Tuesday, April 02, 2013 14:20

Review 145. Melanie Dickerson – The fairest beauty.

The Fairest BeautyTitle: The fairest beauty.
Author: Melanie Dickerson.
Pages: 323.
Published: January 8th 2013.
Publisher: Zondervan.
Sort: Stand-alone.
Source: Netgalley & Publisher.
A daring rescue.
A difficult choice.

Sophie desperately wants to get away from her stepmother's jealousy, and believes escape is her only chance to be happy. Then a young man named Gabe arrives from Hagenheim Castle, claiming she is betrothed to his older brother, and everything twists upside down. This could be Sophie's one chance at freedom—but can she trust another person to keep her safe? Gabe defied his parents Rose and Wilhelm by going to find Sophie, and now he believes they had a right to worry: the girl's inner and outer beauty has enchanted him. Though romance is impossible—she is his brother's future wife, and Gabe himself is betrothed to someone else—he promises himself he will see the mission through, no matter what. When the pair flee to the Cottage of the Seven, they find help—but also find their feelings for each other have grown. Now both must not only protect each other from the dangers around them—they must also protect their hearts.
Rating:

This book was good. It was fun, original and sweet, but I still had some things I would have loved to see different. The beginning of this book was incredibly strong. I was hooked to the characters and their storylines, but the story started to drag a little towards the ending. Their endless “No, I’m not falling in love” started to annoy me. Also, be aware of the fact that the religion aspect is very important in this book. Sophie is a strong believer and there is a lot of talk about forgiving your enemy. Sometimes, it was a bit too much for me.


The story is told from the third POV and switches very subtle between different storylines. I liked that a lot, because we get to know more about the whole situation. We see how Gabe and his brother Valten find out about Sophie and her real identity and then we see how ill-treated Sophie is. Gabe decides that he wants to rescue her, but he has no idea how dangerous Duchess Ermengard is. She rules her land with an iron fist and she is obsessed with her looks; the main reason why she hates Sophie so much.

Gabe is a complex character. He wants to save Sophie to prove himself to his parents. He is the second son, so he doesn’t have responsibilities like his brother Valten. Let me just say that Gabe used to enjoy life with his friends. He is brave and a good love-interest. It was fun to see how hard he is trying to not fall in love with Sophie. Sophie was sometimes a bit too perfect, but you have to like her. She has such a sweet spirit, but also her moments of kick-ass-ness. She was smart and I liked her thoughtfulness. It would have been better if she was a bit more flawed (and I don’t count the inability to dance as a flaw) but she was an interesting character.

It was a shame that we don’t get to meet the Seven. They have names and they have their purpose, but they are on the background. I wish they got more time to shine. Then, of course, Duchess Ermengard. I loathed her! She is the perfect villain. From the descriptions of her disgusting appearance to her hateful nature, she made me want to punch her in the face.

Overall, a book that made me interested in her other work.
Eye-ore
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

29 comments:

  1. This one sounds like a lot of fun! I'm always up for a good fairytale retelling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow so beautiful cover:) This sound so amazing:) Love to read this book sometime. I love a good fairytale retelling story, they all use to be so sweet:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I've been looking forward to reading this. :D Sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like an interesting book! I like it when stories let you follow different story lines....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Although I didn't love this book, it was enjoyable. I agree that Gabe is a complex character, and like you wished that the 7 were a bigger part of the story. Lovely review, Mel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This WAS a sweet book, wasn't it? I read it last month, but haven't had time to review it yet. Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have this book and I'm dying to read it! It sounds really good and fun. It's a shame that some of the characters didn't get more mention. I'm not too fond of having background characters, I feel like they're being left out. I'm glad you liked it though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really would like to read this one soon. I had an e-galley of it, but could only read it on my computer, which is not something I can do for long periods of time, so I never got very far into it.

    Great review! I'm glad you enjoyed it well enough. :)

    ~Merin @ Read and Reviewed~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get the chance to read it as a book soon :)

      Delete
  9. The Snow White fairy tales and remakes always catch my attention. I'm glad to hear this one was enjoyable as I've been itching to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I absolutely LOVE a good villain, though it's a shame to hear that the Seven don't have much of an influence.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've read Dickerson's other books and found them to be definitely Christian-infused-just so you know when you go to pick them up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind Christian-infused, but it started to get annoying. She was trying to force it a bit. I sometimes had the feeling "yeah, I know that she is a Christian, get on with it already"

      Delete
  12. I'm in the middle of reading this, and I'm really enjoying it so far. I like Gabe a lot, and the story is definitely really interesting. Amazing review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hmm. I'll put this on my tbr, but I'll probably wait a while before I read it. Thanks for the review!

    Tressa @ Tressa's Wishful Endings

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Fairest Beauty sounds like a wonderful read Mel, I like my mc's who are kick ass too and Gabe definitely sounds like a character I need to meet! Thanks for putting this book on my radar Mel! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I definitely want to read this one. Although, I'm a bit nervous, now, about the religious aspect of the book.

    Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The girl on the cover looks like Anne Hathaway (a little bit, no? Or maybe that's just me).

    "Their endless “No, I’m not falling in love” started to annoy me"
    I feel like most of the times, whenever the characters talk about being in love, or they say they are in love and it's this huge thing--well, that rarely seems well done to me. It often seems like too much telling. We'll believe they're in love even if you don't say it or have them agonize over it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Don't get me wrong, religious aspect aren't a bad thing but I definitely appreciate the warning and could see how it could be too much! Glad to hear the beginning was strong, the last book I finished the beginning was SLOW so it was hard to get through. Great Review :)

    Ashley @ The Quiet Concert

    ReplyDelete
  18. This sounds really interesting- one huge turn off for me, reading your review, is the mention of the Duchess. Ermengard just looks like Ermahgad to me and I don't think that would be a good thing to be reading throughout a story! The fact that Gabe tries desperately not to fall in love with Sophie definitely catches my interest, but I just feel that it could either be done really well or I wouldn't like it at all. I'm on the fence about it, but I think I'll say no because of the Duchess.
    Great review, Mel! I really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0