Wednesday, March 13, 2013 21:03

Review 138. Tia Nevitt – The magic mirror and the seventh dwarf.

The Magic Mirror and the Seventh Dwarf (Accidental Enchantments, #2)Title: The magic mirror and the seventh dwarf.
Author: Tia Nevitt.
Pages: 250.
Published: February 18th 2013.
Publisher: Carina Press.
Sort: Part two of ‘Accidental Enchantments’
Source: Netgalley & Publisher.
Prince Richard is cursed. Enslaved to a magic mirror, he must truthfully answer the evil queen when she uses it to call on him. To keep from betraying innocents, Richard wanders the countryside and avoids people. All her life, Gretchen has been teased for being small. When she hears of a hidden farm populated by little people like her, she sets out to find it—and is welcomed by the mostly male inhabitants. Lars in particular woos her with his gentle kindness and quiet strength. Danger looms when Gretchen meets a runaway princess and offers her shelter at the Little Farm. Wandering nearby, Richard instantly falls in love with the beautiful princess, and is later compelled to tell the queen that she is not the fairest of them all. Enraged, the queen vows to find them and destroy them. If either Gretchen or Richard are to have their happy endings, they must team up to break the mirror's spell before the queen kills them all…
Rating:

This book was very entertaining and can be read as a stand-alone. I’m definitely going to check out the first book, The Sevenfold spell.

It all starts with two separate stories. Richard is connected to the mirror from The Evil Queen of Snow White (whose name is Ange here). She can ask him three questions every day and he must answer them with the truth. He is very clever in giving useless answers. I liked the way he tricked her into wasting her questions. Richard wants to slip into the castle to break the mirror, so he is free from the curse. That is how he sees Ange, a girl he met somewhere in the past. When the Queen wants to kill her, Richard warns the girl and Ange flees to a place she visits often; a dwarf farm.

This brings us to the other story. Gretchen has been teased all her life for being small. I respected her for the way she deals with the bad treatment. When she hears the story of a farm populated by little people, she decides to go there to find a husband. Lars is the lucky one. I was so happy that there was no instant-love. They are attracted to each other, but their feelings got enough time to feel realistic. Lars is a sweetheart and he makes Gretchen feel pretty. Her character development was great and it was good to see that she starts to realize that she is beautiful the way she is. Another good aspect was her family. Gretchen is 27 and she lives with her parents. They are very supportive and caring. They accept and love her for who she is.

I liked the way these two stories came together. The plot was interesting and there is a constant pace. Everything happened in the right time and I was never bored. The writing-style was quick, easy and had that old fairytalish feeling. The only thing that made this book a bit harsh is the fact that a character is trying to rape Gretchen. I think that this book is a mix between YA and Adult. If you are looking for something new when it comes to fairytales, this is the book you want to pick up.
Bambi
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

18 comments:

  1. Oooh, I love the sound of this! I especially like the idea of the 2 stories and the way they come together so well. So glad you enjoyed this, Mel! Fab review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was definitely a fun part of this book! :)

      Delete
  2. This looks so great, thanks for sharing:) This book I have to read sometime:) Sound like a good stories, and I love when it two-in one:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This books sounds pretty cool I like how it's 2 stories woven together. I've been really enjoying retellings this year so I'll have to keep an eye out for this series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finished the first book yesterday and I wouldn't bother to read that one, but this one is worth a try :D

      Delete
  4. Tia started blogging and reviewing at about the same time I did- so it's neat to see her doing well with her own books.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read The Sevenfold Spell but I didn't realize Nevitt was continuing the series. I will need to check this one out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one was such much better than the first one! My review will be up soon.

      Delete
  6. This sounds like an interesting take on the fairytales especially if it's an old style and I like the sound of the two stories coming together.

    Sounds like it could be fun! :) Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw, I do think this sounds like a pretty awesome book :D I'm glad you enjoyed it sweetie. <3 Thank you for sharing ;) (First time I have heard of the book, as well ;p)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome. If I hadn't spotted it on Netgalley, I don't think I would have known about this book either :p

      Delete
  8. I really like the sound of this one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have this on my Kindle and now I'm looking forward to reading it. Sounds like a really cute and sweet story!

    ReplyDelete
  10. First time seeing this one! Dwarf farm, dawww! Gretchen and Lars sound absolutely adorable >.< It's always so lovely when there's a constant momentum and growth, but unfortunately, that doesn't happen everywhere. Ooooh..I actually thought this was a middle-grade book at first XD I'll definitely want to read this in the near future; it sounds like a great tale! Awesome review as always! <3

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0