Review 191. Kiersten White – The chaos of the stars.

12578305Title: The chaos of the stars.
Author: Kiersten White.
Pages: 352.
Published: September 10th 2013 by HarperTeen
Sort: Stand-alone.
Source: Netgalley & Publisher.


Isadora’s family is seriously screwed up. Of course, as the human daughter of Egyptian gods, that pretty much comes with the territory. She’s also stuck with parents who barely notice her, and a house full of relatives who can’t be bothered to remember her name. After all, they are going to be around forever—and she’s a mere mortal. Isadora’s sick of living a life where she’s only worthy of a passing glance, and when she has the chance to move to San Diego with her brother, she jumps on it. But Isadora’s quickly finding that a “normal” life comes with plenty of its own epic complications—and that there’s no such thing as a clean break when it comes to family. Much as she wants to leave her past behind, she can’t shake the ominous dreams that foretell destruction for her entire family. When it turns out there may be truth in her nightmares, Isadora has to decide whether she can abandon her divine heritage after all.
Rating:

This book was fun. I’m actually surprised I liked it so much, since there isn’t much story when I think about it. The middle part is mostly about teenager hormones, but it was enjoyable. I think this book matched the mood I had: something easy, fluffy and funny. 

The first thing that made me excited about this book (and no, I’m not talking about the incredible cover) is the Egyptian mythology – and to my surprise we also get some Greek. I like mythology and I haven’t seen many YA books with Egyptian gods, so bonus points for that. I liked that every chapter starts with some information, so there is no huge info-dump.

In this book Isadora is the shining star. She is someone you easily start to like, especially because of her teenager spirit. She struggles with the fact that she is the mortal daughter of two immortal Gods. Her feelings were understandable and I think it's logical that she wants freedom. So when her mother (Isis) sends her to her brother because she feels danger, Isadora is more than happy. Until she finds out that her mother got her a volunteer job, but it's not that bad in the end. She makes friends with Tyler (girl), Scott (Tyler’s boyfriend) and Ry.

Isadora develops subtle and I liked the influence of her friends. She tries to push Ry away, but it only makes him come closer. There is no insta-love here (yeay) and they are a great match. You got to like Ry, who is different – in a good way. He is always writing in his notebook (poetry, how romantic!) and he is a bit goofy. This makes up for the fact that he has flawless looks. White doesn’t portray him as perfect and that is great.

This isn't a book with much plot and it quickly unravels at the end with an interesting twist. It’s more about friendship, love and finding yourself. Normally, that would have bothered me, but White’s writing-style made up for it. It has a humorous tone and it’s light and easy. Perhaps it’s just because I was in a fluffly mood, but it worked for me. [Although it’s one of the reasons this book has a 3-star rating]

What I disliked was the fact that Isadora’s mother gets a baby every 20 years. WHY? I still don’t understand it.. I can see why Isadora believes that she is unloved, because her mother is a walking baby factory. Taking a child every 20 years is almost like replacing the old ones with a new play toy. Why would you torment yourself with losing a child all over again? I believe it has something to do with being worshiped to stay strong, but it strikes me as rather odd.

If you don't expect much more of this book than a fluffy read, you're good to go.

46 comments

  1. It seems like all bloggers agree that even though this is a funny book the plot is almost non existing. Too bad as books always tend to lack emotions not the story. Then again it's a good thing you didn't expect much so you weren't disappointed. Great review Mel :)

    Tanja @ Ja čitam, a ti?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rick Riordan's The Kane Chronicles is the only YA Egyptian Mythology I've ever read so I was really excited when I heard about The Chaos of Stars! To be honest, I'm quite disappointed to hear that it's a 'fluffy' read. I was hoping it would be something action-packed and riveting. I love that Ry writes poetry tho! Total bonus points! LOL at Isis- it must be hard, being a walking baby factory =))) Goodness, that's really weird. Anyway, I still might give this a go just because I so love the cover. Lovely review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Action-packed would have been better, but now you know it's fluffy so you won't be disappointed! :)

      Delete
  3. I am also excited about the Egyptian Mythology. I've heard from several reviewers that they were disappointed, which is a bummer since I like this author and loved her other books. I'm planning on just getting this one from the library. Thanks for the review!

    Tressa @ Tressa's Wishful Endings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked her other books to and this one felt similar to Paranormalcy :) so you might enjoy it like I did!

      Delete
  4. Love your new header :) I always enjoy books about mythology and am pretty sure this one is going to be a winner for me, even though it's just kind of a fluff read. I could always use more of those, especially with all the school reading I have to do nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I agree, sometimes I'm in the mood for something easy.

      Delete
  5. Great review, Mel! I didn't like this one as much, but I agree with you about there not being much of an info dump. I really liked her intros in the begging of each chapter. They were fun and had lots of personality :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmms I think I will pass then..too bad it sounded promising!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could always get a copy from the library? :)

      Delete
  7. Kiersten White definitely has a fun and light writing style. Her Paranormalcy books always made me laugh. It's funny to say, but I think if it were a really serious dark take on Egyptian mythology, I might shy away from it more. But this sounds like something I might enjoy for a quick fun read. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oomph, I don't think I'd like that mother much either. I've been hearing mixed reviews about this one, but most are very similar to yours. I'm thinking I may pass on it after all. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your new header! Simple and Pretty! :D Egyptian Mythology fascinates me. Thanks for the lovely review, Mel.

