Monday, September 16, 2013 09:50

Review 197. Nancy Holder – Spirited.

303197Title: Spirited.
Author: Nancy Holder.
Pages: 225.
Published: November 9th 2004 by Simon Pulse
Sort: Part of the ‘Once upon a time’ series.
In May 1756 war is formally declared between the British and the French. During this highly dangerous time, Isabella Sevens is travelling with her father to the British stronghold Fort William Henry. In the forest, Wusamequin, the young and handsome medicine man, looks to avenge the death of his wife and child at the hands of British soldiers. When Wusamequin spots Isabella and her father, he alerts his warriors to capture them. But Wusamequin is quite taken with how bravely Isabella battles. He orders the warriors to spare her and her father, and they are dragged back to their village. However, many members of the Mohican tribe still want them to be killed. In a desperate plea to Wusamequin, Isabella vows to stay as his hostage if he lets her father go.
Rating:

I must admit that I wasn’t very excited to read this book in the first place. My first book from this author was The rose bride and I gave it two stars in the end. My main problem with that book also happened here in Spirited: I was bored. The story seemed to go on and on. I also wasn’t invested in the shallow plot or the annoying characters.

I actually started to skim most of the pages towards the ending and that is a bad sign for such a short book. It just didn’t work for me and it irked me. The beast in this story is a beast because he is a Native American. I didn’t like that. The way Isabella portrays him was annoying and the beastly features in the real story is what makes this so magical. Wusamequin is a healthy, good-looking guy, so the whole true nature of the story fell flat to me. Isabelle isn’t ‘Belle’ worthy. Where I absolutely love the original Belle, Isabelle annoyed the heck out of me. She is whiny, arrogant and stupid. The way she thinks about these people as less, because ‘they have never been into a house’.. And she keeps saying ‘Mahwah’ and it’s pathetic when you find out what that word means.

There is also something off about the writing-style. It’s overly descriptive in the beginning and that made the story drag. Add the unlikable characters and I’m done. Definitely try to skip Nancy Holder’s books in this series and I don’t think I’ll read any of her works in the future. Not my thing.

author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

32 comments:

  1. What the...? He was a beast because he was a Native American? Oh, that is just offensive. This book definitely sounds like it's not for me. Thanks for the review, Mel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes! Even allowing for the prejudice that goes with the time period, Isabella sounds stupid. Thanks for the warning. I'll be skipping this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. *cringe* Uhhh so you can be a beast just because you're of a certain ethnicity? Oh dear. There is something very wrong when you start to get bored in a 200 paged book, that should be a very quick and swift read. Thanks for the great review Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH dear, this sounds rather horrid. Def. not picking this one up with those things in it!

    Great review, Mel! <33

    ReplyDelete
  5. ugh I hate when you have to resort to skimming just to get to the end. I won't be picking this one up, by the sounds of it, this author just isn't seeming to work for you at all. I hope your next read is a much better one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I am bored with a book, things to tend to go from bad to worse for me. Sorry this one wasn't for you though. Great review and thanks for the honest opinion :)

    Janina @ Synchronized Reading

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh no, it's always a bad sign when you start skimming a book. I confess I picked up a couple of books in her PNR series (witches, I think?) when they were on sale on Amazon, and then I just couldn't get into those, either. Oh, well.

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's obvious for me that I'm going to stay away from her work :)

      Delete
  8. Wow, this sounds something I would definitely hate. The beast is the beast because he's Native American? That's just...I don't know. I can't even comment on it. Isabelle sounds super irritating too. I hope you have better luck with your next read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, that was my first reaction too.. I didn't know what to do with the concept.

      Delete
  9. Def gonna skip this. I mean the beast thing and then ruining Belle? Non-negotiable. Thanks for the insightful review, Mel! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't think I would have liked this one at all. I think I would have put it down when you figure out he is descried as the beast because he's native American.

    I am almost done with this series. I've read three books in this series from Cameron Dokey and I had the same problem with them as you've had with this book. They where all boring. They had some good aspects, but they where just to boring to get into the story.

    Great review :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh wow this book seems like it has some annoying characters... Also writing style is very important to me, and i HATE overly descriptive writing. Thanks for the honest review!
    - Farah @ MajiBookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nope, this one definitely does not sound like my cup of tea- the fact that he's a beast because he's Native American, and she thinks they're below her... it sounds like I would really, really dislike this.
    Sorry it didn't work for you- I am intrigued by what Mahwah means, as you say, because I presumed she was just doing those kissing noises, when you fake kiss someone... I'm guessing not?

    Hopefully you are onto a favourite for your next read though, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it means.. what was it again.. Oh yeah, 'beautiful' So it's quite bizarre that she is using it as some word to protect herself.

      Delete
  13. Oh no. As you probably know, boring books NEVER work out for me. I usually DNF a book because it was boring, and nothing else, so I doubt I'd sit well with this one either. The things you mentioned would probably bug me half to death, too (especially this bit: "The beast in this story is a beast because he is a Native American." - Racist much?!), and since BEAUTY & THE BEAST is one of my favorite fairytales, I would be pickier about Belle.

    "It’s overly descriptive in the beginning and that made the story drag."

    Nope. Just staying far, far away from this.

    Thanks for such a helpful and brilliant review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only thing that made me finish it, was because of the shortness. Since it's also my favorite fairytale, I was extra disappointed :(

      Delete
  14. Because he is a Native American? Eesh. And yeah skimming a book that is already short is never a good sign! Sorry this was such a waste of precious reading time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thankful it didn't take me too much time to finish it!

      Delete
  15. Yeah, this book doesn't seem like a book for me at all. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it, though :\ but thank you for being honest sweetie. <3

    ReplyDelete
  16. Replies
    1. I don't like to say it about books, but yes, this was a horrible one.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0