Saturday, June 15, 2013 19:04

Fairytale News | Review Kobo Glo.



'Mel on reading' is a little feature I created as part of my Fairytale news. It's my way to show my thoughts on topics that go from pet peeves in reading to my favorite things in books.

Hello there guys! First: sad but true, my hiatus is going to take a little longer. One week and I'm completely done with most of my homework. Next week is busier than I expected it to be, so I'm going to take all the time I need to complete everything before I can enjoy my vacation. I hope to do a huge showcase next week, with a package from HarperCollins and some books I won in giveaways.

Second: you may have seen the birthday haul I posted a while ago, where I got a new e-reader from my amazing parents. The Kobo Glo. I love this device! This thing is nothing compared to my old e-reader (Archos 70B). This is the first time I’m reviewing something else than books, so bear with me!


P6123885Unpacking experience.When my Kobo arrived, I ripped the package open and I was stunned by the small and light device. The USB-cable is hidden in a compartment under the Kobo. There is a small guide, but you can download the full one from the Kobo website. Isn’t it gorgeous? I love the blue colour and the pattern! It lies very confortable in the hands.

Installing.
This was so easy. Once plugged into the computer, you just follow the instructions. Download the Kobo app, make an account and get started! You can buy e-books, make a wish list or you unplug the Kobo to play with it.


First experience.
The Kobo works smooth and fast. Just a little tap on the screen and it reacts. There are already some books and you can put them into bookshelves (I prefer to use Calibre for this.) There is a little button on top and this activates the special LED light. This is the best thing EVER! You can read in the dark without hurting your eyes. You can adjust the amount of light and it’s an amazing feature. This screen also reads like paper in the sun. I’d never imagined reading in the sun, but it’s not a problem at all. I love it! This is fun: adjust brightness on the website. I also installed some books on it: easy, peasy. You can use Calibre or you click and drag books to your Kobo folder.

P6123888Exploring.
So, let’s explore the Kobo. First, there is the main screen. It shows the last 5 books you’ve read. It’s a shame that three books have no covers (they are e-ARC’S) There are 3 ways to navigate. Library, Reading Life and the shop.

The Library (Bibliotheek on my screen):
you can find your books, bookshelves, previews and subscriptions. Clicking on books brings you to all your e-books. You can pick 5 ways to sort them:
-Recent books. -Title. -Author. -Size. -Type.
I love the bookshelf feature! It’s so easy to find books for my mood and I can find my review books without any problems.
Reading life: a feature I absolutely adore! You can win prices or keep track of your reading statics. It’s great to keep track of the amount of pages/hours/books you’ve read.
The shop: I haven’t used this one, so I can’t tell you anything about it. I do believe it’s pretty easy.

Here are more detailed pictures from the library options & the reading statics:
P6123890P6123889
Settings.
The settings are very easy. There are different sections, like your account, language (dictionaries), reading settings, Wi-Fi, date and time, information, light, sleeping and energy. The part I love the most is ‘extra’.  You can play chess, draw on your sketchpad, you can play Sudoku and there is an internet browser. Keep in mind that this screen is black and white (I used to have a screen with colours, so I needed to adjust a little)

Reading experience.
Perhaps the most important aspect of this review. Like I said: reading in the dark and the full sun is not a problem. There are no reflections and the special LED light is pleasant for the eyes. This was one of the main reasons for me to buy a Kobo Glo and I don’t regret my choice. Navigating in the library is easy. The hardest part is picking the book you want to read, haha. It’s very light and easy to hold (so reading in bed is comfortable and it’s no problem to bring it with you while traveling) The back doesn’t stain: you don’t leave any fingerprints behind. The battery life is long! Yes, I’m very positive and it almost reads like a book, because of the white front and the non-reflecting white screen.

If you read a book, you can click in the middle of the screen to open a menu.  There are several things you can do from here. You can go back to the main screen by clicking on the house in the left upper corner. On the right upper corner is the title of your book, a Wi-Fi symbol, your battery and a button for settings. In the bar down below are four options (and you can see the % you’ve read)

P61238911. A book. If you click on this button, a menu opens. You can go back to the table of contents. You can see all your notes (tap+hold on the screen. Two rounds will show up and you can drag them along the sentence(s) you want to remember. This will highlight them) You can search for a specific word or you can find a definition in the dictionary (tap+hold) Clicking on the right corner will fold the page; a bookmark.

2. Arrows. This allows you to scroll fast through the book.

3. Aa. You can pick between 11 fonts (do keep in mind that some books have a standard font) and you can adjust them however you like them.

4. Screwdriver. This is the part where you can put your book in a new/more bookshelves. You can mark it as “completed” and you can change the reading settings here too.

Tapping in the middle of the screen closes the menu again. If you put your Kobo into sleeping mode now, it will show you the cover of the book you’re reading and how far you are (%). This is awesome. No empty screen!