    -Dannielle

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great review! I won't expect the book to blow me away, but you don't see many books focusing on Egyptian myths so it sounds interesting.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm not sure if I'll be bothering to pick this up as nothing by White has impressed me. Glad it was somewhat enjoyable for you!

    Fab review, Mel! <33

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, I don't think you would like this one then :)

      Delete
  12. Egyptian mythology <-- Too true. Not very many at all. Only books I can think of off the top of my head might be Rick Riordan's. It's mostly Greek mythology in YA.

    "She is someone you easily start to like, especially because of her teenager spirit." <-- Heee. That's funny because I recently read a book where I basically hated the MC because of her teen spirit. I knew it was a realistic portrayal but I was like, oh, geez. I couldn't deal with myself in those years; can't do this now o.O. But it's nice that you liked Isadora; I've read some other reviews where the bloggers didn't.

    "She tries to push Ry away, but it only makes him come closer. There is no insta-love here (yeay) and they are a great match. You got to like Ry, who is different – in a good way. He is always writing in his notebook (poetry, how romantic!) and he is a bit goofy." <-- White's really good at not portraying insta-love and at giving other things to love besides 'flawless' looks so to speak. If only she wrote for a more mature YA crowd, a slightly different novel than Mind Games but with a similar dark tone...

    It's been awhile since I read her Paranormalcy series, but I get what you mean about her books being less on plot and more on friendship, normal things. And redoing them in a light, humorous tone. It's refreshing to read after all the angst in the YA, but I'm with you on some of her work feeling more like 3 star kind of reads.

    "a walking baby factory" <-- Yeck!! OW That's got to hurt. Not just on Isadora's end, but her mom! Childbirth! HOW MANY CHILDREN DOES SHE HAVE AND HOW DOES SHE ACCOMMODATE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear much about Riordan's books.. I might need to give them a try. I thought her teen spirited worked great here :) and I agree, her romance is always believable and realistic. A somewhat more mature YA from her would be great. Haha, yes, the horror.. You know, I don't even know anymore. I believe most of them end unfortunate.

      Delete
  13. Hah. I didn't think I wanted to read this book, but you have made me want to check it out :) I want fluffy. Sounds sweet and romantic, lol <3 glad you enjoyed the characters :D Wants to meet Ry. Great review Mel. <3 Glad you enjoyed it even though you didn't fully love it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice :D If you are looking for fluffy, this is perfect for you.

      Delete
  14. I haven't read many YA books with egyptian gods in them either, so that aspect sounds promising. And it's nice to occasionally get something light and fluffy that doesn't require much thinking. I haven't had the best luck with White's books in the past though, so I think I'll skip this one for now, but thanks for the helpful review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, that is a wise decision. I enjoyed her other work and this is pretty much the same :)

      Delete
  15. Meh, I haven't been seeing many good reviews for any of Kiersten White's books, to be honest - mostly just mixed ones, like these. I'm glad you had plenty of fun reading this, and I agree that the Egyptian mythology part is what got my attention! I'm not too sure if a "fluffy read" would be one for me (I like dark books, heheh), so maybe I'll just pass this on for now. Lovely review as always though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like dark book most of the times, but having something different can be fun now and then :D

      Delete
  16. I love this cover!!! I'll definitely keep this one in mind if I need a fluffy fun read, it's always interesting when authors mix mythology with teen hormones haha also, I got ridiculously swoony when you described Ry as both romantic and goofy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh, you better read this book some day then ;) Ry is sweet.

      Delete
  17. I didn't like this one, it was too mellow? for me. But I'm glad that you did. Awesome review. xD

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this kind of books, but I've heard so many bad things about it, so thanks for sharing your opinion, I really want to read it!

    Lis @ The reader lines

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm reading this one now, and I'm kind of waiting for it to pick up. It's really fun and Isadora's voice is great (also her friends are fantastic!), but I know what you mean about the plot. Love the way the beginning of the chapters has the mythology.

    Sara at The Page Sage

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm sorry that this one wasnt outstanding, but sometimes it's nice just to have a light, purely for enjoyment read, and if that read doesn't have the greatest plot but still does the job you're wanting it to do well... I think that's okay. Great review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hmmm, when I first heard of this book, it was really hyped up, but it seems everyone agrees that it has very little plot and is mostly just fluff. I'm a plot junkie, I usually read for the plot (fluff is just an extra bonus), so I don't think I'll read this one. Great review! :)

    Emz @ Icy Cold Reads

    ReplyDelete
  22. I read the synopsis and was drawn to the egyptian mythology, but I have been hearing a lot of mixed feelings about this book. I wasn't a fan of Kristin White's Paranormalcy series, but I glad to hear that its a light read.

    Rushita @ Ink Pages & Words

    ReplyDelete
  23. Definitely a fluffy read-I still prefer White's Paranormalcy as I felt it was better balanced with some darker moments.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Like you, it's the Egyptian mythology that is luring me into this book (but yes the cover is gorgeous). I'm glad I know now to expect something light and fluffy, and that this book is not perfect. I'm not going to rush and get this book, but it is something I hope to read in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hey, I hope you don't mind my late comment: I had your review for this one bookmarked since it went up, but I'm only getting to it now, can you imagine! Anyways, I've never read anything by White before and while I've heard mixed things, the main draw for me here is, like you: the Egyptian mythology! I think I'd read anything with Egyptian stuff in it, so light and fluffy sounds ok to me :) GREAT review Mel ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! :D A comment is a comment, doesn't matter how long it takes, haha.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible.