Friday, April 26, 2013 15:41

Review 152. Emily McKay – The farm.

The Farm (The Farm, #1)Title: The Farm.
Author: Emily McKay.
Pages: 420.
Published: December 4th 2012.
Publisher: Berkley Trade.
Sort: Part 1 of ‘The Farm
Life was different in the Before: before vampires began devouring humans in a swarm across America; before the surviving young people were rounded up and quarantined. These days, we know what those quarantines are—holding pens where human blood is turned into more food for the unread monsters, known as Ticks. Surrounded by electrical fences, most kids try to survive the Farms by turning on each other… And when trust is a thing of the past, escape is nearly impossible. Lily and her twin sister Mel have a plan. Though Mel can barely communicate, her autism helps her notice things no one else notices—like the portion of electrical fence that gets turned off every night. Getting across won’t be easy, but as Lily gathers what they need to escape, a familiar face appears out of nowhere, offering to help… Carter was a schoolmate of Lily’s in the Before. Managing to evade capture until now, he has valuable knowledge of the outside world. But like everyone on the Farm, Carter has his own agenda, and he knows that behind the Ticks is an even more dangerous threat to the human race...
Rating:

This book surprised me. There are still original vampire stories! I liked this approach of the zombie-like bloodsuckers. The characters were a bit questionable, but the dark world-building made up for it.


Lily and her autistic twin sister Mel try to survive on one of the Farms, surrounded buildings to protect them from the Ticks, but they are used as kettle for their blood. These Ticks are humans infected with a virus, turning them into a mix of a zombie and a vampire. When Lily and Mel try to escape, a familiar face stops them. Carter is her high school crush from the Before and he tries to rescue young people together with vampire Stephen. He has saved a lot of people and they are save in a rebel camp, but he doesn’t tell why she (Lily) is so special to them.

I had a slow start, but once I reached a certain point I couldn’t put it down. There was something about this world-building that fascinated me. The world is dark and grim; humans are used for their blood and some of them are offered to the Ticks to keep them away from the fence. When Stephen and Carter take Mel, Lily and two other young ones away, it’s the start of a suspenseful trip. My heart went a bit faster in some scary situations and the Ticks are terrifying.

Lily isn’t the best MC. She is sometimes a bit too whiny and selfish. She treats Mel more like a heavy burden, but I like her for the fact that she changed that soon. You could definitely see that the girls love each other, despite Mel’s autistic behaviour. The thing that annoyed me the most is her stubbornness. I do like it when a MC thinks for herself, but she had to discuss EVERYTHING. Even Stephen, who is supposed to be a two thousand year old vampire, can’t talk any sense into this girl. I wish he sometimes showed her his power and intelligence instead of bowing to her will.

“We go left.”
”Why? I want to go right.”
-

“It’s not save.”
”I’m going to do it anyway.”

etc.

ARG!

I like the idea of a human weapon against the Ticks and the fact that someone is the ‘mastermind’ behind the whole destroyed world. I can’t wait to see how this is going to work out in part two, The lair, where Mel is going to be the MC. I recommend that you don’t read the blurb from The lair, because it’s spoils the ending of this book. And let me tell you, I did not see it coming. It shocked me.
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

32 comments:

  1. The slow start would prob do me in, but I am intrigued by the originality and the autistic sister

    ReplyDelete
  2. I skipped to end of this book because I got tired of "I must protect my sister," and "she's all I have." The ending was good, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This actually sounds like a really cool book! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Farm sounded pretty interesting when I first heard about it, but your review made me think more on whether this was worth getting or not. Lily does sound quite infuriating, and I'm the kind of person who needs to like (or at least understand) an annoying MC if I'm to enjoy a book. Eh. Will think about this further!

    Lovely review, Mel. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, I'm not sure if this is the book for you Megan!

      Delete
  5. I love when I'm completely surprised by the ending, so thanks for the tip about The Lair! I'm glad you enjoyed this one, despite the sometimes whiney and stubborn MC!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. I like to be surprised too! :)

      Delete
  6. Glad to see you mostly enjoyed this, Mel. I think it sounds a bit frightening. Definitely not the sparkly vampire sort of story! Great review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good to see you liking this overall despite the slow start, Melanie! I have been rather reluctant about picking this up as this is... well a vampire novel. I'll take your word when you say it's original >.<

    Stunning review <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been debating whether to read this. Zombies and scary vampires are usually not for me, though there are always exceptions to that rule (like This is Not a Test and Immortal Rules)
    Great review!

    You can find me here: Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this is like The immortal rules :)

      Delete
  9. I have to say that I love that there is a Mel in this book-I'm always happy to see my own name in books and I'm happy to see yours in this one. Not sure this is the read for me but I'm glad to know more about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that was so much fun! Despite the fact that she is completely the opposite of me.

      Delete
  10. This sounds good, I like books that are a bit darker, and the fact that once it got started you really enjoyed it is great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll like this for sure! :) A lot of darkness here.

      Delete
  11. I borrowed a copy from a friend. I agree! it's slow and dark. It has potential though. Lovely review :D

    -Dannielle

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad the pace of the book got better as you read on, because i just cannot stand slow paced books! The world building is something I'd want to read about! Great review!
    - Farah @ MajiBookshelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind slow paced books, but fast paced works much better in this story.

      Delete
  13. I've had this one on my TBR since I first heard about it. Glad to know of the slow start...that would have had my quitting for sure. Not as excited about this one as I was before I read your review but I might still give it a try since it ended up being good at the end. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it if you give it a shot :)

      Delete
  14. I've seen this one around some, and it has sorta sparked my interest. I'm not sure how I'd feel about the MC - she seems like she might get on my nerves. But the actual story sounds interesting, so I may have to give it a chance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found the story interesting enough to overlook the MC :)

      Delete
  15. I loved being shocked by an ending! It doesn't happen often these days, which only makes me appreciate it even more when it does. I'm glad you liked this one overall, despite some problems. It's already on my list. Now it's just a question of when I can squeeze it in. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really liked this one..I agree that Lily is not the nicest main character..the ending is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great review sweetie :D I'm glad you enjoyed this book, even though it annoyed you at times. I must admit that I don't want to read this book at all (A) but it does sound interesting :D Thank you for sharing your thoughts. <3 Hope you will enjoy the sequel more :) Glad you liked the world building, though ;p

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ugh I'm still torn on this. My thought process while reading your review went from Oo maybe I will like this after all (given the world building and suspense) to Ehh maybe not so much (regarding the main character) hah. I really don't think I will like Lily. Thanks for sharing!! I'll probably pass on this one, or wait to see how the second book turns out.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0