Wednesday, January 16, 2013 19:53

Review 115. Brodi Ashton–Everneath.

Everneath (Everneath, #1)Title: Everneath.
Author: Brodi Ashton.
Pages: 370.
Published: January 24th 2012.
Publisher: HarperCollins / Balzer + Bray.
Sort: Part one of ‘Everneath’
Source: I received a copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
Last spring, Nikki Beckett vanished, sucked into an underworld known as the Everneath. Now she's returned--to her old life, her family, her boyfriend--before she's banished back to the underworld . . . this time forever. She has six months before the Everneath comes to claim her, six months for good-byes she can't find the words for, six months to find redemption, if it exists. Nikki longs to spend these precious months forgetting the Everneath and trying to reconnect with her boyfriend, Jack, the person most devastated by her disappearance--and the one person she loves more than anything. But there's just one problem: Cole, the smoldering immortal who enticed her to the Everneath in the first place, has followed Nikki home. Cole wants to take over the throne in the underworld and is convinced Nikki is the key to making it happen. And he'll do whatever it takes to bring her back, this time as his queen. As Nikki's time on the Surface draws to a close and her relationships begin slipping from her grasp, she is forced to make the hardest decision of her life: find a way to cheat fate and remain on the Surface with Jack or return to the Everneath and become Cole's queen.
Rating:


Nikki was sucked into the underworld, also called the Everneath. This is a layer between heaven and hell where certain people found a way to be immortal: The Everlivings. Every hundred years they must bring someone with them, so they can suck out their emotions and energy in order to survive. These victims are called Forfeits. Most of them die after the Feed, but the living are taken away in the Tunnels where they feed the whole Everneath with their energy. Nikki lives and she chooses to Return. She has six months before the Shadow in her opens the Tunnel to take her back. Her Everliving Cole follows her and tries to persuade her to return with him. He can make her his Queen and that will spare her of the horrible fate in the Tunnels.

But Nikki isn’t planning to return with Cole. She is trying to get her life back, but most of all, she wants to see her boyfriend Jack. When they slowly get their friendship back, Nikki decides to tell him everything. Jack believes her and together, they are trying to find a way to defeat the Everneath.

First of all, there is some sort of love-triangle in this book, but it worked for me. Cole really wants Nikki to be his Queen and he keeps stalking her. Nikki sometimes returns to him, because he completes her. He took her emotions away and this gives a freaky and unwelcome bond between them. I liked how Nikki always tried to keep Cole away from her and the people she love. She isn’t weak or whiny, but strong. Than there is adorable Jack, the boyfriend she still loves. All these three characters had their own distinct voice. I could connect with them and despite the fact that Cole is a bad boy, I just couldn’t hate him.

The world-building was good. The information we get is spread throughout the book and that made it easy to understand the situation. In flashbacks we see how Jack and Nikki’s relationship started and how sweet they were together. It was also nice to see how Nikki is trying to pick up her life. It’s pretty messed up, but her father is trying to make the best out of this situation and her little brother is cute.

The mythology was nicely incorporated into the storyline and the writing-style was great. I flew through the pages and the plot kept me hooked to the pages. You can predict the ending, but it didn’t spoil the fun for me. It only makes me excited to read the next book. I can’t wait!
“Remembering is easy. It's forgetting that's hard.”
Eye-ore
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

50 comments:

  1. I have this one in my TBR for this month, and I'm so glad that the mythology worked for you. I'm looking forward to this one. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both the synopsis and your review make me SO curious for this book! I love a good mythology story, and this one sounds very intriguing. I'll definitely pick it up as soon as I have the chance! Lovely review, Mel :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It should be fun to compare our opinions Judith! :D

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed this at the time too, and completely agree about the love triangle. Normally these things do not work for me at all! I am reading book two at the moment, and still think it's very well done. Great review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is great Sam! I can't wait to read Everbound :) I'm going to keep an eye on your blog for the review.

      Delete
  4. The love triangle in this really worked for me here, mostly because Nikki really didn't want both guys. She seemed pretty set on pushing Cole away as she should because Jack is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eeeeeeeee! I'm so glad you enjoyed this<3 I'm usually not a fan of love triangles, but this definitely worked out well for me too :) Awesome review, Mel! Can't wait for you to read Everbound :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you loved this! I have it sitting on my shelf gathering dust, your review has convinced me to go pick it up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. EEEE!! A love triangle that works? Now I MUST have this!! My friends read Everneath (and cried afterwards... Is it tragedy? D:) and they've been urging me on to read this one. Great review and uhh... I'm most probably Team Cole ;)

    -Alicia
    Book a World

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It sounds impossible, but this one is good. The ending is a bit sad yes!

      Delete
  8. YAY! Glad that you like this book too :D Cool review

    -Dannielle

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great review! Thanks for sharing, like Carly just said - my copy was gathering dust and your review reminded me of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome! I hope you will pick it up soon :)

      Delete
  10. I'm so glad you enjoyed this one! I didn't love it but I just finished the sequel and thought it was amazing! I love both Cole and Jack, a very well done love triangle. :)

    ~Sara @ Forever 17 Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy to hear that. I'm looking forward to Everbound!

      Delete
  11. I've been meaning to read this book for what feels like forever. I've been hesitant because I really don't care for love triangles. But I should just suck it up and read it.

    Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also don't like love-triangles, but this one really works! I think even you are going to like it!

      Delete
  12. AHHHH --- this is next on my pile to read and I am so excited!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, nice! I'm looking forward to see what you think Jen :D

      Delete
  13. I need to start this series, it sounds great.
    Happy reading,
    Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been meaning to pick this up since it came out last year, but sadly haven't even gotten to it yet. I really need to make it a priority because it sounds like something I will really enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you can make the time to pick this one up then! :)

      Delete
  15. Isn't this book just phenomenal? I just finished the sequel this week and am still in awe. Even after the bad things Cole has done, you just can't hate him. There's something there deep inside him that redeems him in readers eyes. I must say, I prefer him over Jack even though Jack is pretty swoonworthy himself. ;) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds great Bailey! I'm going to look for Everbound soon, because I want to see how this is going to continue. I think that I like Cole, because he has some good qualities. He is not just a bad boy; he is much more complexer than that :)

      Delete
  16. I'm so excited to read this book. I'd love to. And your review was amazing, Mel! I also loved the quote at the end! <3

    ReplyDelete
  17. I enjoyed the flashbacks, too. The second book works much the same way. Since you loved Everneath so much, I can't wait to see what you think of Everneath. I actually think I liked it better than the first book. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I'm happy that there are flashbacks in Everbound. They completed the story :) I hope I can read it soon.

      Delete
  18. I can't believe this has already been out for a whole year! I bought it forever ago and your review reminded me that I STILL need to read it. In fact, it sounds like it would be a good fit for my Feminist Reads Challenge!!

    Btw, I see your looking forward to THE MADMAN'S DAUGHTER on your Top Ten Tuesday post, I'm giving away a copy on my blog right now! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you can read it for your challenge! :D And I'm heading over to your blog right away!

      Delete
  19. Oh! I didn't realize this was a Hades & Persephone retelling. I LOVE retellings of that myth. So dark and tragic. ;) Thanks for reviewing this Mel! Definitely adding it to my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will like this book then, Kristen! It's definitely a bit tragic!

      Delete
  20. Fab review, chickie! I really enjoyed this one too. I also found the love tr8nagle to be one I enjoyed for once so that's saying something. I found the whole book very unique actually. And the sequel comes out this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also found it unique. Different from most mythology retellings I've read so far.

      Delete
  21. I have had this book for so long, I can't even remember how many months, and I still haven't read it yet. I've heard nothing but good things though - so glad you liked it! I seriously have to get round to reading it one day - I think 5 stars and awesome world-building justifies me bumping it up my TBR pile. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you will pick it up soon Liz! Let me know what you think about it if you've read it :D

      Delete
  22. YES. I loved this one! Mainly because I ugly cried when the Everneath came back for her (you know what I'm talking about), and books that can actually make me cry (not an easy task!) get brownie points. I couldn't stand Cole >.<
    I'm dying to get my hands on Everbound!

    By the way, I LOVE your new design! It's very clean and organized looking :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I know what you are talking about! I'm so looking forward to Everbound :D

      And thank you! I'm still very happy with it.

      Delete
  23. Ah, great review sweetie :D Have had this book for almost a year. Haven't read it because of triangle :p but it might not be so bad.. but not approving of Cole. Will read this book when book two arrives, and I have peeked at it :D Hih ;) Glad you enjoyed it so much, though, sweetie. <3
    Thank you for commenting on my mailbox. <3
    Love, Carina @ Carina's Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe me, you are going to like the triangle. Most of the times I can't stand them, but this really works :) I hope you can pick it up soon! I also can't wait for book two.

      Delete
  24. Interesting!! I cant wait to get sucked into this book as well, and I already seem to be a fan of Jack! He seems like an amazing boyfriend!! Great review!
    - Farah @ MajiBookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  25. I completely loved Everneath, too. I'm definitely more Team Cole, and Everbound is even more amazing than Everneath. I can't wait to see what you think of that one :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  26. AHHHH - you have no idea how glad I am to see that you enjoyed this! I actually just finished EVERNEATH about a week ago, and I'm still trying to get over the awesomeness of it. *O* I ♥ Jack so much. The story was amazing. I don't think the relationship between Nikki, Cole, and Jack can be considered a love triangle, to be honest. I never felt like Nikki had feelings for Cole (at least, I hope not), so the 'love' was pretty much one-sided.

    Can't wait for EVERBOUND. Fantastic review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am glad you enjoyed the book, I have it sitting on my Kindle at the moment and just need to get started! Great review, definately gives me more motivation hearing good things from it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0