Review 147. Melissa Marr – Faery Tales & Nightmares.

Faery Tales & NightmaresTitle: Faery Tales & Nightmares.
Author: Melissa Marr.
Pages: 418.
Published: February 21st 2012  by HarperCollins.
Sort: Stand alone, anthology.
Dangerous promises and beguiling threats swirl together in a dozen stories of enchantments dark and light by New York Times bestselling author Melissa Marr. Uncanny and unexpected creatures appear from behind bushes, rise from beneath the seas, or manifest from seasonal storms to pursue the objects of their attention—with amorous or sinister intent—relentlessly. From the gentle tones of a storyteller’s cadences to the terror of a blood sacrifice, tales of favorite characters from Marr’s Wicked Lovely novels mix with accounts of new characters for readers to fall in love with...or to fear. Lush, seductive, and chilling, Melissa Marr’s stories revel in the unseen magic that infuses the world as we know it. Table of Contents: "Where Nightmares Walk" "Winter's Kiss" "Transition" "Love Struck" "Old Habits" "Stopping Time" "The Art of Waiting" "Flesh for Comfort" "The Sleeping Girl and the Summer King" "Cotton Candy Skies" "Unexpected Family" "Merely Mortal"
Rating

Like you might now, I’m not such a fan of anthologies. I prefer long stories where I can bond with characters, so this book surprised me! Marissa did a great job in spinning stories with a fairytale feeling.
Where nightmares walk was strange. It’s only 2 pages long and there is hardly anything to say about it. My expectations dropped down, but I’m happy to say that Winter’s kiss made me excited again. It’s a fairytale about a girl whose breathe freezes everything around her. She can’t find her place in this world, until she is visited by an ice bear. This meeting is about to change her life. This was one of my favorite stories. 

Transition is a vampire story and it was a bit strange. It gave me a “meh” feeling. Love struck was great on the other hand. It’s about a Selkie boy called Murrin who is trying to win the love of his true match Alana.
Old habits, Cotton Candy Skies, Stopping time and Unexpected family were hard to follow. These stories belong to the Wicked Lovely series and I couldn’t understand it. I will return to this anthology after reading the series. The art of waiting was interesting, you have to see it for yourself. Flesh for comfort was bizarre, in a good way! It gave me the creeps. The sleeping girl and the Summer king was my other favorite story. It’s about a girl who gets to choose; living forever with the Summer King or ruling the Winter. Fairytale feeling! Merely Mortal was sweet, about the love between the Winter queen and a fairy who became mortal after saving her life.

This book was definitely enjoyable and I think I’m going to take a look at her series. Her writing-style was pleasant enough.
Pooh 2

38 comments

  1. I read one of her books, Graveminder. Which was okay ;) I haven't read her Faery series, which I heard some enthusiastic things about! For some reason, anthologies don't really do it for me... but this one sounds very sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me neither, but I'm still trying to find a good one :p and I always like to see if the authors writing-style work for me.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like this anthology, like most, is a mixed bag. Glad there were some good stories included and that you got a taste for Marr's writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never read this, love the cover:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not very big on short stories either, there just isn't enough to connect to let alone write a review about. One that is only 2 pages? Holy crow! It's too bad some of them were a bit hard to follow without having read the Wicked Lovely series. Great review, Mel, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to return to them once I get to read Wicked Lovely :)

      Delete
  5. I love the cover..interested in the stories..might need to check this one out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should see if you can get a copy from a library :)

      Delete
  6. I don't do many anthologies, but does seem a nice way to get a taste of author's style.

    Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not a fan of anthologies either. I mean.. novellas and short stories just usually aren't my cup of tea. I was surprised that I liked If I Stay so much which I read about two days ago. It was so short but I really, really loved it. Anyway, as for your review, a two page story? Wth? LOL. Winter’s Kiss seems like my cup of tea and this I may actually invest my time in. The Sleeping Girl and the Summer King seems like something from her Wicked Lovely series. I liked the first book, but for some reason it was a DNF for me for now. I'll give it a try again someday. Thanks for sharing, Mel! I hope you'll have better luck with Marr's other work:)

    Siiri @ Little Pieces of Imagination

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Novellas and short stories aren't my favorite thing either, but it's a great way to meet new authors :)

      Delete
  8. I'm not a fa of anthologies either and in fact, if I don't have a very good reason to pick them up, I just end up skipping them entirely. I'll probably do just that with this one too, but there is a story or two that sounds appealing, like The Sleeping Girl and the Summer King.
    Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not a fan of anthologies (and poems, in general) either, but it's great that you liked this one overall, Mel, even if some of the stories didn't make much sense. I haven't read any of Melissa Marr's books, but I'm hoping to, so it's encouraging to hear that her writing style is pleasant! Lovely review :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved her Wicked Lovely book (didn't read the rest of the series, though), but I reeeally don't like short stories. But since it's Marr...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will like this one if you liked her Wicked Lovely book!

      Delete
  11. I hadn't heard of this author/book before but this looks pretty interesting! And the cover is so cool! I might get this one on my Kindle soon! Nice review, Mel! : )

    ReplyDelete
  12. I dind't know these were part of the Wicked Lovely world. I did read book 1 and 2 of Wicked Lovely and while I liked the first, the sequel was a DNF for me it was so much different. They're more like companions too I think. Anyways, too bad this wasn't better but maybe you'd get it more if you read the series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I've read mixed reviews about this series, but I'll see. So far, I'm too busy reading other books.

      Delete
  13. I haven't read anything by Melissa Marr. I do have Wicked Lovely from the library right now, but I just don't know if I will get to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do, so I can read your review! ;)

      Delete
  14. I really enjoyed the Wicked Lovely series, and I had always meant to pick this up to get more of that world; it's nice to hear that you enjoyed it, despite not having read those books!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I read this earlier last year but I agree with you. I love how we meet characters from Wicked Lovely series and I'm glad that you enjoyed the book!

    Awesome review, Mel ♥

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like short story collections every once and a while, like The Curiosities with Brenna Yovanoff, Tessa Gratton & Maggie Stiefvater. I didn't know Melissa Marr wrote an anthologies though. It sounds interesting. I'll have to put it on my TBR list.

    Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. On the wishlist! I love Melissa Marr, one of my favourite authors. I still need to read the last two books in the Wicked Lovely series, but before I do that..I'm going to reread the other books. The series is awesome, def. check them out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I haven't read very many anthologies before and heard of this a few months after I first started blogging, I think when it was just coming out- I have been on and off intrigued by it and then decided I wouldn't read it because it would probably make me uncomfortable, I thought it was more horror centric, but this sounds really good! I'm certainly going to try it out! Awesome review, Mel, I'm only sorry you didn't like it more.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great review, sweetie :D Thank you for being honest about your feelings for this book. <3 I would only read one of the stories in this book, based on your review. Winter’s Kiss sounds awesome ;D But that's about it, lol (A) Still. Glad you kind of enjoyed this :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ehh - I haven't read any of her books. I love anthologies but hmm wouldn't pick this up unless I finally decide to read Wicked Lovely.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible.