Monday, October 07, 2013 17:43

Review 203. Lauren Destefano – Fever.

11112619Title: Fever.
Author: Lauren DeStefano.
Pages: 341.
Published: February 21st 2012 by Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing. 
Sort: Part two ‘Chemical Garden’
Review part 1: Wither.
Running away brings Rhine and Gabriel right into a trap, in the form of a twisted carnival whose ring mistress keeps watch over a menagerie of girls. Just as Rhine uncovers what plans await her, her fortune turns again. With Gabriel at her side, Rhine travels through an environment as grim as the one she left a year ago - surroundings that mirror her own feelings of fear and hopelessness. The two are determined to get to Manhattan, to relative safety with Rhine’s twin brother, Rowan. But the road there is long and perilous - and in a world where young women only live to age twenty and young men die at twenty-five, time is precious. Worse still, they can’t seem to elude Rhine’s father-in-law, Vaughn, who is determined to bring Rhine back to the mansion...by any means necessary.
Rating

It was not hard to like this book. Yes, there are definitely some flaws, but it was tense and fast-paced. I think it’s a great sequel to Wither and I’m looking forward to the next and last book.

“Because even if the lie is beautiful, the truth is what you face in the end.”

Fever continues right after Wither. It has been a while since I’ve read that book, but it wasn’t hard to follow the storyline. Rhine ran away with Gabriel in the hope of finding her lost twin brother Rowan. Instead, they end up in a situation that looks even worse than the mansion she left behind. This part of the story gave me the creeps.

Rhine comes into the hands of a Madame. This is one freaky lady. She is mentally unstable and extremely suspicious. She believes she can earn a lot of money with Rhine’s beauty and she wants to get rid of Gabriel because she is afraid he is a spy. I was happy that Rhine managed to stay strong and hopeful. The situation looked bad, but she kept believing that they could get away. With clever thinking, she saved Gabriel’s life and she was a good character. Not my favorite, but I liked reading about her.

I wasn’t very invested in Gabriel though. I give him a lot of credits for leaving his good life behind, but he got on my nerves sometimes. I think it’s because he was such a defeatist in many situations. He made everything a bit dark and moody – I wanted him to have more faith in himself and Rhine. The situation was negative enough. The secondary characters were interesting, especially Lilac's past. It made me admire her spirit and courage even more.

“The thing about hope is that it doesn't go away even when it serves no purpose.”

There is also the tension of Vaughn. He manages to track Rhine down and he tries to bring her back. She refuses, but still ends up drugged in the mansion in the basement as part of his new experiments. It was frightening to see what Vaughn is capable of and how easy he uses people like they are objects.

I was happy this story delivered. Keep in mind that this book is dark and heavy. I don’t think everyone will like this, but it worked for me. I have high expectations for Sever.
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

50 comments:

  1. I liked Fever too but it wasn't as strong as its predecessor (me thinks). I think some of the events felt like fillers to me. I'm glad you've enjoyed it. I'm still heartbroken with the Sever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, I haven't looked at it that way. It does make sense that some things were there just to fill up the pages.

      Delete
  2. I haven't started the series *gasps* been wanting to though! I just can't find the first book here anywhere so...yeah... I'm not in the mood for dystopia so probably it will affect my rating toward this book so I better wait till my mood comes back haha xD I'm glad that the sequel doesn't suffer from second book syndrome :) awesome review, Mel!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's always better to wait until you are in the mood for it!

      Delete
  3. I love this series! Fever was probably my least favourite of the three, but still a good read all the same. I definitely agree with what you said about Gabriel, he was a total defeatist and that really bugged me. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved Wither but am hesitant on Fever. I think you've touched on why: Vaughn and his manipulative ways. I agree, this series is not for everyone but Destefano writes dark themes with flourish.

    Great review, Mel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vaughn only appears towards the ending, if that makes it better?

      Delete
  5. Aw, yay! I'm glad you enjoyed it :) I loved it. Loved the dark parts, hih. But sniffs. I'm sorry you didn't fully love Gabriel :( I adored him. <3 Anyway. Awesome review :D I hope you will enjoy Sever when you read it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope he changes back to Wither-Gabriel in Sever :D

      Delete
  6. Saw this one at the library today along with Wither and I didn't know weather to pick it up. I think I'm finally going to give this series ago. I'm glad you enjoyed it Mel :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, don't you just love Lauren's gorgeous writing? :D Although Fever wasn't my favorite book of the series so far, I still loved it. So sad this series is over... :(
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you enjoyed this!! I read Wither and loved it, but have yet to pick up Fever!! I will have to soon now! Thanks for the review hun (:

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really want to read this one, but I can't seem to find the time! Great review ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooh, I've actually not read this series, but I've heard so many things about it! I've been wanting to have a browse for some time, but a certain friend of mine, called the TBR is quite unpredictable and is always stacking itself high, so hmmm....
    The book is dark? Well, I guess that should be expected as from the synopsis it certainly looks that way!
    I'm really glad you enjoyed this one, Mel! Great review! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ahh this series is sitting on my self tormenting me. I have so many series that I am behind in- it's crazy! Glad that this one worked well for you :)

    Fabulous review as always, Mel! <33

    ReplyDelete
  12. Woah, I didn't realise this book was going to be dark and heavy (yes I haven't read it yet). I need to pick this one up too, it's sitting on my shelf collecting dust...Great review!

