Monday, February 11, 2013 10:30

Review 125. Kathleen Peacock – Hemlock.

Hemlock (Hemlock, #1)Title: Hemlock.
Author: Kathleen Peacock.
Pages: 416.
Published: May 8th 2012.
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Sort: Part one of ‘Hemlock’
Source: I received a copy from the publisher for this honest review.
Mackenzie and Amy were best friends. Until Amy was brutally murdered. Since then, Mac's life has been turned upside down. She is being haunted by Amy in her dreams, and an extremist group called the Trackers has come to Mac's hometown of Hemlock to hunt down Amy's killer: A white werewolf. Lupine syndrome--also known as the werewolf virus--is on the rise across the country. Many of the infected try to hide their symptoms, but bloodlust is not easy to control. Wanting desperately to put an end to her nightmares, Mac decides to investigate Amy's murder herself. She discovers secrets lurking in the shadows of Hemlock, secrets about Amy's boyfriend, Jason, her good pal Kyle, and especially her late best friend. Mac is thrown into a maelstrom of violence and betrayal that puts her life at risk.
Rating:

The take on werewolves added something new to the genre.The characters were alright and the mystery around Amy’s dead was enjoyable. I wasn't completely blown away by the story, though.

This book is filled with a lot of surprising twists, something I really liked. The story is pretty simple. Mackenzie, Amy, Jason and Kyle were best friends, until Amy is murdered by a werewolf. Their group is starting to fall apart. Jason was Amy’s boyfriend and he is trying to join the Trackers. They are a non-governmental group against werewolves. Mac decides to search for the werewolf herself to keep Jason away from them, but she gets threatened by the leader of the group. That’s when Kyle comes to the rescue, but he makes things only worse.

Mac was a solid character. She is loyal to her friends and she had some brave moments. Her background story is sad, but she never whines about it. I didn’t know what to think of Jason, but I liked Kyle. Amy was terrifying, because she appears in Mac’s nightmares. This girl had a lot of secrets. There are some other interesting characters, like Mac’s niece Tess and her friend Ben.

This book didn’t blow me away as much as I expected. There was a bit too much teen angst for my taste and the Kyle/Mac situation started to get annoying. I wanted more action and investigation, instead of love drama. Halfway, there is something that looks like a love-triangle and I didn’t like it. But, like I mentioned before, there were some great twists. I always like it when an author can surprise me by going into a different direction. The plot was good. I liked how Mac slowly unraveled the secrets around Amy’s death and the ending of this book makes me excited for part two. The only thing I’m worried about is that it might be a book filled with even more drama, since the mystery is solved.

“Are you alright?" he asked warily. "Sure," I lied as I turned and headed for the stairs. So softly that only a werewolf could hear, I added, "You can't lose what you never had.”

author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

24 comments:

  1. I love a good novel with highly unpredictable twists and turns - I'm definitely giving this one a shot! While I'm not that huge a fan of love dramas, I think the mystery aspect will make me enjoy this novel. Great review, Mel! :)

    Lyra @ Defiantly Deviant

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been wanting to read Hemlock since it was released last year. I just haven't gotten to it. Sometime, hopefully :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm always looking for new takes on werewolves with unpredictable twists because I find a lot of books tend to be predictable.

    I shall definitely be trying to get my hands on Hemlock sooner, since it sounds like a really fun read!

    Lovely review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love werewolves myself and I'm pleased to see this is a great new take! I have been on the fence weather to read this one or not because of the mixed reviews I have been reading! But your great review has me reaching for this book! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy to hear that. I hope you're going to love it Carly!

      Delete
  5. I like the sound of Mac being loyal to her friends and being brave at the right time.
    Happy reading,
    Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been interested in this one for quite awhile. I think I like the take it has on werewolves. Wondering how I will feel about the love drama too. Thanks for sharing your thoughts! :)

    ~Sara @ Forever 17 Books

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm, great twists & werewolves vs. "average" and overkill on teenage angst....what to do?! ;) Thanks for the review, Mel.

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, that was exactly what I thought before I tried it out. It's not that bad, but it didn't had the 'wow' factor :)

      Delete
  8. Intriguing story! I love twists so that's always a plus. YAY on non-whining MCs. She has a reason to whine, but she doesn't, so I already admire her for it. It all sounds great, love the review!

    Sunny @ Blue Sky Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am still on the fence on whether I should read this or not, I have seen many mixed reviews just like your Mel! But it sounds as if I should give it ago maybe?

    Thank you for the fantastic review <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really want to pick this one up soon. I like that the mystery captured you though. I'm a total sucker for mysteries.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I had really similar opinions to you about this book-the wolf stuff was cool but the teenage drama was a bit much.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been interested in this one on and off for a while now and had actually all but forgotten about it until I saw this review- it sounds unique but I think the characters sound like they might become a little too frustrating for my taste, and I can't abide horror 99.9901 percent of the time, so I think this one is not for me. But, that quote is absolutely wonderful! I love it so much.
    Excellent review!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, yes, I understand why this didn't blow you away, despite the original take on werewolves. I started it two times and two times I had to put it aside because it was too depressing. I'll go back to it eventually, but not now
    GReat review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to say that the beginning was tough, but after a while, the story grew on me :)

      Delete
  14. I still haven't read this book, but I'm a huge fan of the covers!! Plus, I love to read about werewolves! They're always great!
    I think I'll give it a try!
    Thanks for the review!

    Lis @ The reader lines

    ReplyDelete
  15. Teen drama can really put me off books sometimes, which is a funny thing to admit seeing as though I rarely read outside of the YA genre. I hope the angst here isn't quite as bad for me, as I do really like the sound of the rest of it. I'm glad you mostly enjoyed it, Mel! Lovely review as always. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've read a lot of mixed reviews of this one! I hate teen drama so it is a pass for me!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great review Mel! I read this one when it first came out and my thoughts were pretty similar to yours. Have you read the synopsis for the next book? Because it sounds really good- and HOPEFULLY there won't be a full-fledged love triangle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read it today and you are right, it sounds like it could be good! :)

      Delete
  18. Hmm, yeah I prefer more action to a plot, as opposed to relationship drama, as well. So this may not be the book for me - though I can definitely see that it does have quite a few redeeming traits. And hopefully the sequel will introduce a new mystery or something?

    ReplyDelete
  19. I totally agree about it being a twist on the werewolf genre. I was not expecting to like this book, but I loved it!


    Kate @ Ex Libris

    ReplyDelete
  20. oh wow... I hoped that you would have loved this one more. I know my sister is literally OBSESSED with hemlock! Great review Mel!
    - Farah @ MajiBookshelf

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0