Friday, April 19, 2013 14:27

Review 150. J.M Barrie – Peter Pan.

Peter PanTitle: Peter Pan.
Author: J.M Barrie.
Pages: 185.
Published: January 1st 1995.
Publisher: Penguin Books.
Sort: Stand alone.
Source: Gutenberg.org
The boy who refuses to grow up teaches Wendy and her younger brothers how to fly. Then it's off to magical Neverland for adventures with mermaids, Indians, and wicked Captain Hook and his pirate crew.

It was Friday night. Mr and Mrs Darling were dining out. Nana had been tied up in the backyard. The poor dog was barking, for she could smell danger. And she was right - this was the night that Peter Pan would take the Darling children on the most breath-taking adventure of their lives, to a place called Neverland, a strange country where the lost boys live and never grow up, a land with mermaids, fairies and pirates - and of course the terrible, evil, Captain Hook.
Rating:
3 stars
I’m almost ashamed to admit that I’ve never read Peter Pan before. I like the Disney movie version and I absolutely love the retelling from Jodi Lynn Anderson called Tiger Lily. So it was about time to read this one! This is one of the classics I had on my list for this year.

I think everybody knows the story of the famous Peter Pan. I always liked the part where he loses his shadow – and how he is trying to stick it back to his body. This is his first meeting with Wendy. He takes the Darling children to his country Neverland, where he lives with his lost boys. Peter Pan is doomed to live forever (he doesn’t agree with me, though. Peter doesn’t want to grow up) Wendy soon becomes their mother and the three children are slowly starting to forget about their own parents. They have a lot of adventures, of course with Captain Hook. He hates Peter after the boy took his hand and he is always on the run for the ticking crocodile.

I actually didn’t like Peter. He was a strange character. Always boosting about things that never happened or he completely forgets about his new adventures. He can be very unkind. The ending surprised me and I feel sad for him; I don’t think he has any idea what he is actually missing.. Wendy was nice (although I hated her in Tiger Lily) and I like how she is acting as a mother. The lost boys were fun and I love Hook. It’s funny how jealous Tinkerbell is and she has a quite nasty temper. I completely forgot about her mean nature, because she has such a sweet spirit in her own Disney movies.

This book was definitely one I had to read, but I don’t think I’m going to re-read it. It was just okay and interesting for one time.

author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

28 comments:

  1. I read this in February and I definitely had mixed feelings on it. I was really surprised how Peter could only feel things for really short periods of time. It made me sad that he could forget his whole life. He was almost the same as Hook in that he ruled the Lost Boys so harshly and thought nothing of killing. I didn't like how Wendy automatically became the mother just because she's the girl. I know it was written in the early 1900's, but it just irked me that she had no other role. I also thought Tigerlily was going to have a bigger part :( And Tinkerbell!! I had no idea she was so foul!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I never thought it that way.. It is a bit of stereotype indeed.

      Delete
  2. I just read this as well. I agree about not liking how Wendy was treated because she was a woman. She was supposed to cook and all that jazz. Here is my Project Disney about this if you want to read it:

    http://angelasanxiouslife.blogspot.com/2013/03/project-disney-peter-pan.html

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never read the book either, but I love love love the movie. (Though I admit, when I was younger, I really hated Wendy and loved Tinkerbell :D). But if most of the characters are so unlikable, I don't think I'll read this. But you did stir my interest about Tiger Lily (just read your review) and I'm thinking about reading it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I'll ever read the classic version, because I think i'll be bothered by it to. Though I definitely want to pick up Tiger Lily! Great review, Mel!
    - Farah @ MajiBookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  5. To be honest, I've never been a fan of Peter Pan. Cue gasps! I watched the movie eons ago, so I can't remember much, but I remember it being pretty good. It's strange that you didn't like Peter in the book, but based on your description on him, I don't think I would either. I'm glad that the Lost Boys and Captain Hook were mostly the same though. And Tinkerbell! I'd forgotten how jealous she could get, haha.

    I don't think I'll be giving this book a go, too, because to be frank, it's not in my preferred genre. Glad that it was pretty good overall, and thanks for such a helpful review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I'm happy I read the free version (from Gutenberg.org)

      Delete
  6. I tend to stray away from classics, they intimidate with their...classicness. I have always loved Peter Pan as well. I prefer Disney and modern adaptations, like you mentioned. I find that Disney really romanticized some of these fairy-tales-and for good reason! Have you heard of the real version of Little Red? Creepy. Thanks for your honesty in this one, I will be passing on reading it.

    Alise @ Readers In Wonderland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! Some of these stories are not fit for children, so I'm happy Disney made hem more appropriate. And to be honest, I think I prefer most of the adaptations and retellings :p Classics can be intimidating indeed.

      Delete
  7. I got this in a boxset of classic Penguin books, and now I'm super tempted to crack it open! Peter Pan was my favorite movie growing up, so I'd be interested to see what I think of the book. I always though Peter's story was so sad.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't read this. I think I tried to but I didn't even get halfway. I liked the Disney movies, too, but I know the novel is really quite different.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just finished this one today! I really liked it and how it had a slightly darker tone. I think Peter is supposed to be kind of annoying. I think he represents all the bad as well as the good of childhood. I thought Tinker Bell and her jealousy were quite fun :) I felt sad for Peter at the end, too. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to take a look at your review! :D

      Delete
  10. I remember how surprised I was when I first read the original version! I didn't really like Peter either, but I thought it was interesting how Barrie showed how dedicated Tinker Bell was to Peter.

    Alice @ Alice in Readerland

    ReplyDelete
  11. Peter Pan has always kind of freaked me out. I never really cared for the original story. Looks like you had issues with this version but it was still an okay read for you, Mel. Wonderful review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I need to read this too. I'm surprised with how different Peter Pan sounds. I'm not sure I would have liked him either. I'm hoping to give this book a try soon though, because I loved Tiger Lily (the book) too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I didn't like the book nearly as much as the Disney films, and that doesn't happen very often! Admittedly, I've never actually read this myself, I had it read to me, but that counts, right? ;) I agree that it's probably just a one-time-read sort of book.

    Great review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so interesting! I have never read this one either. I'm not a huge fan of the Disney movie, but I have always been intrigued by the story. I'm definitely curious to see what I think of this one, though. I should check it out! And ALSO, I will be reading Tiger Lily soon :) It's taken me long enough ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I want to re-read this soon! I read it in 2008 or 2009 for the first time and certainly felt let down by it, though it's an incredible masterpiece- imagine if it hadn't been written?- and I was horrified by the scalping scene. That was terrible!
    So even though it wasn't for me, either, I do really love the world and the fairytale-ness of it.
    Excellent review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great review :D I'm not sure if I will ever read this book. Maybe when I get older. Although I do love the disney movie very much. <3 I'm sorry that you didn't like Peter, though :( that is depressing, so I'm not sure I will read it at all, hih :D but glad you enjoyed Wendy :) Thank you for sharing. <3

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0