Review 202. Lauren Oliver – Requiem.

9593913Title: Requiem.
Author: Lauren Oliver.
Pages: 391.
Published: March 5th 2013 by HarperCollins Children's Books
Sort: Conclusion of ‘Delirium.’
Part 1: Delirium.
Part 2: Pandemonium.
They have tried to squeeze us out, to stamp us into the past. But we are still here. And there are more of us every day. Now an active member of the resistance, Lena has been transformed. The nascent rebellion that was under way in Pandemonium has ignited into an all-out revolution in Requiem, and Lena is at the center of the fight. After rescuing Julian from a death sentence, Lena and her friends fled to the Wilds. But the Wilds are no longer a safe haven—pockets of rebellion have opened throughout the country, and the government cannot deny the existence of Invalids. Regulators now infiltrate the borderlands to stamp out the rebels, and as Lena navigates the increasingly dangerous terrain, her best friend, Hana, lives a safe, loveless life in Portland as the fiancée of the young mayor. Maybe we are driven crazy by our feelings. Maybe love is a disease, and we would be better off without it. But we have chosen a different road. And in the end, that is the point of escaping the cure: We are free to choose. We are even free to choose the wrong thing.

Rating:

This book is so unsatisfying it makes me want to rip my hair out. It’s Rise all over again. What is up with all these horrible open endings? The first thing I thought, and I wrote this down on Goodreads: wait? What? Where the hell is the ending? :| Crap. That is still the best way to describe this book. Keep in mind that there are spoilers if you haven’t read the other two books.

The dual POV was nice. I liked seeing the way of life through the eyes of a cured one and Hanna wasn’t a bad character. I’m not sure if her POV was needed, but I certainly liked her more than Lena. We just don’t seem to click, but her annoyance was better to endure here.

If I had to summarize this book in a few words, it would be: Running, staying, flee, fighting, losing, crying, complaining and hormones. There is a lot of action in this book and it was fast-paced, but nothing spectacular actually happens. Most of the story is about Lena’s conflicted feelings between Alex/Julian and I just wanted her to make up her mind. It was obvious that she was using Julian as a replacement, because Alex turned her down. But after his whole ‘Oh look at me, I sacrificed myself like the Solomon story’ they finally come back together. Took you long enough! I didn’t care for both boys. I really liked Alex in Delirium, but I hardly know him here. He is on the background and we don’t get time to connect with him. Julian was okay, but not the right match for Lena.

Now, let me talk about that HORRIBLE ENDING. If you can call it that. I’d rather say the failed attempt to put some closure to the story. You can see that it didn’t work for me. It left a bad taste in my mouth. It’s almost like she ended this book with another cliff-hanger for the next one, but now you know there is nothing to wait for. This is what you get and I hated it. I can understand that it’s hard to write a good ending. Everyone is waiting for it and reads towards it, so I can see the pressure to deliver, but this is not how I like to see it and it pretty much spoiled the series.

It’s a shame, but I’m definitely going to read more books from Oliver. I believe she is a gifted author and I really liked her MG books Liesl & Po and The spindlers. I feel bad for disliking this series so much, but I guess we can’t all like the same.

52 comments

  1. I was so disappointed with this one- I was hoping for a great wrap up but Oliver left things WAYYY too open ended. Not satisfied here either :(

    Fabulous review, Mel! <33

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nooo :O I don't always enjoy open endings but here I did, because of that stupid love triangle, even though it was made well. I really like this book a lot.
    Too bad you didn't. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gave this 3! I was really disappointed because I loved Delirium and Pandemonium. I didn't understand what happened in this book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the other two weren't great for me either, but there were at least some things I liked. This was just a train wreck..

      Delete
  4. okay since this had spoilers i couldn't actually read the review, but open ending??!!! NOOOO I HATE OPEN ENDINGS!! :((
    - Farah @ MajiBookshelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Be prepared.. This is one of the worst I've seen so far.

      Delete
  5. Uh oh! Not good... I haven't read Pandemonium yet so this freaks me out a bit. But I have a feeling I'll feel the same once I reach this book.

    ~Stephanie @ Bookfever

    ReplyDelete
  6. I only read the first book, this is not my favorite book genre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd better stay away from book 2 and 3!

      Delete
  7. I agree 100%, this ending was horrible. I was SO disappointed. It absolutely sound like there would be another book but there isn't. Way to open ended.

    Ashley @ The Quiet Concert

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, open endings aren't my thing in the first place, but this was too much.

      Delete
  8. THE ENDING WAS SO FREAKING TERRIBLE. Nothing was solved! I don't mind if an ending is slightly open e.g. Eleanor and Park, but I seriously don't like open endings in dystopians. I WANT TO SEE SOCIETY FIX ITSELF DAMMIT.

    AND THE FREAKING ROMANCE ARGH! I don't mind love triangles in some books, but this one was so bad. Like you said, it was basically Lena just stringing Julian on while pining after Alex...so annoying...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I stopped after Delirium. While I thought it was a good stand alone book, I didn't think it needed follow up. I did read the two in between novellas and was satisfied with the closure I got there. After reading your review and the other comments, I'm glad I made the decision that I did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, that would have been the best decision for me too..

      Delete
  10. Oh, that's so sad! I liked the book because I rather that ending that having Lena with Julia, so... not much love.
    Anyway, I hope Panic is a good book, I love Lauren's writing, I think she just made so bad decisions!

    Lis @ The reader lines

    ReplyDelete
  11. This series didn't really work for me from the very beginning. I disliked Lena, found her world entirely too unrealistic and full of holes, and I didn't enjoy the writing style either. So I ended up DNFing Delirium and I'm very glad I did. I know for a fact I'd hate this whole love triangle mess.
    Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was a great decision! Haha. I wish I did it too..

      Delete
  12. That's too bad. These books tend to confuse me because I like them and while I'm reading I'm enjoying them but the endings kill. I've been putting this one off just because I wasn't sure about how Oliver would wrap the series up and it's too bad that you felt it was insufficient. I'll still give it ago and maybe it'll be enjoyable. Either way, I hope to read more from this author. Great review :)

    -Mari @ The Sirenic Codex

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, great review Mel! I didn't think it was that bad, but I agree I liked the first better. A lot of people seemed to love this one for the nonstop action, but I found the main character to be annoying and how she went back and forth between 2 guys. The ending as well was rageful! I haven't read the last book yet.

    Jeann @ Happy Indulgence

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was indeed more action, but also more romance.. Not the best combination for me :p

      Delete
  14. That settles it. I refuse to read this when it came out and I am not reading it now after reading your review. I mean, seriously, if you're promoting the book as the end of a series, then goshdarnit, you better end it properly. Gah.

    ReplyDelete
  15. *cries* While I'm disappointed that you didn't enjoy this, I totally understand what you are saying in your review. The ending had very little closure, and it was very hit and miss with readers. I, fortunately, really enjoyed it because it ended exactly where I wanted it to, minus the part about which guy she chose because I just didn't care. My favourite out of the three books is definitely Pandemonium, though, because I preferred having the two journeys running towards each other. Before I Fall is a much better book from Oliver. I'm looking forward to eventually reading her MG books :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy the ending worked for you! If I liked the ending, this book would have been much better. Pandemonium was also the best book for me. Her MG's are so enjoyable :D

      Delete
  16. Ouch! Sorry you weren't impressed. I actually have all three books and as much as i love Lauren's writing from Before I Fall, I'm a little apprehensive about reading her dystopian trilogy cause so many are similar to each other.

    Thanks for the honest review!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for your very honest review. <3 Yeah, I'm still not ever going to read book two and three. I enjoyed book one, but I will not continue. Which is just so damn sad. So sorry that the ending sucks. And the rest. Sigh. I will read other books from her too, since I also loved Liesl & Po and The Spindlers :) Hoping Panic is better. <3 (I already know the ending, hih, and I suspect it will be better than this.)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I was going to start this series soon but I guess I'll skip it :-/

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, if Requiem is like Rise, I'm definitely going to skip Rise. -shudders-
    And I agree, the ending of Requiem definitely spoiled the entire series. It's like, I read the entire series for no reason. :l

    ReplyDelete
  20. That's too bad to hear! I was really disappointed with Pandemonium and was really hoping Requiem would make up for it ): I might still try finishing off this series. So sad, I loved Lauren Oliver's writing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I skimmed over your review since I haven't read Pandemonium, but it definitely sounds like the ending of Requiem is pretty terrible :( Regarding Rise, though, Anna Carey announced she'll be writing an epilogue for it that will be released with the paperback/e-book edition in December. I'm pretty excited about that, since I also wasn't happy about how Rise ended. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh, that would be great! Thanks for letting me know :D

      Delete
  22. I'm sorry that this one failed for you so badly, but I am really glad to hear it hasn't turned you off continuing to read her work. I've tried reading possibly all of her published books (this series, Spindlers, Before I fall, Lisel and Po) and none of them click for me, which I always find sad because I love the premise for each. Thank you for your honest review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think some authors just doesn't work for us :)

      Delete
  23. That. Ending. Made. Me. So. Freaking. Angry.

    Which is sad, because I, too, tend to really enjoy Oliver's work. I recently read Panic (which was a bizarre title choice for a standalone book that exists in a different universe from this series), and it was pretty good, too. I think that maybe I just prefer when she doesn't mess with love triangles.

    Kate @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got Panic from Edelweiss, so I can't wait to see how that turns out :)

      Delete
  24. I bought this almost immediately after it came out...and then avoided it like the plague when I saw all the bad reviews. I still haven't mustered up the courage to read it, because I fear it'll make me just as mad as everyone else. Is there really no closure at all? I feel like I'm owed some answers if I read every book in the series and patiently wait one year between them, you know? Good honest review. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nonthing. It's like she forgot to put the ending in the book.

      Delete
  25. I did read a few reviews from people who liked the open ending, but unfortunately I completely agree with you: it pretty much spoiled the entire series for me! I just think it's so unfair for Lauren Oliver to do this to her dedicated fans who stuck through the series to the end. We DESERVED a resolution - especially to that love triangle! It just came off as lazy, unfortunately. Don't get me wrong, I still love her and her writing, but I was pretty pissed as well that she did that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it does look lazy. Like she was tired of writing and decided to publish it anyway.

      Delete
  26. I was actually OK with the ending. I know I'm in the minority here. I think authors worry about reader reactions if they wrapped up every book in a nice, pretty bow, but it's obvious from the reaction to this book that there is such a thing as TOO open-ended.

    Stephanie @ Inspiring Insomnia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there is, but I'm happy that it was OK for you!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible.