Thursday, June 20, 2013 13:34

Review 168. E.D Baker – The wide-awake princess.

7197913Title: The wide-awake princess.
Author: E.D Baker.
Pages: 216.
Published: May 11th 2010.
Publisher: Bloomsbury USA Children's.
Sort: Part one of ‘Wide-awake princess’
In this new stand-alone fairy tale, Princess Annie is the younger sister to Gwen, the princess destined to be Sleeping Beauty. When Gwennie pricks her finger and the whole castle falls asleep, only Annie is awake, and only Annie—blessed (or cursed?) with being impervious to magic—can venture out beyond the rose-covered hedge for help. She must find Gwen's true love to kiss her awake. But who is her true love? The irritating Digby? The happy-go-lucky Prince Andreas, who is holding a contest to find his bride? The conniving Clarence, whose sinister motives couldn't possibly spell true love? Joined by one of her father's guards, Liam, who happened to be out of the castle when the sleeping spell struck, Annie travels through a fairy tale land populated with characters both familiar and new as she tries to fix her sister and her family.. and perhaps even find a true love of her own.
Rating:

If I need to describe this book in one word it would be: CUTE. This book is adorable! With a fun twist to the original Sleeping beauty story, Baker creates a fun story about friendship and finding yourself.

Summary.
When Annie’s sister Gwendolyn was cursed, the good fairies bestowed her with unusual gifts: instead of beauty, grace and a certain talent, Annie can resist magic and everyone loses their magic when she is around. That is the reason why everybody treats her like the plague, but it’s Annie they need to break the curse. Despite all efforts, Gwendolyn pricks her finger and everyone falls asleep. Except for Annie and one of the guards who was outside of the castle. Liam and Annie embark on an adventure to find the right prince to kiss Gwendolyn awake. And Annie might find her own true love too.

Review.
You got to love Annie. It was horrible to see who everyone treats her, even her parents! They only appreciate her when she rescues them from the curse, so it’s amazing that Annie grew up as the sweet, loving girl she is. She doesn’t hesitate a moment when Gwendolyn pricks her finger. This brave girl knows what she has to do and she tries to find Gwendolyn's true love together with Liam.

On her way, we get to meet several interesting princes.  I really liked the distinct voices from the princes. Most of them are after Gwendolyn for her famous great looks. That makes the growing romance between Annie and Liam even better. He accepts her for who she is and they are great together. Liam is a sweetheart.

The slight touch of mystery – who sent Gwendolyn the small spinning wheel? – made this story complete. It gave the story enough depth and I was surprised by something that is revealed in the end. This is definitely the book you want to read if you are in for something fluffy and funny.

author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

18 comments:

  1. I've been in the mood for fluffy and funny for weeks and it's a small book. And Annie sounds like a character I can connect to - I really like the sweet, brave heroines who like themselves. And Liam seems like a really sweet guy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the perfect book for such a mood :D

      Delete
  2. This book looks really good. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Mel! You know what I love about your reviews? I think that every time I've visited your blog, I've discovered something new. I love that you keep introducing me to these books with such great potential! Yay for cute reads, and I am definitely in the mood for something fluffy and funny... and my children's literature class gave me quite the appreciation for fairy-tale retellings like this.... *To-read shelf* :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awh, that is so nice! :) I always like to introduce people to new books.

      Delete
  4. Lovely review, Mel. I love the princess fairy tales because they always have a HEA! My type of read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww, great review :D It does sound really, really cute. And I do love the cover. I think I should give this book a try :) Thank you for sharing. <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha, I think "cute" sums up the cover, too! While a book like this wouldn't typically attract my attention, I'm glad you enjoyed this. Annie does sound like a great main character, and it's promising that you were able to sympathize with her in the book. And the name Gwendolyn is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. First of, the cover looks cute so it's not shocking to know that the story is cute too!! Annie sounds like an amazing character too!! Great review!!
    - Farah @ MajiBookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  8. Liam and Annie sound like wonderful characters. Sometimes I am definitely in the mood for something fluffy and funny and this sounds like the perfect read for that. I'm glad you enjoyed it, Mel. Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a YOU book, Mel! And I think I'd really like it, too, because I'm all for fairy tale retellings that are well executed. I feel like this book would just make me feel HAPPY, as I'm sure it did with you. You know, I don't think I've ever read a Sleeping Beauty retelling before, so I'm definitely curious about that. Anyways, thanks for putting this one on my radar! And really nicely reviewed!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't know how I missed this one! I adore fairy tale retellings and this one is so cute sounding. I really need to put this on hold at the library.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0