Thursday, February 21, 2013 10:51

Review 129. Marissa Meyer – Scarlet.

Scarlet (Lunar Chronicles, #2)Title: Scarlet.
Author: Marissa Meyer.
Pages: 452. 
Published: February 5th 2013.
Publisher: Feiwel and Friends.
Sort: Part two of ‘Lunar Chronicles.’
Review Part 1: Cinder.
Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit’s grandmother is missing. It turns out there are many things Scarlet doesn’t know about her grandmother and the grave danger she has lived in her whole life. When Scarlet encounters Wolf, a street fighter who may have information as to her grandmother’s whereabouts, she has no choice but to trust him, though he clearly has a few dark secrets of his own. As Scarlet and Wolf work to unravel one mystery, they find another when they cross paths with Cinder. Together, they must stay one step ahead of the vicious Lunar Queen who will do anything to make Prince Kai her husband, her king, her prisoner.
Rating:


Excuse me for fangirling, but AHHHHHHHHHHHH. This. was. so. good. I need to include some gifs to show you my love for this book, because I can’t express it with words alone. This was just epic and perfect. I might even liked it more than Cinder, because we get to meet Scarlet, Wolf and Thorne. More of that later in the summary, first;

tumblr_inline_mh5vzsEwZ21qgy7zt
All right. I’m okay. I’m okay. *Breathe*

If you haven’t read Cinder, there are spoilers in the summary, but you can read the review, conclusion and quote :)

This book starts with Scarlet. She is worried about her grandmother who disappeared two weeks ago. The authority has given up their search, but Scarlet is determined to find her. There is something wrong, she knows is. During one of her working days, she meets Wolf. He has something to do with her grandmother and he confesses that he was part of a special Pack. Now, he is offering his help to find her back and Scarlet knows that she needs him.

tumblr_md8t6wXX7c1r6v0ko

Every other chapter, we get to see the story of our beloved Cinder. She is trying to escape out of the prison (remember? Cinder warned Kai that Queen Levana wants to marry him, so she can kill him to take control over the world. Cinder is actually Princess Selene from Lunar and she is a treat to Levana’s hold of the throne. That is why Levana wants her dead.) Cinder literally falls into the cell of ‘Captain’ Thorne. He is there for several criminal actions and one of them is stealing a space ship. They flee together and Cinder gets information about Michelle Benoit; Scarlet’s grandmother.

That is how their stories come together on a critical point near the end of the book.

I’m going to try to explain why I loved this book so much. First, it was fun to switch between the stories of Scarlet/Wolf and Cinder/Thorne. I adore every character. They are so fleshed out and it’s great how kick ass Scarlet and Cinder are. They aren’t helpless or weak, but smart and caring. Scarlet is so loyal. She is willing to do anything to save her grandmother. Wolf is dangerously sexy and Thorne is a sweet womanizer. We also have glimpses of Kai, who is trying to make the best decisions for his country. Queen Levana is a true villain and we finally get to see why she is such a danger; her evil master plan is revealed.

Second, I liked the way she showed parts of the first book. Instead of explaining the first book like a summary, we get subtle reminders of what happened to keep the story clear and easy to follow.

I was constantly turning pages and I was sucked into their stories. Her writing style is so addictive and flowing. It was fun to see how Cinder and Scarlet meet and what their connection is. This climax was so well-done. It was somewhat predictable, but Marissa shows that it’s not always a bad thing. As long as you fill the book with action, romance and awesome characters, you can work with a strong predictable plot. The ending was heart-breaking. Not because it’s a cliff-hanger (thank god), but I realized that I have to wait a year before I can continue this series. It was satisfying though. I can’t stand most cliff-hangers and this was a good wrapped up ending.

I’m going to count the days until I can have Cress in my hands.

Awesome. Perfection.

“We met less than a week ago and in that time I've done nothing but lie and cheat and betray you. I know. But if you give me a chance...all I want is to protect you. To be near you. For as long as I'm able.”

author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

65 comments:

  1. YAY! I'm so so glad that you loved this book sweetie :) Sigh. I found Scarlet to be so so perfect. I just adored Scarlet and Wolf :) And of course Cinder and Kai. <3 Just need them to be together again.. sniffs. I also did enjoy reading about Thorne ;) But yes. Omg. I need Cress right away. Wants it. <3 Thank you for sharing your amazing review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm also glad I loved it so much, but I was expecting it after all the other reviews :D

      Delete
  2. I loved this book too and cannot wait for Cress! Cinder was an okay read for me but Scarlet just stepped it up and was amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked Cinder, but this one was awesome because of the new characters.

