Monday, July 22, 2013 13:44

Fairytale News | All about e-readers.


'Mel on reading' is a little feature I created as part of my Fairytale news. It's my way to show my thoughts on topics that go from pet peeves in reading to my favorite things in books.
I posted a review about my new e-reader, which you can find here: Kobo Glo. I know some of you are thinking about getting one, but I can understand that it is difficult to choose one. There are so many brands to pick from, so I want to help you to find the one that suits you the best.

When you want to buy an e-reader, there are certain points you must keep in mind. I’ve made a list of 10 tips to help you buy your e-reader.

1. Reading experience. There are two different type of screens. There are E-ink e-readers and TFT/LCD e-readers. It all depends on what you want to do with your e-reader.

If you want to read outside in the full sun, you really need to pick an e-reader with an E-ink screen. If you want to read during the night, you also want to choose one with a backlight function (or you have to buy a separate light you can click on top of the e-reader. This is not recommended when you read often in the dark.) It has a long battery life, but it has no colour screen and it is supposed to be a bit slower than a TFT/LCD screen.

If you also want to use your e-reader for internet, it’s better to go for a TFT/LCD screen. This screen has a colour display and is a bit faster, so using Wi-Fi is not a problem. It is possible to read in the dark without an extra light, but keep in mind that this light is harsh and will soon hurt your eyes.
For me, it was fairly easy. No reflections and reading in the sun were two important aspects and I truly believe that an E-ink screen is the best if you often read on your e-reader. I used to have an TFT screen and it’s a huge difference.

2. Touchscreen/Buttons. Most e-readers have touchscreens, but there still devices with buttons. It’s not hard to get used to a touchscreen, but I can understand that some people prefer to use a home button.

3. Display. There are several sizes. 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 9,7 inch e-readers. The smaller the display, the easier and lighter in your hand. But if you want to read PDF files, it’s better to go a bit bigger. PDF’s are not easy to read on a small device (but it is possible.)

4. Formats. That brings me to this. Make sure that the device supports the files you use/you want to use.

5. Features. If you like to use a wordbook, highlight sentences, add notes, share quotes right away on Facebook etc, it’s important to check if your e-reader is compatible to use those features.

6. Memory. I believe most e-readers come with 1/2 GB, but if you want more memory you need to check if there is a possibility for a memory card (although.. I don’t think there is an e-reader without that possibility, but just to be sure)

7. Money. It’s also important to decide how much money you want to spend on your device. Compare different brands and e-readers in the same brand. Think smart: to give you an example; there are two Barnes & Noble e-readers. The Nook simple touch with glowlight and the Nook simple touch. The one with glowlight is 20 dollars more. If you are going to invest your money in an e-reader, be sure to buy the best one. The glowlight is definitely a useful and handy feature, so perhaps it’s better to spend 20 more dollars.

8. Watch and read reviews. This is the best way to see what is going to work for you. If many people complain about the many glitches, perhaps it’s better to look for another model. I especially recommend to watch reviews. Some of them are very detailed and this is your first step to get to know the e-readers. Perhaps you find out that it’s a bit too difficult for you when they navigate through the device. Or you might hate the look from the menu.

9. The store. Be sure that you can access the shop where you want to buy your e-books. I believe the Kindle only works with Amazon and if you don’t want to buy there, you have to pick another device.

10. Go to the store. If you have some e-readers and you’re still not sure which one, go to the store and try them out. No better way to find out what works best for you.

I hope this will help you! Do you have an e-reader? What where important aspects? Or are you thinking about buying one? How do you feel about e-books in general? I love my e-reader! It’s so easy to bring many books with me without the weight. When I’m going on vacation, I only need my device instead of bags filled with books. I have a strange habit though: if I love an e-book, I need to buy a paperback. There is no way that this book hoarder is going to stop buying books. I love my filled bookshelves. 


author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

35 comments:

  1. I have a Kindle paperwhite and I adore it to pieces! Having an e-ink reader has improved my ebook experience exponentially. When I first got my ereader I debated over whether I wanted the paperwhite or a regular Kindle without the backlight. Although the paperwhite was more expensive, getting the backlight is worth it because the technology they use ensures that the backlight isn't so glaring as much as a LCD screen would. Having an ereader has made me much more open towards reading ebooks, before this I avoided reading ebooks because it was so uncomfortable to read it on my phone. It's definitely important to have an ereader that suits you to fully enjoy reading ebooks. Ebooks are never going to replace physical books for me but with my Kindle, I don't hate reading ebooks :)

    Fantastic post Mel :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. They won't replace my physical books, but it's a great addition to my reading habits.

      Delete
    2. I love my Paperwhite too. The only thing that it doesn't have that the Kindle Touch did is the audio...but I never used it anyway.

      If you're going with e-ink, the backlight is a must.

      I have a tablet too, but I never use it. It's too harsh on my eyes to read and my phone is smaller but does the same thing as the Zoom.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for this awesome breakdown. I'm going to direct my sister here since she was looking into buying an e-reader, but she didn't know exactly where to start. I think she wants something to read outside with, or something generally smaller than an iPad to hold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, I hope this gives her some helpful information :)

      Delete
  3. These are great tips for buying an eReader! I have a Nook Tablet which I chose over the Kindle or others because of it's affordability and that I could add an SD card that I formatted with the Android operating system. This way, I can switch back and forth between using it as a regular Nook Tablet or as an Android tablet with all of the additional functionality that comes with that. (more apps, more storage, etc)
    I recently read that some booksellers will be bundling some hardcovers with the digital book. I'm really looking forward to this happening! I love the portability of ebooks but nothing beats the look and feel of a print book and a full bookshelf!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds very handy! :) And indeed, e-books are great but there is nothing better than a paperback.

      Delete
  4. I have a Kindle and I LOVE it :) To be honest, I was quite hesitant about buying one because of that flash to black thing between pages. I thought that it would annoy me, but it doesn't, I don't even notice it now :)

    Great article! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was something I was worried for too, but I agree, you hardly notice it :)

      Delete
  5. I don't have an e-reader but it is definitely something I've been considering buying. I didn't realize there were so many things one had to pay attention to when thinking about buying one. The only thing I've looked at so far are the reviews and money, but obviously there's other things I should be paying attention to as well. Thanks for helping point them out to me! (Why can't anything ever just be easy? lol)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I know! There are so many things to consider and I hope this will help you a bit :)

      Delete
  6. I have a Kobo Touch and I absolutely love it. It's one of the first versions of the Touch so it's a little rusty with the extra features (like the Wi-Fi!) but it's great for reading! The E-ink screen makes it incredibly easy on my eyes and I love that there are little reading awards. I'm trying to collect all of them but I'm not making great progress so far! The only thing that I get annoyed at is the syncing. I haven't synced since a year simply because it takes SO LONG. I've been asking around and I've heard that the amount of books you have affects the syncing speed? I only have 112 though which isn't very many compared to how many you CAN store so I'm not quite sure. Overall though, I'm really happy with the Touch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a bit stuck in my progress to get the reading awards too - some of them are really hard! My syncing takes a while too, but I have even more books on it. I don't think it's really necessarily though :)

      Delete
  7. I have a pretty old BeBook, although it crashes sometimes and is a tad slow, I love it! It's so much more handy than a normal book, because you can take a lot of books with you at the same time. Before, when I went on holiday half my trunk consisted of books :) I do still like the feeling of a real book in my hands better, but an ereader is just amazingly handy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Precisely. My father always complained about the bags of books I brought with me on vacation :p That is no longer an issue!

      Delete
  8. Love this post! Thank you for sharing Mel. <3 I do not have an eReader, not really. I do have an iPad 2, where I have the Kindle app, though, and bluefire (?), and I love reading on it, hih :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very good post! I read on both my iPad and my Kindle Paperwhite. The iPad is invaluable for PDF's and the Kindle is invaluable for reading outside! LOL Happy that you are really liking your Glo!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm truly terrible with e-readers. Someone bought me one as a gift, but I gave it to my mom, since I just use my computer instead. I'm sure I'm going to regret that (though right now nor in the immediate future will I be able to go on vacation, and I can't read in the car/etc.), but wow, your post is so thorough. I didn't realize that there were different options for how the ink would appear on the screen, or that there are two brands that are separated by one feature and $20. o.O Now I can appreciate the tough decision my brother had made.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have considered getting an e-reader, because reading off my ipad annoys me sometimes b/c of the glare! If I wanted one, i would definitely make sure to get the e-ink e-reader. Thanks for all the tips!!
    - Farah @ MajiBookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic and helpful post you have here! I love my kindle Paperwhite to death, it's so easy on the eyes and unbreakable- I drop mine a lot. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a brilliant post, thanks so much for the helpful info! I'll be bookmarking this for future use. I currently use my mobile as an e-reader. It's the size of the small tablet and does the job...for now, but I want to invest in an e-reader or full-sized tablet eventually. I can't read outside on the thing and that would be a must :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. When I was deciding what eReader to get, I read so many reviews and comparisons. I read the CNET guides at least 5 times and tried to be very sure. I eventually went with the Google Nexus 7 so I could use different formats while still being able to buy books for Nook and Kindle. I really like it, but sometimes I miss Nook and wish I'd gotten another one. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I won a Kindle Paperwhite and I really love it. I would love to have a reader that I can look at blogs on but I know that the LCD screen gives me a headache so an e-ink screen was a must for me. I still will read waaayyy more print books than ebooks but I love the Kindle for reading in bed. So light and I can touch the screen with the same hand I am holding it with. So cool!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I adore my Nook Color but it is almost 3 years old so I'm really thinking about getting something else as a treat for myself this Christmas. I will keep your tips in mind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh, this is a great present for yourself ;)

      Delete
  18. I have an old Kobo that's sitting under a pile of books with a dead battery. It's one of the really old ones, with a blue button for turning pages (no touchscreen). Reading PDFs was a hassle because the screen was so small, but sometimes you want the PDF rather than the EPUB. If I ever got another e-reader, I think I'd go for something a bit bigger.

    Right now I read e-books on my laptop. With the right software, I can read books from Kobo, Amazon, and the library. I like having all those options.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0