Tuesday, August 06, 2013 14:48

Review 181. Marie Lu – Prodigy.

13414446Title: Prodigy.
Author: Marie Lu.
Pages: 371.
Published: January 29th 2013 Putnam Juvenile
Sort: Part two of ‘Legend’
Review part 1: Legend.

June and Day arrive in Vegas just as the unthinkable happens: the Elector Primo dies, and his son Anden takes his place. With the Republic edging closer to chaos, the two join a group of Patriot rebels eager to help Day rescue his brother and offer passage to the Colonies. They have only one request—June and Day must assassinate the new Elector. It’s their chance to change the nation, to give voice to a people silenced for too long. But as June realizes this Elector is nothing like his father, she’s haunted by the choice ahead. What if Anden is a new beginning? What if revolution must be more than loss and vengeance, anger and blood—what if the Patriots are wrong?
Rating:

I enjoyed this book, but it’s a bad sign that I seem to forget about many details already.. That doesn’t happen a lot to me and I have to say, this book didn’t impress me so much as Legend. I loved the world-building though. It was interesting to finally find out how this all started and in this aspect, it outshines Legend. The character development and the overall plot were less engaging for me, but it’s not a bad sequel at all.

The biggest problem I had was one of my favorite aspects in the first book. I wasn’t such a fan of June and Day now. They both lost some of their charm from the beginning. I missed the chemistry between them and I didn’t like their interactions. I was happy that June stayed true to herself, but Day’s easy mistrust was annoying.

The pacing is okay, but the middle part was a bit boring. Nothing seems to happen and I expected more excitement. The fact that June is about to help in a plot to murder the new Elector promises me much action, but it was hardly there. It’s more about June’s doubt and Day’s struggle to believe in her. It was also more about the lies from the rebels. This book was more about the psychological aspect instead of fighting and that wasn’t what I expected.

I liked the ending though. This book could easily be the ending of this series. I always like it when books in a series almost work as stand-alones. Despite my disappointing, I'm looking forward to Champion.

author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

32 comments:

  1. Such a shame that this one turned out to he disappointing, Mel. I haven't read this series yet but I've been meaning to, the world building sounds magficent.

    Lovely review, hon! <33

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, I'm sorry this one didn't completely work for you. I absolutely loved it, even though the end broke my heart. It will be interesting to see how Champion wraps everything up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'll wait until the series is done and then pick it up - no painful waiting for the final one xD

    I can't understand why it's almost always like this with sequels - the first book is amazing, but then the second one is kind of... lacking. I hope you'll like the conclusion to the series more (when it comes out)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, great idea! I normally try to wait before I start a series too.

      Delete
  4. I've heard some many brilliant reviews for Legend and I haven't got to read the series yet but I really need to. I don't read enough Dystopian. Though I always feel that a sequel isn't as good as the first book. There has to be an exceptional sequel to get me to love it. Great review Mel! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one has a touch of the second-book-syndrome.

      Delete
  5. Really? I actually liked this one more because I thought there was more action and it was less of the typical dystopia with X and X elements, but I also agree with a lot of what you said. I've definitely seen a lot of the same reviews about Day, and truthfully he lost some of his charm for me too, with his constant... what was it? Yeah? Yeah? At the end of everything he said. I too am a fan of books in a series working as stand-alones--I'm curious to know what you think of certain plot twists. Another discussion another day?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The action felt a bit.. flat to me, I'm not sure why.

      Delete
  6. I've seen many reviews like this for Prodigy, makes me a bit less excited to read Legend. I hate when the romance goes downhill in sequels. World building is a plus though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the world-building made up for it all!

      Delete
  7. I have not started this series yet. I do have a copy of the first book, but reviews are turning me off. I would be disappointed that it was heavily psychological and less "active" (ie. fighting) than its predecessor though - at least you liked it still!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't started this series yet but I hear similar reviews saying end good but meh to the rest...too bad!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww, I'm so sorry to hear that! I loved loved loved Legend mainly because of June and Day so if you say that they lost their charm and appeal in this book, I'm kinda scared. :S But I would still like to see for myself - since you liked the ending, I'm thinking that the writing is more or less still the same. Great insightful review!

    Precious @ Fragments of Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely give this one a shot! :)

      Delete
  10. Aww, well this is a bit disappointing. I haven't read the first one yet, but it's never encouraging to hear that the sequel to a series you haven't started yet was lacking. But it definitely isn't a good sign if you have a hard time remembering things from the first book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I normally don't have troubles with that, so I'm not sure where it went wrong here.. My mind is most of the time good at memorizing.

      Delete
  11. I haven't started this series yet, but I know what you mean about forgetting some details in books. Usually those that don't stay with me, I give them mediocre ratings because they just weren't memorable or as exciting. Great review :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Precisely! Apparently, they weren't interesting enough.

      Delete
  12. Aw, I'm sorry you didn't fully love it :( I understand it, though. I loved it, but yeah. I can understand why you didn't :) Still, glad you are excited for Champion and that you liked the ending :D Thank you for sharing your review. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always try to find things I liked in books and overall, it wasn't such a bad sequel! :)

      Delete
  13. I'm wish you 100% on all these points. The worldbuilding was better, the ending was just AAHHH KILL ME KNOW! But June and Day (as well as that truly unnecessary love "square") was so incredibly frustrating. For me, there were aspects of their relationship-woes that worked, but others just didn't. Great review :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. awww that sucks that you were disappointed by this!! I really hope i would enjoy it as much as Legend! At least the world building was great? Thanks for sharing! Great review, Mel!
    - Farah @ MajiBookshelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that was definitely a strong point in this book :)

      Delete
  15. Aw, sorry this one didn't really work for you. I was upset about the distance between Day and June as I really love them as a couple but am still eagerly anticipating Champion.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I found some of the drama/tension between June and Day in this one a little bit annoying, but I actually prefered this book to the first. Everything just felt a little tighter and better developed for me. Sorry that it disappointed you slightly though. :( But I'm glad you're still looking forward to Champion. Lovely review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I didn't like June and Day together in this one either. Day annoyed me so much, with his mistrust and his tantrums. I couldn't deal with it. Right now I'm kind of hoping he dies *whistles*

    ReplyDelete
  18. I still have to read this one. I read Legend way after everyone else did and while I enjoyed it, it didn't WOW me like I expected given everyone else's response to it. I wonder how I will feel about Prodigy. I did like June and Day but if Day is mistrustful that might bother me too. And the lack of action might dampen my enthusiasm as well. We shall see. I won't be going into this one with as high of expectations so that should help.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0