Friday, May 24, 2013 14:48

Review 160. Marie Lu – Legend.

Title: Legend.
Author:  Marie Lu.
Pages: 305.
Published: November 29th 2011.
Publisher: Putnam Juvenile.
Sort: Part one of ‘Legend’
What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbours. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic’s wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic’s highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country’s most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem. From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths—until the day June’s brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family’s survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias’s death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.
Rating:

What a great read! I was sucked into the lives of June and Day, two complete opposite characters. There is mystery, a little touch of romance, friendship and action. I can see why everybody is so excited about this book and I want to thank you all for the recommendations to read it in my Bout of Books post.

The story is written in dual POV and it works great. It gives us insight in the decisions our two MC’s make. I was happy with the plague aspect. I’m always fascinated by diseases and their effect on humans. It’s a shame that we only got to see the surface of the problem, but we might get more information in Prodigy.

First off, we start with Day. He is the most wanted criminal, but there is one problem: nobody knows his identity or his looks. When he breaks into a hospital to steal medicine for his family, he makes a huge mistakes. He becomes the prime suspect in the murder of Metias. June’s parents died when she was young and her brother Metias has been there for her. She is the prodigy of he country: the only one who ever scored the highest amount of points in the Trial. Twice. She is now trying to seek avenge for Metias’ death and she blends in on the street for information. When she is wounded in a fight, a boy and girl take her under their wings. Until June discovers that the boy is in fact Day.

One of the strongest points of this book has to be the characters. I felt connected to both June and Day and I loved to see the reasons behind their actions. Day is loyal to his family and he has a big heart. He is brave for his age and he is very clever. June is awesome. It was great to see the world through her eyes. She is always observing, but it was fun to see that she is also flawed. She isn’t a perfect wonder human because of her high IQ: she is still a young girl who recently lost her last family member. They start to develop feelings for each other and this was subtle and sweet. That is when the first seeds of doubt are planted in June’s mind and I admire her for her independence. She isn’t going to follow her boss blindly, but she is going to research Day until she finds the truth.

There is also a mystery surrounding the Trial, the plague and Metias’ murder. Piece by piece, we get to unravel what is really going on. It was interesting to see why Day became a ‘criminal’ and what the government really does to children who fail for the Trial test. This plot was interesting and with the good pace, I flew through he pages.

The only reason this book isn’t a 5 flower book is the lack of background information. It was a bit difficult to understand this world. I want to now how it all started and why they are in war with their neighbours.
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

49 comments:

  1. Legend has been on my TBR list for awhile now. I even picked up a copy for a couple bucks at a warehouse sale, but still haven't gotten to it. I've heard such great things, though, so I should really make the time.

    So glad that you really liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Glad you liked it :D Heard a lot of mixed reviews and I've got Legend and Prodigy on my TBR pile so I am slightly reluctant to start it when I ever get to reading my TBR pile but you've convinced me to be a little more motivated haha.

    That's fantastic how the characters were one of the strongest points of the story and that they were flawed. There's nothing worse than a bunch of 'perfect' characters :( Yay mystery!

    Thanks for the great review Mel! Looking forward to reading Legend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfection is so annoying! I'm happy I got you a little more motivated :)

      Delete
  3. I agree with you about there not being enough background information. This world is so interesting it's frustrating not to know more about how it came to be. I can't wait to read the sequal. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, this book would have been perfect with more information.

      Delete
  4. Yay, I'm so glad you enjoyed it! I definitely think that this could have done with more info about the world. There is a bit more that is explored in Prodigy though, so all is not lost.

    Prodigy is AWESOME. I'm not sure if it's because I read Legend a year ago, but I enjoyed Prodigy so much more. Or I think I did XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, that is good, I'm hungry for information. I can't wait to get started in Prodigy. Soon! :D

      Delete
  5. I loved Legend too! The dual POV worked so well in this one, I loved the different font. Day is such a relatable person, my heart broke for him, especially that scene with June and his mom. Ugh, that part killed me and I kinda hated June after that, but she did help him in the end. Still, I feel so bad for Day, I just want to hug him. Prodigy was good as well, you'll know more about the background in that one. I hope you love it! Great review, Mel :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You enjoyed this a lot better than I did, that's for sure! I liked the characters, but I don't remember feeling as connected to them, and I agree that there wasn't enough information or world building. That's probably why I didn't like it as much. Glad this worked out for you, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always like to see different opinions :D It's a shame you couldn't connect to them as much as I did.

      Delete
  7. Hope you enjoy Prodigy -- perfect timing as the third book comes out toward the end of the year!

    You can find me here: Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is one of the good things when you wait a long time.

      Delete
  8. I'm also curious to know more background info. But, this book was still pretty fantastic! The characters were excellent, as was the pacing.

