Monday, May 20, 2013 14:30

Review 159. Rae Carson – The crown of Embers.

Title: The crown of Embers.
Author: Rae Carson.
Pages: 410.
Published: September 18th 2012.
Publisher: Greenwillow Books.
Sort: Part two of ‘Fire and Thorns.’
Part 1: The girl of fire and thorns.
Part 0.5: The shadow cats.
Elisa is the hero of her country. She led her people to victory against a terrifying enemy, and now she is their queen. But she is only seventeen years old. Her rivals may have simply retreated, choosing stealth over battle. And no one within her court trusts her-except Hector, the commander of the royal guard, and her companions. As the country begins to crumble beneath her and her enemies emerge from the shadows, Elisa will take another journey. With a one-eyed warrior, a loyal friend, an enemy defector, and the man she is falling in love with, Elisa crosses the ocean in search of the perilous, uncharted, and mythical source of the Godstone's power. That is not all she finds.
Rating:

There is something magical about Carson’s writing-style. I absolutely loved The girl of fire and thorns and I also liked The shadow cats, so I had high expectations for this book. And boy, did it deliver! From the moment I started to read this book, I was hooked. There is something about Carson’s world-building and characters that works for me. From now on, I will buy everything Rae Carson writes, because I’m in love with her writing-style. This review contains no spoilers for The girl of fire and thorns.

Elisa is the hero after her victory against their enemy, but she is having a hard time ruling her country. She is seventeen years old and there are many spies and traitors in her own court. The only one she can truly trust are her maid Mara, her old nurse Ximena, her personal guard Hector and his royal guard. They are not enough to protect her from an assassin and Elisa is frightened for the lives of her friends. The fact that she cares so much about other people instead of herself is fantastic. I admire her strength and intelligence, especially for someone so young. I never had the idea I was reading a story about a teenager; she could have been my age without any problem. I just love Elisa and her flaws.

The appearance of an animagus brought many fear amongst the people and she must show them that she is strong enough to protect them: she is forced to find a new husband. When she meets Storm, an Invierne who is hiding away under her city, she learns about something called zafirna. This is the place where you can access the magic right away, instead of drawing it out of the ground. I really liked Storm. He is sarcastic and never afraid to speak his mind. He is difficult to read and that made him interesting. Elisa decides to travel to find the zafirna, but she is about to lose the one thing she loves the most: Hector.

I really liked the pace. It was very consistent and it made me fly through the pages. The story is building up and the ending delivers. I suppose you could call it a closed cliff-hanger. It makes me anxious for part three, but it doesn’t leave me with a bitter taste. It was the perfect ending for this story, which was filled with tense situations and action.

There is also some romance and it was fun to see Elisa and Hector dance around each other. I definitely understand where her feelings come from. Hector is adorable! He is loyal and he tries so hard to hide his true feelings. There are also many other fascinating characters in this story. There is Mara, who helps Elisa to feel like a normal girl now and then and Tristan, a sweetheart with a secret. Carson knows how to create amazing characters with own distinct voices.

I’m impatiently waiting to continue this story!
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

38 comments:

  1. Eeeee! It's not every day I get to see you going out 5 stars. I've
    Been thinking about reading this series for a log time but have never gotten around to it- I many try soon as my review copy stack has lessened a little.

    Good to see you liking the romance and all!

    Stunning review, Mel! <33

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, and it got a 5+ so it's even more special :D

      Delete
  2. I read the Girl of Fire and Thorns but I didn't love it as much as you did :( I'm not sure whether or not I'll continue in this series though..

    -Ariella @ Secrets of Lost Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awh, that's a shame! But it happens, I've seen some other people who disliked the first book.

      Delete
  3. Haven't read anything by her yet. Will have to change that soon based on your love of her writing ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hm. Haven't heard of this book or the author. Doesn't really sound like my typical read, but I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to read this one, I enjoyed the first book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The writing style sounds fabulous and I can't wait to have time to start

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aiieee, whenever I see a review for this series, I always kick myself mentally because I mean, how could I not have read this yet?! I know I would love it as much as you do, especially the world building and Elisa. I have got to make time to start this series! This was a fantastic review, Mel.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I still have to read The Girl of Fire and Thorns, but I think I'll definitely be bumping it up my TBR. The pace and romance both sound great :) Amazing review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *bump bump bump* Read it soon if you have the chance!

      Delete
  9. This sounds like an amazing book. I haven't heard of this author before but thanks to your enthousiasm over her work I definately plan to read some of her books.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not supposed to be reading this because I haven't read book one yet but I was SUPER curious. I've been looking for a good YA high fantasy to satisfy my craving and I think this is 'the' series for me. :) Thanks for the review!

    Precious Fragments of Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've made sure that there are no spoilers for part 1 :)

      Delete
  11. These covers in this series! Gah! I love them so hard. So happy to see that this one was so awesome for you. I really need to read the first in the series and see what all the hubbub is about. Fabulous review!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The romance sounds very interesting and just the kind I like! I'm just getting ready to read the first book and I'm very much looking forward to it.
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh, awesome! I can't wait to hear what you think :)

      Delete
  13. This book sounds absolutely amazing! I love the great world building and it's always so amazing to find an author with a good writing style. I haven't really heard much about this series but whenever I'm in the mood, I'll definitely be picking this up! Very nice review, Mel! : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is. It always makes me happy when I find a new favorite author.

      Delete
  14. This is one of my favorite fantasy series EVAR! And I agree, the pacing and the writing in these books keep me coming back for more. Carson is definitely on my auto-buy list. :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must say, this series is also high on my list of favorite fantasy series.

      Delete
  15. I haven't read this series yet but I do have the first book here collecting dust on my shelves! Poor thing! lol. Glad to hear the sequel is good though it's always scary to see if the series can hold on for its fans and I might eventually give it a try! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I loved the first book in this series, but haven't gotten around to continuing it yet. After seeing how much you enjoyed this one, I really need to make it more of a priority! I'm sure I'll love it too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you loved the first one, I know for sure that you'll love this one too.

      Delete
  17. I'm reading this one right now, and you're spot on with Carson's writing style and the pacing. Everything that captivated me in the first book is back in force here. I love it when a sequel is just as good (or better) than the first book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. Nothing is more disappointing than a mediocre second book.

      Delete
  18. I actually was annoyed with the pacing-I found the beginning kind of slow and dull but the ending drew me back in and has me returning for book 3.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh really? Funny! I always like to see different opinions.

      Delete
  19. So I know I didn't find the first book quite as amazing but I still plan to continue with the series. I keep hearing good things about the second book. I am glad to hear you loved this one, although I am not surprised ;). I know I had my ups and downs with Elisa. I hope I see more of her strength in this book. Another great review Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I never read this series! But your review does give me enough reasons to pick this one up ASAP. I don't even know why I haven't read this one yet since I've seen so many reviews around the blogosphere.
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0