Tuesday, February 26, 2013 11:17

Review 131. Bella Forrest – A shade of vampire.

A Shade of VampireTitle: A shade of vampire.
Author: Bella Forrest.
Pages: 147.
Published: December 14th 2012.
Source: I got an e-copy from the author.
Buy: USA paperback. USA ebook. UK paperback. UK ebook.
On the evening of Sofia Claremont's seventeenth birthday, she is sucked into a nightmare from which she cannot wake. A quiet evening walk along a beach brings her face to face with a dangerous pale creature that craves much more than her blood. She is kidnapped to an island where the sun is eternally forbidden to shine. An island uncharted by any map and ruled by the most powerful vampire coven on the planet. She wakes here as a slave, a captive in chains.  Sofia's life takes a thrilling and terrifying turn when she is the one selected out of hundreds of girls to join the harem of Derek Novak, the dark royal Prince. Despite his addiction to power and obsessive thirst for her blood, Sofia soon realizes that the safest place on the island is within his quarters, and she must do all within her power to win him over if she is to survive even one more night. Will she succeed? ...or is she destined to the same fate that all other girls have met at the hands of the Novaks?
Rating:

Part of the excerpt provided by the author:

This man was danger and I knew it. I tried to wriggle away from his touch, but I was no match for his strength.
“Tell me your name,” he commanded.
I was about to refuse, but was horrified to find myself blurting out my name in response.
“Sofia Claremont.”
As soon as I revealed my name, his eyes lit up with a kind of sinister approval. Then he reached for my face and traced his thumb over my jaw line.
“Hello, Sofia Claremont. You’re one stupid girl for taking a walk alone at this time of night. You never know what kind of evil a pretty little thing like you could happen to come by.”
I found myself wondering exactly what kind of evil he was. But I was suddenly overcome by the sensations that were surrounding me. My senses took in everything at once. I heard the waves, felt the sand, smelled the ocean salt, tasted the flavor of cherry and saw the stranger’s manic appearance as he stuck a needle to my neck. The effect was instant. I was barely able to gasp, much less scream. I went from sensing everything to sensing absolutely nothing.
My last conscious thought was that I may never see Ben again.

Mel4

author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

36 comments:

  1. Love the cover:) Sounds like an exciting book:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got this one for review, Mel! Will be interesting to compare our thoughts on this book after I finish reading it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this sounds like an interested read Mel, I'm always wary when picking up paranormal reads, but I may have to check this one out after your positive review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a short story, you could always try it out :)

      Delete
  4. Oooh, haven't heard of this one before. I'm not so sure about vampires, usually, but the snyopsis sounds intriguing. These two sound a lot like Sookie and Bill. I think I may have to put this book on my radar and see what other people think of it and then wrap my mind around reading it. Thanks so much for reviewing it, Mel! Always great to have new books to look into:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could try it out, since it's such a short story!

      Delete
  5. I really enjoy stories with alternating POVs. I think it adds so much to the story to see both sides of things. It also sounds interesting that the author didn't write the typical vampire story. It's nice to hear that it will be a bit unique in that regard.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't think a new and interesting take on vampires was even possible, to be honest, but I must confess I'm intrigued. The characters sound lovely, Derek especially, and I think I'll want to meet both him and Sofia soon enough.
    Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always happy when an author manages to surprise me in the end :)

      Delete
  7. I had pretty similar feelings about this book. I liked the ending, but I also felt the book was too short for me to really connect with any of the characters. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The author just told me that the next book is going to be much longer. Sounds great :)

      Delete
  8. I saw this one, but wasn't sure about picking it up. Thanks for your review - you clarified some things for me. There are just so many good books and such limited time to read them in, so I hate to waist on something I might not like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree :) That's why I love reviews so much. It's easy to find out if a book is a go or a no go :p

      Delete
  9. I love the cover for the book, but was hesitant about it, until I read your review; I might give it a try now. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope you'll enjoy it if you pick it up :)

      Delete
  10. This book definitely does sound like it gives a spin on the usual sappy vampire stories. ;) I wouldn't mind giving this a try, actually! Haha, I think instant-attraction is pretty common in all YA books. It's just insta-love that annoys me.

    Glad you enjoyed this overall, Mel! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I've read a YA without instant-attraction before :p

      Delete
  11. AWESOME review! Very balanced, pointing out the good, the bad, the ugly.

    I haven't read A Shade of Vampireyet but I did interview Bella recently at my blog. She's a doll! The book overall sounds enjoyable—the premise definitely drew me in—but I agree it isn't long enough to be completely developed. I've heard lots of complaints that it's way too short, but the author promises the sequel will be longer! The insta-love sounds a bit sketchy too, but as long as the story flows well, I wouldn't complain.

    ♥ Karielle @ Books à la Mode

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she also told me that in the mail I received yesterday. I think that the long story will be much better.

      Delete
  12. Great review, sweetie :) Glad you mostly enjoyed this book ;p I said no when asked to review it.. I'm still unsure if it is a book for me. Maybe at a later time :) It does seem pretty awesome, though ;p Thank you for sharing. <3
    Thank you for commenting on my mailbox. <3
    Love, Carina @ Carina's Books

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the cover! Not sure if the book is for me though :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I tried to read this and decided it wasn't exactly for me, I didn't care for the romance. I liked the background that was created though, the premise was really great! Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's always interesting to read books about overdone paranormal creatures like the vampires and getting to read a new perspective of them. I might try this out as its short and has the element of curiosity.

    Sana @ artsy musings of a bibliophile

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I love it when they can come up with something new :)

      Delete
  16. I haven't read a vampire book in such a long time which is weird because they are my favorite paranormal creature to read about. I definitely wanna check this one out, Thanks for your thoughts!

    Kristin @ Young Adult Book Haven

    ReplyDelete
  17. I hadn't even heard of this book before! I do love vampires, though. It sounds like it could be a fun read, though I may wait for the next one to be out before I try it. :)

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The author promised that the next one is going to be much longer. I think that will be better for the story :)

      Delete
  18. I'm not that big a vampire genre fan, but this one looks good and they cover is great. Adding it to my TBR and hopefully read it it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could always try it out, since it's so short :)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0