Friday, July 19, 2013 10:00

Review 176. Cassandra Rose Clarke – The assassin’s curse.

13533650Title: The assassin’s curse.
Author: Cassandra Rose Clarke.
Pages: 320.
Published: October 2nd 2012
Publisher: Strange Chemistry
Sort: Part one of ‘The assassin’s curse’

Ananna of the Tanarau abandons ship when her parents try to marry her off to an allying pirate clan: she wants to captain her own boat, not serve as second-in-command to her handsome yet clueless fiancé. But her escape has dire consequences when she learns the scorned clan has sent an assassin after her. And when the assassin, Naji, finally catches up with her, things get even worse. Ananna inadvertently triggers a nasty curse — with a life-altering result. Now Ananna and Naji are forced to become uneasy allies as they work together to break the curse and return their lives back to normal. Or at least as normal as the lives of a pirate and an assassin can be.
Rating:

What a fun story! A curse, magic, assassins, pirates and two interesting characters. I was swept away in this story and it’s almost impossible to imagine that this book is a debut!

Summary.
Ananna of the Tanarau is married off to another pirate clan, but instead of listening to the treats of her fiancé, she escapes on a stolen camel. Not long after that, Ananna is followed by an assassin. When she accidently saves his life, a curse is activated. The assassin, called Naji, is now bound to protect Ananna. Together, they embark on a journey to break the curse, but this is much harder than it seems. Naji is followed by people from the Mists and Ananna is now part of his trouble.

Review.
Every girl who manages to escape a marriage by stealing a camel is a girl who deserves my respect. I adored Ananna. Fierce, daring and intelligent. She isn’t afraid to stand up for herself and growing up on a pirate ship has made her strong and loyal. She can be a bit reckless, but she is a very likable character. I like her growing feelings for Naji and how she is capable of seeing his beauty behind the scars. Naji is mysterious and interesting. I didn’t connected with him as I much as I did with Ananna, but I liked him. He is the perfect match for Ananna and I’m happy that he wasn’t perfect. He has a soft side and it’s obvious that he likes Ananna way more than he wants to admit.

The world-building is good and filled with magic. There is blood magic, like Naji, or magic with elements, like Ananna’s mother. It is very subtle, because the real story is all about the curse.  When they finally have the answer, things seem impossible: and I can’t wait to see what they are going to do in part two! I’m also intrigued by the Mists and I want to find out more about this. Don’t expect a dazzling ending though. The story never builds up and there isn’t a real climax. I find it more a prologue – a step towards the real story, but I wasn’t disappointed. It fits with this story.
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

33 comments:

  1. Good world building and characters are the main thing I look for if I'm going to read a book. This ones sounds interesting, will check it out!

    Brilliant review, Mel! <33

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard awesome stuff about this one, but for the sequel... not so much, so I'm a bit worried! I like the sound of this, though. Like Melanie said: good world building and a great cast of characters are the makings of a good book, so maybe I'll still give this a go and take my chances with the sequel. Lovely review as always, hon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh really? Hmm, that's a shame, but I hope to read the sequel soon.

      Delete
  3. Ha! She escapes with a stolen camel? Ananna deserves a place on the bench for lovable heroines, then :D She wouldn't have been interesting if she had stayed with a husband that is clearly an ass. And the magic stuff sounds interesting! It's been such a long time since I've read a book with good magic in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She definitely made an impression with that :D

      Delete
  4. I was actually supposed to read this one for today, and I passed because another book had distracted me, but you're making me regret that. She escapes on a camel?! Lol, now it's time to read that first time for myself!

    I love books with the theme of beauty behind the scars... and blood and elemental magic is always fun to explore. Kind of disappointing that the end was a bit flat, but good thing Pirate's Wish is also on the computer, waiting to be read. You going to read that one soon? When you get back from Italy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to read it when I come back - or I might take a look at it sooner :p

      Delete
  5. Love the cover of this one and it sounds really interesting … even with the somewhat blah ending. Hope you are enjoying your trip :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the sounds of the great world building and characters in this! You know, I'm finding that problem with the ending more and more with books that are planned as series. It is disappointing because I love when each part of a series is strong on it's own. Still, sounds like a great start for this one! Maybe I'll wait until all three are out! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sometimes wish books in series could be read as stand-alones too.

      Delete
  7. I was really looking forward to this one because of all the great elements involved and the romance sounds cute. Good world building is a must have so I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    Alise @ Readers in Wonderland

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you enjoyed it much more than I did! I definitely have to agree about the worldbuilding, it was pretty fascinating and with all the magic too! I really hope to see more of it in the sequel :) Fantastic review Mel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm hoping for more of those aspects too.

      Delete
  9. Great review Mel :D Glad you enjoyed this book. <3 I still plan to read it, since I own both books in the series ;p Think the characters sounds sweet. <3 And I'm glad you loved them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recommend reading them right after each other. It's a shame I haven't got the time for it yet.

      Delete
  10. I've tried to read this one, but I could never get into it. I usually have no problems with dialect and high fantasies, but I couldn't connect. After your review, I'm kinda glad I didn't finish it. If the story doesn't build, that would frustrate me. I think I'm going to trade it on YA Book Exchange.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you can change it for a book you'll like! :)

      Delete
  11. I enjoyed this book as well..though I totally recommend reading the sequel at the same time because it is essentially chopped in half..which is IMHO very annoying!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am curious about the curse and subtle magic and the heroine sounds delightful, lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yikes, this is the second review on my blogroll that didn't really have amazing things to say about this book... I got the Kindle version on sale so now I'm kinda anxious! Though, the fact that she steals a camel to evade marriage IS pretty freaking awesome, haha! Great review, Mel! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I would recommend reading this book solely for that action :D

      Delete
  14. No, I didn't think this had much of a climax either, but then I learnt that the duology was one whole book to begin with. That almost makes the cut off point easier to understand. I'm glad to see you enjoyed this overall, though! I really liked it too, especially Naji and Ananna's relationship, and I can't wait to see what you think of the next one. Brilliant review, lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Escaping marriage by stealing the camel! I'd totally do it! I'm sorry you didn't enjoy this book completely but I really must read this book. Great review Mel :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I agree with you with it not having any climax but the story was pretty absorbing nonetheless and after the ending you'd still want to have more. Ananna is indeed a very likable character. And the development of her relationship with Naji was an entertaining one. I haven't read the next book but I'm really looking forward to it. Hopefully more action on the romance. Hah! Wonderful review, Mel! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm always cautious with fantasy, especially that tthis one didn't get good reviews with my friends. It's sad that it doesn't have a climax, kind of reminds me of Mockingjay , but yeah I think I heard that about it before.

    Great review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've heard so much praise for Ananna as an MC, I kind of love her already >.< Plus yeah, can't go wrong with pirates! The curse and the magic both sound like compelling aspects of this one, too bad the plot didn't really go anywhere but hopefully the next book will fix that up nicely! This one's already on my TBR but thanks for the insight ♥

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm really hoping for the second book to be more exciting. This one seemed to lay a lot of groundwork and I want the payoff!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I too enjoyed The Assassin's Curse. It was fun and unique. But I hate to say that I was disappointed in The Pirate's Wish. I am curious what you will think of it if you decide to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! I'm reading it now and I quite like it so far.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0