    Great review! Glad you enjoyed LEGEND :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yesss. I'm so so glad you finally read Legend :D Hih. And that you loved it. <3 Oh, it was just so amazing. I loved it so much. And ahh. Reading your review makes me want to re-read it for the fourth time (A) Hih. I just loved Day and June so much :) I understand what you mean about the world building. I'm so curious about it :) I didn't have any problem with not knowing, though, but I do understand why you had :) Thank you for sharing your amazing review sweetie. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 4 times! Haha, I can see you really like it then :p

      Delete
  10. LOVED this book and while I had nothing in common with the characters I felt I could connect to them really well too! And I agree, I would have liked more background on how the country came to be like this. And what they are fighting for or against. Still loved it though. June and Day are just amazing together :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The characters and world building sounds great

    ReplyDelete
  12. yeay! so happy you liked it! I really enjoyed Legend but loved Prodigy even more! it is THAT awesome :D

    I loved the mystery and the unraveling of the info little by little, also the characters were fantastic.

    great review,
    - Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! Now I really can't wait to continue :D

      Delete
  13. This sounds quite interesting! Mystery elements are one of my favourite things in storys. :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I definitely agree with you Mel - the strongest part of the book was the characters. They made the entire book.
    I can't wait to see what you think about Prodigy, I still have to read it myself! :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. I dislike when there isn't good background information, but this looks like it may be worth it anyway. June and Day sound like such fabulous characters! I love when characters have huge hearts, and I'm totally fascinated by dystopian societies! Awesome review, Mel! (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't that bad. I actually though about it when I finished, because I never felt like I missed something during the read. That is - I think - because it's so character driven :)

      Delete
  16. I have this on my TBR list! The dual POV sounds really good, and I love that you connected to the characters, I love it when that happens! :) Great review!

    Alice @ Alice in Readerland

    ReplyDelete
  17. I agree with the lack of information part, but I also agree with these two being a force to be reckoned with part. They were brilliant! I actually found them too brilliant if I remembered that they're the same age that my sister is and LOL genius is hard to be when you're a teenager and it kinda took the rating down for me a little. Still -- packed with action, a touch of love and mystery -- this book was a thrilling read! I'm so so SO glad you liked this, yay :-)

    Siiri @ Little Pieces of Imagination

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might have been better if they were a bit older in age, because they definitely act older.

      Delete
  18. So glad you liked it. I look forward to start this one. It's been on my TBR pile for a really long time!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I agree that the best thing about this book is the characters. I absolutely loved June and Day (I so enjoy when the girl is just as strong if not stronger than a man). But the dystopian world lacked for me, and I was also reading this book with LOADS of hype so I expected it to be the best book in the world ;). I still need to read prodigy, I might borrow Ash's copy. Great review Mel!

    Nicole @ The Quiet Concert

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually didn't want to read this book when I first saw it.. so for me, I guess it was better than expected. Sometimes it's great to listen to other bloggers :p

      Delete
  20. I was going to read Legend some time ago, then I died under a pile of review copies *sigh* I'm glad to see that you enjoyed this one! Despite the background info, Legned sounds breathtaking.

    Amazing review, Melanie! <33

    ReplyDelete
  21. This sounds like a character-driven books and they're always the best ones. I've heard a lot about this book (and I mean a lot) but I haven't read it yet, even though I have it. After so many people have praised the second book, Prodigy, I think I'll need to read it soon. And now I'm curious why Day is the most wanted criminal!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You do get a little more background information in the sequel. The characters also felt stronger in Prodigy, which was partly why I enjoyed it more. I still really liked this one though and I'm glad to see you did too! I can't wait to get your thoughts on the next one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I really need to start this series. There have been so many great reviews for it. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great review Mel! I've been meaning to start this series for awhile, and I'm happy to hear you enjoyed it! Like you, I am always intrigued by books where a plague wipes out the majority of humans. I don't know why, but I guess I like seeing how the survivors act and handle the situation. I hope you like Prodigy! :D

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ooh, great insight! I liked the whole idea of the plot but it was just an okay book for me. Glad that you enjoyed it so much though!

    - Ellie at The Selkie Reads Stories

    ReplyDelete
  26. I really want to read this one!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I really enjoyed the dual narration in this book-oftentimes I end up vastly preferring one narrator but here it was pretty equal with maybe just a teeny bit more for June since she's the girl.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Yay! I'm glad you liked this :) I really liked this book too!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I just finished this book a while ago. I loved it as well. To be honest, though I always expected that villain, so it wasn't a surprise. But I really enjoy the part where *finally!!* Day and June met!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Ahhh! I love this book and series! Aren't Day and June amazing? I hope you are loving Prodigy! :)

    ~Sara @ Forever 17 Books

    ReplyDelete
  31. I remember loving these characters so much! But being a touch disappointed with the background information too. I still haven't picked up Prodigy; I'm trying to get through my current TBR pile! Haha

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'm so glad that you enjoyed Legend the way you did- you've written an excellent review of it and it makes your thoughts very clear. I personally didn't like the book when I read it, or rather tried to, but I know a lot of people really connected with it and I'm glad you were able to.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I agree, LEGEND IS AMAZING. I'm so glad you think so. This book was the bomb, and I really need to dive right into Prodigy as well! Woot. Marie is a fantastic writer. Anyway...Let us both read Prodigy! Yaay!

    <333 Inky

    ReplyDelete
  34. Great review! I just love this series and I can't wait to get my hands on the third one. You must start reading Prodigy, it doesn't disappoint and it totally is as good as this one, maybe even better! This is one of my favorite series and it also has one of the best romances, like ever :). Marie Lu's writing is also really captivating, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. I really liked Legend, but I liked Prodigy even more. So good! I'm looking forward to seeing what you think. :)

    Tressa @ Tressa's Wishful Endings

    ReplyDelete
  36. One of the things that got me most when I was reading this book was the size. I was so surprised about the fact that Marie Lu managed to fit so much information into like, 200-something pages.
    I liked reading your review.
    :)
    Basma @ My Bookish Thoughts

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0