      Delete
  3. (Thanks for the warning at the start of this review; I haven't read CINDER yet! I know, I know, I'm totally missing out.) Your review made me laugh! I'm so glad you enjoyed SCARLET, it definitely sounds like a great second book in a series. :) Those GIFs were hilarious, too. In fact, I'm quite intrigued by the non-cliffhanger ending which still makes you want to get your hands on CRESS ASAP!

    Great review, Mel! I need to get to CINDER soon. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you are missing out indeed! Go read it SOON! :D The ending was the perfect conclusion to this book, but it's a great step-up for part three. You will see what I mean once you read it :D

      Delete
  4. I loved Thorn, he's one of those characters that will always be entertaining. I didn't realize the summary part, but you're right, there wasn't any descriptive recap of Cinder and I liked that. I can't wait to read Cress, I want more Scarlet, Wolf, Thorn, Cinder & Iko. Great review, Mel =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SPOILER. SPOILER.

      I decided to leave Iko out of the review, because it's a slight spoiler. I never knew she was coming back.

      Delete
  5. Ahhh, I can't wait to start this series (I kow, I can't believe I haven't already!). Everyone's talking about it and saying how amazing it is!
    Great review, Mel! : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should try it out soon! It's a great twist on the fairytales we know :)

      Delete
  6. I'm glad to see you liked the book! I liked the book, too, and in several ways, it's better than its predecessor; but for some weird reason, I couldn't appreciate Scarlet as much. She was badass, yes, but she was so impulsive that it made me want to strangle her... argh! It was so close to this certain moment that I wished she would just shut the eff up already. HAHA.

    I still need to post my review of this. But while better than Cinder, I could only give it 4 stars. Yes, Scarlet, you ruined it! *pout*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hear that! Her impulsive behavior made her very realistic in my eyes. I always like it when the characters have flaws. I can't wait to read your review! :)

      Delete
  7. So... I take it that you like this, just a bit :)
    The characters sound wonderful, and I can't wait to make time in my schedule to read these.
    Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cress is a cool title. I am looking forward to reading this book myself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just found your blog and I love it! :) I bought Cinder a few days ago and I haven't read it yet, so I didn't read your review so I won't spoil the first book. But I'm so glad you liked the second, I'm definitely excited to get through both of them! :)

    Nancy (tumblingbooks.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I can't wait to hear your thoughts on Cinder :D

      Delete
  10. YES YES YES! This book was AMAAAAAAZING. The climax was fantastic. Scarlet was a complete badass and I am slightly in love with her. Are you kind of liking Thorne/Cinder together? BECAUSE I KIND OF AM. A lot.

    I must learn to control myself but my love for this book is just skjdfksdjkljdg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *whispers* I think I like Thorne/Cinder more than Kai/Cinder *end of whispers* Thorne really makes Cinder show another side of herself - a side I like.

      I'm also trying to control myself, while I actually want to shove this book into everybody's face, forcing them to read it right away.

      Delete
  11. Great review, Mel! I'm so looking forward to starting Scarlet. Cinder was such great read, and I just love how the stories are inspired by fairytales...but are something unique all the same. So clever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one of the things I also love. The fact that I haven't read a retelling like this before. The sci-fi elements are great.

      Delete
  12. YAY! So glad you loved Scarlet! I loved it too! Okay, enough with the exclamation marks :)

    I thought Meyer ended Scarlet perfectly. I loved seeing the determination that Cinder has now. And seriously, Scarlet was kick-ass! I don't ever want to get on her bad side. Also - totally inlove with Wolf! Oops - there's another exclamation point but it needs to stay there.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love Scarlet as well! I really did! It was so well done!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so glad you loved it. I'm reading it right now and OMGOSH SO GOOD! Great review!

    Deidra @ Simply Books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to hear what you think about it Deidra!

      Delete
  15. *FANGIRLS WITH YOU* this series is PERFECTION!!! Though I am still team Cinder/Kai!! I really enjoyed that we were able to read both of their worlds, and God, it was perfect! Great review, and i LOVE the gifs!!
    - Farah @ MajiBookshelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *HIGH FIVE* Lunar Chronicles fans unite! :D I thought the gifs were adorable. I might use them now and then to spice things up :)

      Delete
  16. Hah, I guess all those gifs mean you liked it, ha? :) All this enthusiasm makes me especially glad I have this one scheduled for March. I've been hearing so many amazing things.
    Fantastic review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yep ;) I can't wait to hear your thoughts Maja :)

      Delete
  17. Considering how much I liked Cinder, I'm probably going to go crazy waiting for Scarlet to arrive! Your review made me even more impatient (especially the gifs part at the beginning; I have a soft spot for them :D). And I like that Scarlet is obviously a badass. I like reading about heroines like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This book is worth the wait :D Happy reading!

      Delete
  18. YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY MEL!!!! Wasn't this book just amazing? I was definitely worried that I wouldn't like the addition of Scarlet since I just wanted to stick with Cinder, but I really enjoyed her and I LOVED Wolf. More of him in the next book please! Wonderful review!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hahahahah nice review! So glad you liked it! I loved it, far better than Cinder :D Can't wait for more :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really need to get started on this soon, don't I? ;) I don't think I've read a single negative review for this yet! I'm glad you enjoyed it, Mel. I had mixed thoughts on Cinder, but I liked it well enough to want to pick up the sequel. It's good to hear that the two stories (Cinder's and Scarlet's) work well together. I'm eager to see how that's done.

    Lovely review as always! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to read it soon Sam! :) I'm looking forward to read your review.

      Delete
  21. Ok, I haven't read Cinder, but, I'm dying for read it.

    Regards!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the gifs you included and I feel the exact same way. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those gifs were the perfect way to express my feelings :p

      Delete
  23. She definitely did an amazing job adding in new characters and keeping Cinders story right there in the forefront. Blending them, I guess. I loved it too! I still liked Cinder more (maybe just cause I went in with zero expectations, and this time I definitely had higher expectations) but I really enjoyed this one. And Wolf, wow, I love character that you just don't know what to think about. My instincts trusted him, but I didn't know whether to trust my instincts,lol. Wonderful and fun review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was happy that Cinder got here moments to shine. Like you said, the stories blended so well.

      Delete
  24. omg. I feel so left out. I really really need to read this series. what is wrong with me? I have to read this soon. Thanks for sharing and so glad you loved it Mel. great review and that gifs *lolling* xox

    FICBOOKREVIEWS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you are going to read it soon. You will love it! :)

      Delete
  25. Oh my this sounds amazing! I haven't read the first book (yes somebody should beat me for that) and I'm really planing to. I'm happy that the Scarlet didn't disappoint! :) BTW I love the gifs :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a bit insecure about the gifs, but I'm happy that they work :D

      Delete
  26. "Wolf is dangerously sexy and Thorne is a sweet womanizer", YES! That's EXACTLY how I feel about them, and this is just a perfect description. And I love how badass Cinder and Scarlet are and I loved the story and I couldn't put it down and I love everything about it and EEEEEEEP! I have a huge crush on this book. This deserves a keyboard slam because it was SO FREAKING GOOD: afdjsiaopfjewaoicmdpsaow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks for making me aware of my mistake :p I've edited dangerous into dangerously. English can be so hard sometimes.

      Now, this book deserves hundreds of keyboard slams! The awesomeness is overwhelming :D

      Delete
    2. OHHH I hadn't even noticed that XD But I knowwww, sometimes I read my reviews and I'm like, what? What did I even want to say here?! Anyway, love this book <3333 I'm going to fangirl about it for a loooong time.

      Delete
    3. Haha, yes, I know that feeling. I am copying all my old reviews in a Word document and some mistakes are just.. *facepalm*

      I just can't get this book out of my head! I want to talk about it to everyone <3

      Delete
  27. LOVE this post! Just read Scarlet last week and I feel the same way! I miss these characters and I said the same thing in my review! Throne was such a great addition, Wolf...rawr. And Scarlet!?! What a kickass girl! NEED more of this story!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Dangerously sexy?? Umm, where do I sign up for that?

    I love how excited you are in this review - it's contagious! It definitely makes me want to put down my current read in order to pick Scarlet up! Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did my job :D I hope you will pick it up soon!

      Delete
  29. Eeeep! The way you reviewed and gushed about Scarlet makes me even more excited to pick it up! I love me some dangerously sexy boys.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oooh I need to pick this up! Loved your review!!!!

    ~New Linky Follower!~

    ~Kayla
    Kayla’s Place

    ReplyDelete
  31. LOVE this review! All the gifs worked perfectly to describe my emotions, and I was really happy to see a lot of Cinder because I didn't think she would be in Scarlet as much as she was. I also loved getting to see Iko come back! Fabulous review! :)

    Alice @ Alice in Readerland

    ReplyDelete
  32. Great review! I felt the same way after I read it. I can't believe I have to wait so long for the next book! The wait is going to be horrible! I love Scarlet and Wolf! I need her to stop Kai from marrying Levana though. NEED IT!

    ReplyDelete
  33. This is EXACTLY what I needed Mel! Thank you! I was somewhat less than impressed with Cinder, so I've been reluctant to pick up Scarlet. But, I knew there were new characters (and I ADORE Little Red retellings), so I wanted to give it a shot at least. This makes me more hopeful that I'll like it more than Cinder. Great review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0