interesting and different from the books I usually read! Even though it's quite out of my box, the premise is intriguing and your lovely review has made me curious. Great review, Mel! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Tudor era is one of my favourite times in history to read/learn/gush about, and although I'm not as familiar with Margaret Tudor as some of the other Tudor members, she sounds like an interesting heroine (despite some of her character inconsistencies). I'm intrigued, to say in the least. :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  12. OOh havent hear dof this one before. Sure is interesting. Great review Mel. x

    ?FICBOOKREVIEWS?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible.