Review 128. Gail Carriger – Soulless.

Soulless (Parasol Protectorate, #1)Title: Soulless.
Author: Gail Carriger.
Pages: 373.
Published: October 1st 2009.
Publisher: Orbit.
Sort: Part one of ‘Parasoul Protectorate’
First, she has no soul. Second, she's a spinster whose father is both Italian and dead. Third, she was rudely attacked by a vampire, breaking all standards of social etiquette. Where to go from there? From bad to worse apparently, for Alexia accidentally kills the vampire - and then the appalling Lord Maccon (loud, messy, gorgeous, and werewolf) is sent by Queen Victoria to investigate. With unexpected vampires appearing and expected vampires disappearing, everyone seems to believe Alexia responsible. Can she figure out what is actually happening to London's high society? Will her soulless ability to negate supernatural powers prove useful or just plain embarrassing? Finally, who is the real enemy, and do they have treacle tart?
Rating:
5 stars
This book is hilarious! All the characters are so fleshed out and the mystery was great.

“Please, Lord Maccon, use one of the cups. My delicate sensibilities.”
The earl actually snorted.
“My dear Miss Tarabotti, if you possessed any such things, you certainly have never shown them to me.”


Meet Alexia. Stubborn, soulless, tempered and not afraid to say what she think. She lacks of the proper social etiquette and she doesn’t fit in with her tanned skin, large nose and curves – all features she thanks to her deceased Italian father. Her mother remarried and produced two empty headed girls. They are everything society can ask for: busy with clothing and gossiping about fashion. Alexia likes to read and she loves to have conversations about science and politics. Her mother can’t handle this behaviour and that is why Alexia became a spinster.

Meet Lord Maccon. Scottish, bad tempered, attractive and an Alpha werewolf. He has a lot of hilarious discussions with Alexia and it’s very clear that they like each other, but they don’t know it yet. He works for BUR, a bureau that keeps track of all the registered supernaturals since the Age of Enlightenment. His beta professor Lyall is a gentleman and he always tries to calm him. They are both trying to investigate an important matter:

Alexia was attacked by a vampire at a party. He wasn't part of a hive (community of vampires with a queen) and he also wasn't a registered rove (a vampire who decides to seperate like the eccentric Lord Akeldama. He is hilarious.) Where did this vampire came from? And why are vampires and werewolves disappearing around town? Lord Maccon is trying to keep Alexia out of his investigation, but with no success. And when they finally find out what is going on, it might be too late.

All right, let me begin by saying: I loved this book. Everything works. From the main characters to the secondary characters, they are all fleshed out. Alexia is lovely and I like how smart and different she was. Her sexy scenes with Lord Maccon were great and I liked their interaction. Their constant bicker was funny; the overall writing-style is this book was fun. There is always some humour.

There is a subtle change in perspective and that works good. The telling voice sometimes switches to Lord Maccon’s POV, so we get to see what he thinks of the situation. He is sweet and attractive in a non-perfect way. I wouldn’t mind being in one room with him.

Another great aspect was the mystery. There is something scary going on and I liked how we slowly got to unravel it. The wax-faced man definitely gave me the creeps.

Bambi

45 comments

  1. Oooooh, you make this one sound so good! I've heard mixed things about it but EEP. I love humorous books. Oh and mystery! I'm going to have to bump this up higher on my wishlist!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one sounds really good! If there's humour then it's normally a guarantee that I'll love it :D
    The quote is very intriguing indeed. Great review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooohh this sounds SO FUN!!! Gail sounds like an amazing author and I can't wait to read this<3 Fab review, Mel! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found this book to be so much fun! Alexia is just such a snappy heroine and Maccon is super swoony.

    ReplyDelete
  5. SO glad you loved this one too Mel! It was such a fun book wasn't it? I love Gail's sense of humor and writing style:) And I definitely wouldn't mind being in a room with Lord Maccon either. Hello sexy werewolf:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, her writing-style was great. I flew through the pages. And hello Maccon, I can't wait to see more of you ^^

      Delete
  6. I think I need this book! It sounds so totally brilliant!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hehe LOVE this quote, Mel! You've just reminded me that I have a copy of Etiquette & Espionage to get to... If it's anything like this one, it sounds like it'll be fantastic! So glad you loved this, Mel! <3 Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to read Etiquette & Espionage! Some people said it has some Harry Potter vibe, so I am looking forward to it :D And I'm going to continue this series soon.

      Delete
  8. I've been meaning to read this series for so long! I hear it's really fun and entertaining. Plus those covers are so cool! I kind of love how different they are. The mystery sounds exactly how I love them, too! Awesome review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This book is definitely something for you, Giselle! :)

      Delete
  9. I admire characters who aren't afraid to say what they think! Great quote and glad you liked it and everything worked in this book.
    Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm very curious about Soulless! I've been wanting to read this book for quite a while now, since I want to read more steampunk books. Love the paranormal aspect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also haven't read many Steampunk books, but this was a great addition :D

      Delete
  11. Im a huge fan of mystery books, so this is definitely a book I will check out!! The characters seem awesome as well! Great review Mel!
    - Farah @ MajiBookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great review! I haven't heard of this one but it sounds great. The whole mystery sounds interesting and I also love a book where the characters have a funny banter.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, Mel. Amazing review! SOULLESS sounds both hilarious and interesting at the same time. I don't know why it took me so long to finally notice this book (I haven't seen it in my local bookstores either), but your review is positively convincing! The romance definitely sounds swoon-worthy, too. :)

    So glad you enjoyed this! I hope I'll get the chance to check it out soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen this book a couple of times, but I never picked it up. When I found a cheap copy I decided to buy it and I'm so happy I did!

      Delete
  14. I am so glad you enjoyed this book. I'm also a huge fan of the Parasol Protectorate series. I love Alexia's droll humor and her banter with Lord Maccon, it was undeniably delightful. He and Alexia make an adorable pair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They fit perfect together. Alpha werewolf and an Alpha Soulless :p haha.

      Delete
  15. This seems like a really fun book and I love the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It sounds like there is a nice touch of humour to this book. I love a good bit of playful bickering between characters. :) I haven't read anything by this author yet, though I hope to give her latest novel a try soon. Perhaps then I'll return to this series. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to read her new series. I can't wait to hear what you think Sam!

      Delete
  17. Oh jeez I'm so jealous. I need to just make some free time and read this series. I hear nothing but good things.
    Pabkins @ My Shelf Confessions

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you can find the time to read it. I promise you, it reads incredibly fast :D

      Delete
  18. I've been looking for reviews on this one because I've been wanting to read it so bad! Strong secondary characters really add a lot of depth, it's one of my favorite things to hear! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I always like it when secondary characters have a purpose in the story instead of filling in some empty space. And these are so much fun :D Lord Akeldama *giggle*

      Delete
  19. Hah love the quote! I love books with witty banter so this sounds right up my ally! I think I read a bad review or two somewhere about this book which made me lower it as a priority on my TBR list but your review convinced me that I'll probably enjoy it! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are always people who don't like a book, but I loved it :D

      Delete
  20. Aww yeah!! I am so excited to start this series after reading and loving Etiquette & Espionage! This one does seem pretty similar to E&E in that they both have excellent humour and mysteries. I am so thrilled to hear that you loved this so much, Mel!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is why I'm looking forward to read Etiquette & Espionage! And I'm happy that this book already has some sequels.

      Delete
  21. I just finished Etiquette and Espionage by her, so this sounds especially amazing :) Also, I love the quote, and both characters seem great. I'll definitely have to check this one out. Fantastic review!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible.