Tuesday, May 14, 2013 18:02

Review 157. Dan Wells – Fragments.

Title: Fragments.
Author: Dan Wells.
Pages: 564.
Published: February 26th 2013 by Balzer + Bray.
Sort: Part two of ‘Partials Sequence.’
Review 1: Partials.
Kira Walker has found the cure for RM, but the battle for the survival of humans and Partials is just beginning. Kira has left East Meadow in a desperate search for clues to who she is. That the Partials themselves hold the cure for RM in their blood cannot be a coincidence--it must be part of a larger plan, a plan that involves Kira, a plan that could save both races. Her companions are Afa Demoux, an unhinged drifter and former employee of ParaGen, and Samm and Heron, the Partials who betrayed her and saved her life, the only ones who know her secret. But can she trust them? Meanwhile, back on Long Island, what's left of humanity is gearing up for war with the Partials, and Marcus knows his only hope is to delay them until Kira returns. But Kira's journey will take her deep into the overgrown wasteland of post apocalyptic America, and Kira and Marcus both will discover that their greatest enemy may be one they didn't even know existed.
Rating:

I was excited about this book. I liked Partials a lot, especially the medical background of the RM virus. This book was just.. nothing like that. There are spoilers in the summary part if you haven’t read Partials, but you can read the spoiler-free review where I talk about my likes and dislikes.


The story is told from two different angles. First, we have Kira. She is looking for answers after she found out that she is a special Partials. She meets Afa on her quest. He used to work for ParaGen, but years of being alone has taken his toll. Afa is confused and highly unstable, but Kira needs him. Together with Samm and Heron, Kira embarks on a dangerous journey to find answers to save both races.

The other part is about Marcus, her some sort of boyfriend. When the Partials attack, he manages to escape. The Partials are hunting down Kira, because their doctor wants to examine her for answers to their expiration date. Marcus is trying to find a way to stop the Partials and that is when he finds out about the huge secret around Kira and her sisters.

I still can’t believe I managed to finish this book, because I hard a hard time. The story starts good and I liked the two different POV’s. I never felt anything for Marcus, but his side of the story was interesting. We get to see the chaos after the Partials attack and the sick determination of doctor Morgan to find an answer to their expiration date.

Putting the pieces of the puzzle together with him and Kira was fun. We finally get answers about Kira and the background about the Partials was well-done. There were still too many things that bugged me. I still can’t understand how one man can come up with things like energy, while a complete city isn’t able to fix it. This was difficult to understand and it left a hole in the plot for me.

Kira is throwing herself, Afa and two Partials in extremely dangerous situations because she is determined to find answers. People are killed because of her and I found her irresponsible, hypocritical, ignorant and annoying. She is whiny and so different from the first book, where I admired her strength and intelligence. Heron was the only character I liked, because she isn’t afraid to say things out loud and I loved her confidence. 
“They’re there,” Kira said again.
“But what if they’re not?”
“Then we keep going!” Kira shouted. “Because they’re out there somewhere, I know it.”
”You don’t know anything! It’s just what your desperate, messed-up psyche wants to believe.” (Heron)
The pacing was perhaps the most troublesome aspect. It. was. slow. I could have skipped the middle part of this book without any problems. Nothing really happens and I was bored! I will read Ruins, because the overall concept and writing-style are good.
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

25 comments:

  1. A slow pace can work for some books pretty well, but when it leads to boredom, that's never a good thing. It sounds like Kira's actions are a little frustrating in this one too. I couldn't get through the first book in the end, so I don't think I'll ever pick this up. Sorry it didn't do it for you, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree that the pacing was extremely off and the book was very slow. I really liked this, but it totally could have lost maybe 150 pages without it having much of an impact on the story.

    Sorry you were disappointed! But hopefully the next book will get your attention back--I'm hoping it's edited for length, too. I can't imagine if it was even longer than this one, hah.

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I hope that the last book looks more like Partials :)!

      Delete
  3. Bummer! I usually have a difficult time with middle books in a series (will this have a third) because they tend to be the buildup to the final book. I haven't read the first book, and might hold off until I see how people like the end of the series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that is one of the problems I tend to have with middle books too. Such a bummer :(

      Delete
  4. I did like Fragments, but really the pace was really slow and there was that huge gap in the middle when nothing happened. And then at the end there was so much that suddenly happened. Although I agree that Kira was a bit whiny and selfish, I also didn't like Heron. Sometimes it is better to continue when you've come so far already, if they turned back after everything that happened it would be strange too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But, sometimes it's better to accept your defeat :p

      Delete
  5. Aw, booo. So sorry to hear this one was such a letdown and was slow compared to the first book. I haven't actually read Partials yet, but I can't say I'm too interested if the sequel didn't work out, which is a shame. Ah well, thanks for this helpful review, Mel!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's almost possible to read Partials, skip this one and read the last one, because.. nothing happens, actually.

      Delete
  6. Oh bummer, sorry to hear this sequel was such a struggle to get through Mel :( Especially after you enjoyed Partials! I still haven't gotten into this series myself, and honestly from the reviews I've read of Fragments- I might not even bother at all. Loved reading your review though, thanks for your honesty & insight!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww, I'm sorry that this one just wasn't as good, Mel. It sounds like it sucked, which sucks for me..I haven't read it yet, and Partials was SO GOOD. Kira sounds so whiny, even in that quote. o.O Awesome review, Mel! Thanks for your honesty. (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome :) You might like it more than I did!

      Delete
  8. I've been reading to read Partials for awhile now, but after reading this maybe I'll hold off for awhile. I don't like slow books. Sounds like this has second book syndrome =/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nooooo! ):
    I was so looking forward towards reading Fragments, but yeah, I can totally see the pacing problem with a book as huge as Fragments.
    And ugh, Kira changes? So not looking forward to reading about that. D:
    Great review Mel! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's too bad this book didn't live up to your expectations. I'm always really disappointed when I come across a sequel that wasn't as great as the first book. Pacing problems would really hinder my enjoyment. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG this is a huge bummer! I honestly haven't read that many reviews of Fragments, but the ones that I have read all raved about it and said it was maybe even better than Partials. I was honestly SHOCKED when I saw your rating! I haven't read it yet myself, but everything you mentioned makes sense and is disappointing.. the slowness, and nothing happening, and how you could have actually skipped big chunks. Ugh, what a bummer. Partials was one of my 2012 faves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I've read some positive reviews, so I was extra excited. Imagine my disappointment..

      Delete
  12. Well this sucks A LOT. I have Partials on my shelf and just bought Fragments online so I could read them back to back. I've heard several great things about Patrials so it's a shame to see the sequel disappoint so much.

    Lovely review though, Mel! <33

    ReplyDelete
  13. Slow pace is the worst, sorry it didn't wow you :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great review sweetie. <3 Thank you for being honest. I will not read this sequel. I mostly enjoyed the first book, but not that much. Found it to be slow (A) and I didn't really feel anything for the characters, but unlike you I actually liked Marcus. Hih. Which is why I'm upset with this sequel that I haven't read, because I peeked at ending. Stupid triangle shit. Sigh. Anyway. You are awesome for being able to read this book, despite all the troubles it had :) I hate it when books are slow. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, if the first one was slow, this one would be a disaster for you :p

      Delete
  15. Groan! I hate slow! I've heard such good things too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I had to read your review after your comment, and I am so sorry this felt slow to you, I never felt that and totally agree about Marcus as far as the romance, I did like his thread and the growth we saw in him as a character.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0