Review 198. Gail Carriger – Blameless.

7719355Title: Blameless.
Author: Gail Carriger.
Pages: 374.
Published: September 1st 2010.
Publisher: Orbit.
Sort: Part 3 of ‘Parasol Protectorate’
Part 1: Soulless.
Part 2: Changeless.
Quitting her husband's house and moving back in with her horrible family, Lady Maccon becomes the scandal of the London season. Queen Victoria dismisses her from the Shadow Council, and the only person who can explain anything, Lord Akeldama, unexpectedly leaves town. To top it all off, Alexia is attacked by homicidal mechanical ladybugs, indicating, as only ladybugs can, the fact that all of London's vampires are now very much interested in seeing Alexia quite thoroughly dead. While Lord Maccon elects to get progressively more inebriated and Professor Lyall desperately tries to hold the Woolsey werewolf pack together, Alexia flees England for Italy in search of the mysterious Templars. Only they know enough about the preternatural to explain her increasingly inconvenient condition, but they may be worse than the vampires -- and they're armed with pesto.
Rating:

Blameless was fantastic. I was interested because of the ending of Changeless, but I wasn’t so sure what that would mean for this book, but Carriger delivered. And the best part of it: Alexia goes to Italy! I read this when I was in Italy myself, so that was a fun coincidence. You can read the review if you haven't read any of the other books. That is something I really like about the blurbs. There are no spoilers whatsoever, so credits for that.

Again, filled with humor, great characters and a fast-paced action-filled plot.

I LOVED the drama. Things are spinning out of control and there is chaos everywhere. We have separate storylines, but they all come together in the end. Lord Akeldama, a character I adore, tries to find his stolen object. When they find out who is behind it, the true mystery starts to unravel. Vampires are trying to kill Alexia, because they are afraid for her.

The biological background in this story, explained by a very strange German man, was fantastic. I was fascinated by his concept of being a supernatural/soulless. This explains why the Templars are keeping Alexia captive. It’s a shame that Italy wasn’t explored that much, but the idea that she was there was nice.

I liked the characters, like always. Even when she is turned down by her husband, hunted by vampires and mechanical bugs, scandalized in the news and locked in a prison, Alexia’s spirit doesn’t break. She stays calm and strong. I like how realistic her feelings were towards Lord Maccon and how she is trying to show him that she is right. She would love to rub him the truth in his face, but she is still able to forgive him. I liked to see how he changes. His initial reaction, mostly out of fear, turns into shame when he realizes that he is wrong. It's obvious that he loves Alexia and I like their dynamic.

Can’t wait for part 4!

32 comments

  1. YAYAYAYAY. I think I've commented on your other reviews for the books this series with the same thing: that I am going to read the book. But did I say by next Monday? EEP SO EXCITED.

    Alexia goes to Italy! <-- WHAAAT. How awesome. And it's the best when you're reading a book set exactly where you are - did you get to see any of the sights that she did?

    DRAMA. SLY HUMOR. AWESOME CHARACTERS. MULTIPLE STORYLINES THAT COME TOGETHER. BIOLOGICAL BACKGROUND THAT WORKED IN PNR. AN ADORABLE HUSBAND/WIFE PAIR.

    I really hope that I like Soulless just so that I can continue on with this series o.o.

    :( to Italy not being explored much - any chance of that in the next book?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next monday, great! :D I hope you're going to like Soulless, but I'm pretty sure you will. I don't think she is going to return. She went to visit the Templars there and that story is finished now. But who knows, perhaps Carriger surprises me :D

      Delete
  2. Alexia seems like a MC that I'd appreacite a lot with her strongwill and clear mindedness.

    Fab review, Mel! <33

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been wanting to read this series for SO long but for some reason I've never gotten around to it. Is that dumb of me? It probably is. :p I'm glad to see that you enjoy this series so much and it definitely makes me want to pick this series up even more!

    Great review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't say 'dumb' but it's definitely a shame :p!

      Delete
  4. Great review. Sounds like an interesting series. Glad you liked it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome review. I already have the book on my stash but haven't pick it up. Once I cleared up my TBR, I'll definitely pick this series again. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love strong characters and Alexia sounds like a really easy person to like. I've been meaning to try something by Gail Carriger for so long! I really need to make a start of this series, I think. Thanks for the helpful review as always! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like it has really great characterization but this series is not one that has ever really appealed to me. I'm happy that it just keeps being great for you, usually I find that series get tiring around book 3 so yay for that not happening here!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't started this series yet, but it's on the list. :) I freaking love the gargoyle on the cover. I have a weird obsession with those things. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have heard of this series but unfortunately haven't had a chance to read it. I usually get annoyed but too much drama but it seems it works here. I like the sound of this and I'm glad you enjoyed :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not much of a drama-fan either, but it works here.

      Delete
  10. I have been seeing these books around a lot lately, but haven't really looked much into them. And I love books that have a setting in Italy! This sounds like an interesting series :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How exciting that you read in Italy while you were there, Mel!! I've read books set in Paris and Europe before I went, but I wish I was reading something set there while visiting. I plan on doing that the next time I go. This sounds like you really enjoyed this series. I love mysteries so I should check this out. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was extra fun, because I didn't know about the setting!

      Delete
  12. wow I have actually never heard of this series.. but it sounds so cool! and I love the sound of the characters too! Great review, Mel!
    - Farah

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't read this series yet. But I keep seeing it in a lot of my trusted GRers favourite shelves. You're lucky you get to read it while you're in Italy - makes for a reel time read, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  14. "I LOVED the drama." - So unexpected! Usually I'm one who shies away from drama, even in books, because they seem too... over-the-top and unrealistic. Most of the time, too, the drama involves the guy chasing after the girl, vice versa, and so on, but those four words really pulled me in.

    Like you, I'm also super fascinated by the soulless idea. The only other person I knew who lived ALMOST without a soul was Voldemort, and even then, he still had a bit left in, and look what happened? He died.

    I also love how realistic the character interactions are, especially those between Alexia and Lord Macon. I'm starting to really like Alexia and her I-don't-give-shit attitude, even though she can be soft when she wants to, too.

    I STILL haven't started this series yet, but I'm always up for a good steampunk, and you really know how to sell a book, Mel! I'm sincerely hoping I'll get a chance to read this in the future. Fab review as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? I'm like you, I normally don't like drama in books. I guess it just suited the story! :)

      Delete
  15. Aw, sounds like an interesting book :) Glad you loved the romance, hih. <3 and that the story was good for you :) Thank you for sharing. <3

    ReplyDelete
  16. This series is on my must read list, I've heard so many great things about it and it sounds so unique. Thanks for the great review, I love the drama lol.

    Jeann @ Happy Indulgence

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible.