Wednesday, August 14, 2013 12:42

Review 184. Laura Andersen – The Boleyn king.

16071746Title: The Boleyn king.
Author: Laura Andersen.
Pages: 358.
Published: May 14th 2013.
Publisher: Ballantine Books
Sort: Part one of ‘The Boleyn trilogy’
Source: Netgalley & Publisher.
What if Anne Boleyn had given Henry VIII the son he so desperately wanted? Just seventeen years old, Henry IX, known as William, is a king bound by the restraints of the regency yet anxious to prove himself. With the French threatening battle and the Catholics sowing the seeds of rebellion at home, William trusts only three people: his older sister Elizabeth; his best friend and loyal counsellor, Dominic; and Minuette, a young orphan raised as a royal ward by William's mother, Anne Boleyn. Against a tide of secrets, betrayal, and murder, William finds himself fighting for the very soul of his kingdom. Then, when he and Dominic both fall in love with Minuette, romantic obsession looms over a new generation of Tudors. One among them will pay the price for a king's desire, as a shocking twist of fate changes England's fortunes forever.
Rating:

This is what I call: a solid book. Interesting topic, an okay writing-style and okay characters. I liked it, but it’s nothing too special. Everything is a bit too ‘okay’, but I give the author credits for the original twist. I’ve never read a book like this about The Tudors.

What if Anne Boleyn gave life to a boy? What if that boy grew up to be king after his father’s dead? Those are the questions we get answered in this story. Henry IX, seventeen years old son of the deceased Henry VIII, is waiting to prove himself. He is known as William and he trusts three people in his life; Dominic, the orphan Minuette who was raised by Anne Boleyn and his older sister, Elizabeth. There is an interesting friendship between these people and I was happy to see that there was some loyalty.

One day, Minuette discovers that a friend got herself involved in a dangerous complot. The girl dies in an ‘accident’ and Williams sends Minuette as spy to several households. Someone wants to take the thrown and they are trying to spread rumors about his birth: they want to brand him as bastard. The complot was good and is partly solved at the end. I liked that there is a conclusion with enough open endings for the second book.

The characters were okay, but I felt a distant. I wasn’t connect to any of them. Minuette is a brave girl. She dares to speak her mind to the king, but she was a bit too naive for me. William sounds like someone who could be a great king. He’s sometimes a bit too much like his father (when it comes to women). He is young and impulsive, but I think he needs time to adapt to his power. Dominic is difficult to read and Elizabeth isn’t enough in the book to develop. I was looking forward to see Anne's role in this book, but she is hardly there. The love-triangle at the end felt forced and out of place,

Overall, interesting take on The Tudors, but I wasn’t blown away. I’m not going to read the next book soon, perhaps not at all.

author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

24 comments:

  1. I just feel that the Tudor genre is so generally exhaustive and exhausted...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some books are still interesting, but this one wasn't..

      Delete
  2. Great review Mel. <3 I'm sorry you didn't love the book, but glad it wasn't all bad, lol :) Not for me, but I do think it sounds interesting. Thank you for sharing <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a shame that you weren't overly impressed with this book, but I'm glad that it wasn't awful. I haven't read anything about the Tudors in over a year, but I don't think I'll pick this up. Thanks for the helpful review, Mel! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't recommend trying it. There are far better books out there.

      Delete
  4. I'm a big fan of Tudors novels but it has to be written well. I only ever read Philippa Gregory's series though and I've enjoyed those well. This one sounds interesting, in it that there's a twist. I think I'll still give it a chance though.

    Thanks for your honesty, Mel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to see what you think once you give it a shot :)

      Delete
  5. Haha, first off, can I say how much I love that rating of yours? "Nice try." :)

    Sorry that you weren't that connected to the characters. Seems a little weird that Anne wasn't that involved if the book is asking the question of what it'd be like if she gave birth a boy. When you say "some loyalty" between William, Dominic, Minuette, and Elizabeth, do you mean that everyone is paranoid with court dramatics and political intrigue? And arghhh to the love triangle--I'm sure, if William was already paranoid about the bastard aspect, that'll increase the dramatics.

    Sorry that this one didn't live up to your expectations, Mel! I hope your next read works out better. Also, nice new signature!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks! :D

      It surprised me that these four became such strong friends, especially with all the betrayal and back-stabbing to gain more power and money.

      Delete
  6. Hmm, I haven't heard of this one but I don't believe that I'll be trying this any time soon. Such a shame that you were disappointed.

    Lovely review as usual, Mel! <33

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is exactly how I felt about this one. Such a great premise, but poorly executed. The romance was so forced and silly too. Grr.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry this one wasn't so great, Mel! It sounds like the focus could have done well if it'd been more evenly focused on all the main characters, not just the two- maybe as the series progresses that won't be so much of a problem, if you do end up continuing with the story.
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't good enough to continue now, so I probably won't read the sequel ever :p

      Delete
  9. Nice review, Mel! Sorry this one was a bit meh for you! I usually love reading about the Tudors but this sounds very middle of the road. If I didn't connect to the characters, that would be the worst thing for me & a forced romance would drive me mad. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love The Tudors, but there are so many better books.

      Delete
  10. I am naturally curious about the Tudors and especially about Anne Boleyn, and besides, I always enjoy alternate history books, so even though this isn't exactly remarkable, it still sounds like something I'd like a lot.
    Thanks for the lovely review, Mel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If that is the case, you should try it! It might surprise you :)

      Delete
  11. I loved the Tudors, one of my favourite time periods and this definitely sounded interesting but not a fan of the whole love triangle situation and the story just seems very odd in context with the historical period. Great review Mel :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Odd is a perfect word to describe this book.

      Delete
  12. I don't know about the character Minuette-I honestly just don't like her name. I do think this is a cool concept even if I'm really glad it didn't happen in real life because Elizabeth I was an awesome queen!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awww, I'm sad you didn't like it! One of my other blogger friends really enjoyed it and I'm just so curious because I'm always rooting for Anne to survive (which is silly, I know) and this alternate history fascinates me.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0