Sunday, February 24, 2013 20:31

Review 130. Cynthia Hand – Hallowed.

Hallowed (Unearthly, #2)Title: Hallowed.
Author: Cynthia Hand.
Pages: 403.
Published: January 17th 2012 (first published January 1st 2012). 
Publisher: HarperTeen.
Sort: Part two of ‘Unearthly’
Review part one: Unearthly.
For months Clara Gardner trained to face the fire from her visions, but she wasn't prepared for the choice she had to make that day. And in the aftermath, she discovered that nothing about being part angel is as straightforward as she thought. Now, torn between her love for Tucker and her complicated feelings about the roles she and Christian seem destined to play in a world that is both dangerous and beautiful, Clara struggles with a shocking revelation: Someone she loves will die in a matter of months. With her future uncertain, the only thing Clara knows for sure is that the fire was just the beginning.
Rating:

This book was even better than the first one. There is much more action and less Tucker obsession. It was fast-paced and I liked the plot. There was a twist I suspected, but some things still managed to surprise me.

Clara’s life is changing drastically when she has another vision. Someone she loves is going to die and there is nothing she can do about it. She is afraid that it’s Tucker, and that is when she transforms into a stalker. She creeps to his house to watch him sleep in the night (Twilight anybody?) I understand why she is protective, but this was so weird. The only thing I liked about it was the fact that Clara knew she was acting creepy and we get a lot of Clara-Tucker time! Tucker stole my heart. He is so sweet and I love how he handles the situation.

Clara also has two stalkers on her own. Christian and Samjeeza (the Dark Wing from Unearthly) Christian is sure about their destiny together and Clara is doing her best to ignore him. That is hard when Angela decides to start an Angel club, where they keep each other updated. He keeps popping up and Tucker is getting annoyed. I was mentally shouting at Christian to back off and there were several moments I wished I could smack him. I understand that it is hard for him, but he just has to fight against it like Clara.

Like things aren’t hard enough already; Jeffrey is acting strange and her father shows up after all those years, revealing old secrets. What I appreciate is the fact that there is no information dump. We slowly get information about Sam and the purpose of Angels on earth. I still find Cynthia’s take on Angels unique. 

I can’t wait to see what is going to happen in the last book.

“I’ve learned that a storm isn’t always just bad weather, and a fire can be the
start of something. I’ve found out that there are a lot more shades of gray in this world than I ever knew about. I’ve learned that sometimes, when you´re afraid but you keep on moving forward, that’s the biggest kind of courage there is. And finally, I’ve learned that life isn’t really about failure and success. It’s about being present, in the moment when big things happen, when everything changes, including myself.” Eye-ore
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

37 comments:

  1. Hallowed was easily my favourite book of the trilogy - it left me absolutely heartbroken! I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

    And I love that Clara doesn't take herself too seriously, and that she calls herself out on her crap - she's one of my favourite heroines because of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree about Tucker. He was so sweet in this one, and I felt the same way about Christian too. Glad I'm not the only one! I thought this was better than the first as well. Great review, Mel! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great that we have the same thoughts on Tucker and Christian! :)

      Delete
  3. I actually didn't much like Tucker so I was glad to see their relationship become more complicated here. I am still wishing for more information about Jeffrey-he feels so shunted aside much of the time when he has angel wings and a part to play too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely interesting to see how their relationship got more difficult, but I still prefer him :) I can't wait to find out more about Jeffrey.

      Delete
  4. Oooh I may not agree with your opinion about Christian but I will agree that I LOVE this book! That end quote especially is one of my favs! I really liked how Tucker totally called Clara out on the Twilight reference. I was laughing out loud!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the quote is great and I loved the Twilight reference, haha.

      Delete
  5. oh man, I am NOT a Christian fan so I DO hope he backs off because I will not be happy if Clara ends up with him. Tucker is too sweet <3 and I like that there is more action in this one, I need to pick it up!!

    - Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  6. She sneaks in to watch him sleep, eh? Heh, that is weird, but at least she admits to it! I still need to read this series myself, but I am happy to hear you loved this more than the first. It does seem like the angel mythology is pretty original, so that's cool! Looking forward to your review of the final book! I'm curious to hear if it'll be a satisfying conclusion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that it is a good ending. That's why I'm always 'scared' to read the last book.

      Delete
  7. Awesome review, Mel - so glad you enjoyed this more than the 1st book! I really need to get my hands on Unearthly already! LOVE the quote - thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you can get a copy from Unearthly soon! :)

      Delete
  8. I really love this series! I'm not a big angel fan, but this is one series that I do really enjoy. I have Boundless, I just need to read it already!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for this review! Glad to hear this book didn't disappoint! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. YEAH MEL!!! So glad you enjoyed this one too, I just adore this series. Things are getting got so very complex in this one and I loved that about it. Can't wait to see what you think of Boundless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am reading it right now and so far, it's good :D

      Delete
  11. I enjoyed the first, and am pumped to hear that the second is even better. I need to get my hands on this one soon.

    Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know everyone LOVED Hallowed, but I actually had mixed feelings about it. First, it was soooo sad. That person that dies. Oh my gosh, I can't handle things like that. I also got really frustrated with Clara and the whole Christian thing. Ugh! So I am really nervous to read the final book. I should read it, but I need to wait until I am in just the right mood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. It was very sad, but I think it plays an important role in this book :)

      Delete
  13. ADGJDFDALHF. Mel. This sounds AMAZING. I can't believe I still haven't started on this series. I'LL FIX IT SOON. VERY SOON! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  14. So.. I actually haven't read any of these. *Hides under table* People usually go off and use some sort of violence on me when they hear this news LOL. I guess I was always under the interpretation they were basic, cliche angel novels. I've yet to see a real negative review on them so I don't know why I just didn't give them a chance. I didn't want to read too much of your review just in case, but I tell your enthusiasm for this is strong! I hear this series has a wicked love triangle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, there are so many series I feel like I NEED to read to keep up, so I know how you feel :p I hope you will give it a shot!

      Delete
  15. I really liked this one, but I didn't enjoy it as much as the first. Too much Christian for me. I don't mind the guy, but I prefer Tucker, and would have liked to have seen more of him. And I have a feeling Clara is going to end up with Christian in the next book. Ugh. I just love Tucker so much *cries*

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are not the first person I have seen call Christian a stalker. LOL I actually really liked his character though. Of course I also loved Tucker in this one too. This love triangle had me very torn. Can't wait to hear what you think about the finale!

    ~Sara @ Forever 17 Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm not surprised, since he is acting like a stalker :p

      Delete
  17. I've been hearing such great things about this series, I think it's time for me to finally get the first book (especially since you enjoyed both it and the sequel so much)! Heh, but Clara - and Christian - sound like characters I won't really like...

    Your review's given me a lot to think of, Mel! Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clara is okay. She has some great qualities. Christian is a bit.. meh. He is a great friend, but he needs to back off :p

      Delete
  18. Ah, amazing review sweetie :) I still need to start this series.. but I think that I will, soon :D Tucker sounds amazing. <3 Christian sounds like an asshole :D lol. I thought this series was a big love triangle. But from your review it doesn't sound like it? Hope I'm right :) Thank you for sharing your honest review. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The love-triangle is there and it pops up, but it's not the main focus.

      Delete
  19. I read Unearthly but never got the chance to read Hallowed. Maybe I should read it now. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0