Review 136. Cynthia Hand – Boundless.

Boundless (Unearthly, #3)Title: Boundless.
Author: Cynthia Hand.
Pages: 438.
Published: January 22nd 2013 by HarperTeen.
Sort: Part three of ‘Unearthly’
Part one: Unearthly.
Part two: Hallowed.


The past few years have held more surprises than part-angel Clara Gardner could ever have anticipated. Yet from the dizzying highs of first love, to the agonizing low of losing someone close to her, the one thing she can no longer deny is that she was never meant to live a normal life. Since discovering the special role she plays among the other angel-bloods, Clara has been determined to protect Tucker Avery from the evil that follows her.. even if it means breaking both their hearts. Leaving town seems like the best option, so she’s headed back to California - and so is Christian Prescott, the irresistible boy from the vision that started her on this journey in the first place. As Clara makes her way in a world that is frighteningly new, she discovers that the fallen angel who attacked her is watching her every move. And he’s not the only one.. With the battle against the Black Wings looming, Clara knows she must finally fulfill her destiny. But it won’t come without sacrifices and betrayal.
Rating:
2 stars

I suggest to skip this review if you haven’t read Boundless, because there are spoilers. To give you a short version of the review: it was boring. I'm not really sure what happened here. I liked Unearthly and Hallowed was even better, but this was just so disappointing. The plot is thin and the love-triangle is spread out and dragged on.

Let me start by saying three positive things about this book. Samjeeza is still there. From every character in the book, he is the most fascinating. I also liked the twist with Angela’s pregnancy and how that added some excitement to the thin plot. Did anybody suspected this when Angela was acting so strange? I did come to the realization that I actually don’t like her that much. She is bossy, mean and a hypocrite. I was also happy to see some more of Jeffrey, but I still feel like he didn’t get enough time to shine. He was always there on the background and I think there was more to him.

The thing that bothered me the most is the fact that Christian is there. All. the. freaking. time. You can say that I wasn’t a big fan of him, but I went to a straight hater.

Naamloos

Are you kidding me? I can’t even.. He expects her to give up her feelings just like that? Oh boy, can you imagine that a girl doesn’t like you! The horror! It must be impossible to understand, annoying bonehead. One thing I admired about him is the fact that he stays such a good and loyal friend, because Clara doesn’t deserve that.

This is going to start my rant about Clara. She really need to make up her mind and stop acting like a whiny baby! She keeps popping up at Tuckers place, giving him all these double signals and she is dating with Christian while she is thinking of Tucker. Come on, do I have to spell it out for you? Stop wasting your time and go to your boy already. At least she ends up with Tucker, otherwise I would have dropped the rating to 2 flowers. On the other hand, how the hell did she end with such a sweet, nice guy when she is screwing with his feelings?

The plot was, like I said, very thin. This book was definitely not like the other two. It is completely based on the ‘romance’ and the love-triangle, instead of the battle. When we were heading towards the ending I was hoping on a good fight. Unfortunately, it’s fairly easy solved.

Let me say it this way: if I knew that the series ended like this, I might never started it in the first place.
Pooh 2

30 comments

  1. Aww I'm sorry to hear you didn't enjoy this book! I'd actually heard so many great things about this series and I was looking forward to reading it. I'm a little bit put off now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were a lot of people who loved Boundless, so it could be just me!

      Delete
  2. Ouch, it sounds like it sucked. But I'm really sorry, I can't actually read your review because I haven't read Boundless! o.O I think I might die now. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I skipped the review because I haven't read Boundless yet. I'll get to it eventually. I'm so sad that you found it boring :( I loved Unearthly, and I liked Hallowed although I thought that the romance was SO FREAKIN' ANNOYING. I'm sure you review was fabulous, despite not reading it xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you found the romance annoying, I think you are going to have the same thoughts like me :p Because there is basically only romance in here..

      Delete
  4. Aww, I'm sorry you didn't like this finale. I actually really liked Christian, even though I was team Tucker. I was more miffed that we spent so much time on book 2 and 3 on seemingly pushing them together and Tucker was pushed into the background. That was my only gripe. I wish he was more in this one. But I loved the series. I'm sorry you didn't feel the same. :(

    ~Sara @ Forever 17 Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I didn't thought about that. I was Team Tucker all the way, but I can see how annoying it can be if you like Christian. This really was a love-triangle with no point..

      Delete
  5. What? Now I don't want to read it. I read Unearthly last year and loved it and after the release of Boundless I was really looking forward to finishing this series. I still will read it but won't have any high expectation. Thanks for your review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed Boundless, but I also think I rated it generously because of how much I loved the series. I don't think it would fare well with a re-read, because like you said, not much happens! And you're right about Angela - she always kind of got on my nerves, but she was just awful in Boundless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've read your review and I was happy you liked it. I had to be fair in my rating, because I just didn't like it.

      Delete
  7. I've been hearing really great things about the series, so I'm sad that the third and final book (which should be the best, right?) didn't live up to your expectations. I'm not a fan of boring books, too, so I guess I understand where you're coming from. I won't read the review, since I haven' read ANY of the books, so yeah.

    Thanks for the heads-up, and great review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was expecting that this book was the best indeed. This is where the whole story is building towards and then instead of BAM it was.. Oh, this is it?

      Delete
  8. oh wow.. that sucks!! I haven't even started this series, but I hate how you didn't enjoy the last book! Your last sentence also scares me.. not sure if im gonna start it anytime soon.. Thanks for your honest review Mel!
    - Farah @MajiBookshelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely check out other reviews! Some really loved this book :)

      Delete
  9. I was pretty disappointed with this book too especially on the romantic aspect. Although I have been on Team Christian since from the start I wish Cynthia Hand did not put to much emphasis on him and Clara's relationship in this book since you see, it was pretty pointless when I reached the ending. She could have put more Tucker moments to convince me to like him even more. And yes, I think Clara's quite frustrating and disappointing here.

    Eunice @ Book Overdose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see why that annoyed you. I was on Team Tucker from the beginning, but I did miss the interaction between him and Clara sometimes. I wish they got more time together, so this book was pretty useless for the real story.

      Delete
  10. Aww man, this makes me not want to read any further than the first book (which I read years ago). Sorry it wasn't the ending you wanted. Boo.

    Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well darn, sorry to hear this book was a disappointment! I still haven't gotten around to reading this one and now I'm not sure I'm really eager to. Thanks for the great and honest review Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I keep thinking I want to read this series but I have seen bad reviews of this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? I thought I was the only one, because most of my friends of Goodreads are very positive about this one.

      Delete
  13. I'm sorry this series ended on such a poor note for you! I'm also a little glad I read your review as it makes me happy I decided not to pick this up in the end. Between books 2 and 3, the thought of the love triangle and Clara still not having made up her mind frustrated me quite a bit. So I decided to skip this one altogether. Thanks for being honest, Mel! I hope your next read is better. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was definitely a bit frustrating. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't enjoy this book either.

      Delete
  14. LOL at your short review: "It was boring." That makes me sad. I was going to start this series because everyone's been RAVING about the first one lately. Hmm... Maybe I'll just put it on the backburner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, it's the best description for this book :p

      Delete
  15. no no no! ok so i skipped reading the review because i didn't read it yet but BORING :( ugh! I have this on my shelf waiting for me! Boo. Series conclusions can be so difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Can't believe this! i absolutely love this book! I love Christian and Tucker <3 one of my favorite's books in the whole world!
    But i guess everybody had their own opinions :/
    *sorry if my english sucks*

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible.