Review 114. Suzanne Weyn – Water song.

Water Song: A Retelling of The Frog Prince (Once Upon a Time)Title: Water song.
Author: Suzanne Weyn.
Pages: 194.
Published: October 24th 2006 by Simon Pulse.
Sort: Stand alone in the ‘Once upon a time’ series.
Young, beautiful, and wealthy, Emma Pennington is accustomed to a very comfortable life. Although war rages abroad, she hardly feels its effect. She and her mother travel from their home in Britain to the family estate in Belgium, never imagining that the war could reach them there. But it does. Soon Emma finds herself stranded in a war-torn country, utterly alone. Enemy troops fight to take over her estate, leaving her with no way to reach her family, and no way out. With all of her attention focused on survival and escape, Emma hardly expects to find love. But the war will teach her that life is unpredictable, people aren't always what they seem, and magic is lurking everywhere.
Rating
2 starsNot all the retellings in this series are a success – this is a good example. I liked the promise of this book. It started out as a lovely story. Emma Pennington is stuck in the family estate in Belgium. She never expected the war to come so close, until the German troops arrive. Emma just saved the life of a man. Jack is part of the Allied troops, but Emma lies to the group of German soldiers and tells him that he is her husband. Jack ended up in the well in front of her house after an gas attack. He is badly injured and now they are locked away in a room in the house. They spend a lot of time together and Jack starts to fall in love with Emma, but all she wants is return to her father in Britain.

I liked how there wasn’t an instant-love from both sides. It did annoy me that Emma only realized she loved him, because everybody had to tell her that. And one moment in the book, she’s suddenly like: “Oh yes, they were right. I do love him!” .. I thought you were so intelligent, Emma.

When three Allied soldiers arrive to check out the area, they are taken hostage. One of the soldiers is the young boy Kit, someone Jack knows; he will do everything to safe this boy. Jack has a special ability and it gave him the nickname ‘frog’ Can he safe Kit? And can Jack and Emma escape before it is too late?

The fact that this story is set in our world was great. I loved the war element and the way Weyn used the frog aspect. Emma and Jack started out as good characters. Their interactions where fun, but Jack’s constant begging for a kiss started to annoy me. The middle part dragged a little and that surprise me. I expected more story, because this book only has 194 pages. I couldn’t buy the paranormal aspect around Jack. It felt out of place.

The conclusion is: if you want to read a book from this series, don’t start with this one.
Eye-ore

18 comments

  1. I haven't read anything from this series (I don't think so anyway!), but if I ever do attempt it, I'll take your advice and start with something different. :) I'm not sure if Emma is someone I would instantly take a liking to... Great review!

    Love the new look around here, by the way! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm very happy with the new design :)

      Delete
  2. I have not heard about this book or this series before. I really enjoy retelling of fairytale, so I might pick up a some of this books from this series but may, like you said. start with a different book!
    Sorry you did not enjoy this one as much as you liked to Mel!

    Gabby~

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sad, as re-tellings can be such fun. When the elements don't come together and the characters annoy you, it is hard to submerse yourself in the story. Thanks for your honest review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm... 194 pages and it dragged a bit? Oh dear. I think I'll maybe stay away from this one. I don't really know how I feel about the setting either. I'll stick with Cameron Dokey retellings in this series. Thanks for the review Mel! I really wish there were more Frog Prince retellings. There aren't actually that many that I've seen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know.. Dokey does write the best retellings in this series. The only Frog Prince I can come up with is Enchanted. I would love to see more of them too.

      Delete
  5. It looks like this novel is a bit of a disappointment. I agree with what Kristen (who commented right before me) said - the fact that the story dragged despite being quite short is a bad sign. I think I'll skip this one, but I'll make sure to check out the other books in the series!

    Great review, Mel! :)

    Lyra @ Defiantly Deviant

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I didn't expect it from such a short book. You should definitely take a look at other retelings in this series! Some of them are good.

      Delete
  6. I've never read a book from this series before, but if I ever decide to give this series ago, I'll remember you review and I will start with a different book! Jack sounds like he'd really grate on my nerves, and the fact that this dragged with just 194 pages would annoy me alot!

    I'm sorry that this was a bit of a disappointment for you, Mel. Still, thank you for this wonderful, honest review.

    By the way, I'm loving your blog design! Especially that gorgeous, subtle background. And your header is lovely! :D x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, I nominated you for the ONe Lovely Blog award.
    to see my post go here http://kimberlysnovelnotes.blogspot.com/2013/01/one-lovely-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hm. Not really my type of read. I've never heard this series before. Sounds like I wasn't missing out. Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy the novel as much :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. This doesn't sound very promising--are the other books better? Thanks for the honest review.

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you should take a look at some of the retellings from Cameron Dokey! :) Suzanne Weyn's other book (Crimson read) was good, so that's why I was extra disappointed in this retelling. Tracy Lynn has a nice story too (Snow) and Debbie Viguiés Violet eyes was sweet.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible.