Saturday, March 02, 2013 12:58

Review 133. Anna Carey – Once.

Once (Eve, #2)Title: Once.
Author: Anna Carey.
Pages: 368.
Published: July 3rd 2012.
Publisher: HarperCollins.
Sort: Part two of ‘Eve’
Part one: Eve.
When you're being hunted, who can you trust? For the first time since she escaped from her school many months ago, Eve can sleep soundly. She's living in Califia, a haven for women, protected from the terrifying fate that awaits orphaned girls in The New America. But her safety came at a price: She was forced to abandon Caleb, the boy she loves, wounded and alone at the city gates. When Eve gets word that Caleb is in trouble, she sets out into the wild again to rescue him, only to be captured and brought to the City of Sand, the capital of The New America. Trapped inside the City walls, Eve uncovers a shocking secret about her past--and is forced to confront the harsh reality of her future. When she discovers Caleb is alive, Eve attempts to flee her prison so they can be together--but the consequences could be deadly. She must make a desperate choice to save the ones she loves.. or risk losing Caleb forever.
Rating:

If you haven’t read Eve, I would suggest to skip this review. There are spoilers. 


This story continues a few months after Eve’s arrival in Califia, the safe haven for women. The King is still looking for her. She is hunted by her memories of Puck, Arden, Ruby and most of all, Caleb. I was so happy when Arden returned in the story, because I think she is more interesting than Eve.

When Arden and Eve overhear a conversation between the leaders of Califia, it’s clear that they want to use Eve as a bargain. The two girls decide that it’s time to leave, especially when they hear someone talk about Caleb. They leave in the night and walk right into a trap. They are caught and transported to the City. Arden is locked away in one of the camps, Eve is taken to the King. I finally got the information I was waiting for. The reason why he is so desperate to find Eve and I liked the twist it gave to the story.

Caleb found a way to get into the City and he is trying to make tunnels under the City with some other rebels. Eve and Caleb have secret meetings and I thought they were so stupid. I understand that you want to be together. I know that you’ve missed each other, but what the hell where they thinking? It was just a matter of time before they are caught. I thought Caleb would be smarter than this, because let’s face it: Eve is only intelligent when it comes to books. She isn’t good at making good choices and she is too impulsive. I do love her loyalty towards Caleb. I can’t wait to read Rise, because the ending is a killer.

I liked this book more than Eve (rated with 3 flowers) Most of this book is about Eve worrying over Caleb (it seems like Arden isn’t important enough) or trying to escape, but I liked the background story. We get more information and we get to know more of the King.

“You do anything for the person you love,” she said finally. "And then when you don’t think you can give any more of yourself, you do. You keep going. Because it would kill you not to.”

Pooh
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

13 comments:

  1. I enjoyed Once, but I agree with you about the ending. I'm hoping what happened doesn't actually turn out to be true. I love the quote you picked! Amazing review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read Eve, so I did skip you review in case of spoilers. I will say that I love that quote you picked out though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I suggested to skip the review if you haven't read the book! :)

      Delete
  3. I think any character is more interesting than Eve, honestly. She annoys me to no end, especially her impulsive nature. Eve makes it very hard for me to like these books. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heh, I still need to read EVE, but I'm not sure I'll be giving this series a try since it's had pretty mixed reviews. Glad you enjoyed this overall though. LOL, you make Eve sound... *cough* dumb. Not that I'm saying that people are dumb when they are only intelligent with books. But I don't think I'll like Eve much as a main character!

    LOVED the quote, Mel! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, there is definitely nothing wrong with being book smart (look at Hermione!), but when it comes to certain situations.. *sigh* She can be very stupid.

      Delete
  5. One character worrying about another throughout the book doesn't exactly sound appealing to me, but I'm determined to give this series a try at some point, if for nothing else, than because I've been meaning to since forever.
    Great review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I know that feeling. You just need to read it, because you want it :p

      Delete
  6. Okay, I read this review even though I haven't read Eve (mainly because I have no plans to). I was still curious to see what you thought of the sequel though and I am pleased that you at least liked this one a bit more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The spoilers aren't too dramatic, thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  7. Omg! it's Eve#2! I have Eve and I knew Once was going to come out. Can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0