I hope this was helpful. If you’re not sure which e-reader to buy, I recommend this one or keep an eye on the blog for my next fairytale news where I give tips on picking the right e-reader. I’m completely in love. There are still some features I haven’t explored in my review, but these are the main points why it’s such a good device. If you aren’t excited after my review, here are some great YouTube reviews. They helped me to select this one.
Goodereader. It takes you 35 minutes to watch the complete review, but this one was so helpful. Very detailed.
Goodereader nighttime reading test. I’ve tried to help you with a lot of pictures, but here is the evidence that it works in the night! Takes you 4 minutes to watch it.
Ndeviltv outside review. This walks you through the e-reader while being outside in the sun.

Technical specs.
Size: 114 x 157 x 10 mm (4.5 x 6.2 x 0.4 in)
Weight: 185 g (6.5 oz)
Processor: 1 GHz
Display: 6" XGA Pearl E Ink touchscreen; 1024x758 resolution; 16-level grey scale
Screen: Responsive touchscreen for glare-
free, fingerprint-resistant reading
Light: Built-in ComfortLight technology with micro-thin hard coating for durability and even light distribution
Buttons: Power on/off, light on/off
Connectivity: Wi Fi 802.11 b/g/n and Micro USB
Storage: 2 GB* Option to expand up to 32 GB with a Micro SD card
Battery: Over 1 month with Wi Fi turned off**
Up to 70 hours of continuous usage with ComfortLight on***
Colours: Black Night, Pink Sunset, Blue Moon, Silver Star. Each featuring Kobo’s signature soft quilted-patterned back
eBookstore: Over 3 million eBooks, newspapers, and magazines. Over 1 million free titles
Kobo Everywhere: Kobo eBooks are stored safely in the cloud — retrieve them at anytime. Bookmarks and settings are seamlessly synced across all your Kobo eReading apps and devices.
Social Reading: Includes Reading Life — Track your reading stats and share what you're reading, favourite passages, and Reading Life awards to Facebook and Twitter.
Kobo Picks: Brings readers personalized recommendations based on their feedback and preferences.
File Types: EPUB, PDF, JPEG, GIF, PNG, TIFF, TXT, (X)HTML, RTF, CBZ, CBR

Disclaimer: I’m not affiliated with Kobo Glo. I don’t get paid and I’m not influenced in any way. This review is only for helpful purposes. I made the pictures myself.

author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

26 comments:

  1. I love my Kobo! That first youtube video you linked actually made me buy it, haha. :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, that was also the one that made me buy it!

      Delete
  2. Interesting post. Hope you enjoy your new e-reader. I personally have the ipad which I'm pretty used to now. Hopefully you won't be too busy or caught up in work :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really shouldn't have read this, even though it was an awesome post...

    ...because now I want a Kobo. *stares at the e-readers that I already own*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, yay, it looks so pretty! I actually wondered if I wanted to buy this one or Kindle Paperwhite and after consulting with some of my blogging friends, I decided to go w the Paperwhite. It's so so so good and I hope you'll enjoy your pretty as thoroughly as I am enjoying mine:) Congrats on reading in the sun lol. I'm so stoked about that as well, Paperwhite is really easy to do that with. Happy reading, Mel! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats with your Paperwhite. I'm happy you are loving it! :D

      Delete
  5. I have a Paperwhite and it's amazeballs. I was going to get a Kobo but changed my mine last minute.

    IT'S BLUE! OMG, it's so pretty and I hope you enjoy reading all your books on it, Melanie. <33

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhh looks so pretty, both the shell and software. Less crude than Kindle I'd say.
    I love my Kindle, one of the best buys I ever made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also hear great things about the Kindle :) Looks like a good device as well!

      Delete
  7. I own a Kobo touch and I love it, if it ever get's broken I am buying a Kobo again. I love the e-ink screen and how it reads like paper. I once saw a Kobo glow in a shop and that light feuture is really nice. The Kobo touch doens't have that. I sometimes use my ipad for reading, but I love my Kobo more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Kobo Touch was another choice, but the light feature was something I was willing to pay for :D

      Delete
  8. That Kobo is GORGEOUS. I used to be a firm Kindle supporter (I still am, kinda), because the Kindle was the only e-reader I'd ever used, but seeing all those pictures is changing my opinion! Glad you're having a great experience with this, Mel. If I ever need to change my e-reader, I'll definitely consider this, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know someone with a Kindle and I really like how it looks too :) So I can understand why you are a Kindle supporter!

      Delete
  9. Eek! A Kobo! My Kindle recently died :( so I'm looking for a new e-reader. This fairytale feature sounds great. Fab post, Mel! :)

    Zoe
    www.bookhi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post! Very informational, plus the Kobo is so pretty! I myself have an iPad but the Kobo was my second choice, for sure. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Enjoy the new Kobo and get all that homework done! Thanks so much for stopping by! Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
  12. I already have a Kindle, but the Kobo also sounds great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know nothing about Kobo. i really like Kindle but I wish it had a built-in light so I can read in the dark too. Kobo looks amazing. Enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just seeing the title of this post made me think it was a fairy tale retelling for some reason. Thanks for sharing about your Kobo!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've got the same ereader and I love it! I have the same color, beautiful. I like to have the light on even when it's day and I'm reading in the living room (with big windows), because it'll make my screen look whiter, and I like that :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0