    Jeann @ Happy Indulgence

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm actually a fan of dark and heavy books and I didn't realise that this series would be this way. I'm glad that this series is still going strong for you Mel, I hope the final book ends up delivering a solid read too! Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ugh Vaughn gave me the creeps! So did Madame whatever for that matter. I am trying to remember what I rated this book. I remember LOVING the first book but finding myself a little less enthusiastic over the next two probably because I was comparing them to the first. But I found the characters to be amazing throughout. I can't wait to see what you think of the ending. It frustrated me a little bit but I won't say anything more yet!

    ReplyDelete
  15. VAUGHN. He's sooooo creepy and I love it.
    I think I was less enthusiastic about this one too... Gabriel DID kind of bring me down. I think I just got lost in such a new setting with so many new people and I didn't quite feel like we were in the same world as book one.
    I'm glad you enjoyed it! Hope you like Sever! I thought it was a really nice series ender :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was a book that could be overwhelming!

      Delete
  16. Well, you definitely enjoyed this one a lot more than I did, that's for sure! That's not to say that I disliked it exactly; I just didn't find it as mind-blowing as I originally thought it would be, especially after the first book.

    I agree that Lauren DeStefano recaps all that happened in WITHER almost seamlessly! I wasn't questioning much or scratching my head and wondering when that had happened, or when this had happened, so that's a major plus, considering the severity of my book amnesia.

    "I wasn’t very invested in Gabriel though. I give him a lot of credits for leaving his good life behind, but he got on my nerves sometimes." - YES TO THIS. Honestly, I just found that his character lacked a lot of depth, and since his relationship with Rhine wasn't properly explored in the first book - not to me, at least - I couldn't really come to terms with their romance. I still kind of prefer Linden over him, heh. But you're right about him being dark and moody. He just killed any happy mood that came over them with his broodiness. Ugh, I don't approve.

    I have to admit that the ending and the climax saved the book for me. I love Vaughn's character - he's so twisted and evil, and the best part is that he doesn't fall into the stereotypical villain category. You never know what he's going to do next, or what he actually is trying to do. And that's what makes me so much scarier than anyone else.

    I hope SEVER lives up to both our expectations! Fab review as always, Mel. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish everyone could recap the first book in such a subtle way! I hope it does :D!

      Delete
  17. I have to admit I liked this book too. I know a lot of people didn't. I still can't decide even with finishing the series whether or not these were great books. But they have stayed with me for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've seen a few negative reviews towards this book in the series, mainly because the pacing was slow and the main character is kind of out of it most of the time. I actually really enjoyed it, though. I agree with you about Gabriel; honestly, I've never been that passionate about his character, but at the same time, I like him much more than Linden. I've yet to read the series conclusion, but I'm going to soon so I can start her new series. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I definitely prefer Gabriel over Linden!

      Delete
  19. Glad you liked it Mel! I was disappointed by it, it felt a lot like filler to me. It was definitely frightening and awful for Rhine and Gabriel but yeah, Gabriel's attitude was a huge downer but when I think about it again, it does seem quite realistic, it seems hard to be hopeful when in their shoes. Great review :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could understand why he acted like that, but it made the book even more depressing than it already was.

      Delete
  20. Wonderful review, Mel! :) I'm glad you're enjoying this series! Personally, I haven't even read the first book yet, even though it was THE FIRST book I ordered from The Book Depository when I first started blogging. I have no idea how I managed to put it off for so long! I did hear great things about DeStefano's writing, though I'm not a big fan of her as a person (i.e. her tweets can be pretty, um, weird, and often times controversial :P). I need to give this one a try sometime soon and also read her new series! :) Thanks for a lovely review!!!

    Evie @Bookish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have her on twitter, but I haven't paid much attention to that. I will keep an eye on her tweets to see what you mean :p!

      Delete
  21. Glad you liked it! I read Wither awhile back and had mixed feelings, but this makes me think maybe I should give the trilogy another shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it had some stronger points than Wither :)

      Delete
  22. Yay! Absolutely awesome review, Mel, and happy that you liked it and it worked for you :) I haven't read it yet, but I hope I'll be in the same boat as you and it will work. Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I haven't tried out this series yet,but a friend of mine recommended it to me.So I think maybe I should try out this one.Great review,Mel.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Glad you liked the sequel! I just finished Wither, so I'll have to check this one out. Awesome review! :)

    Alice @ Alice in Readerland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's great to read this one right after Wither :)!

      Delete
  25. I enjoyed reading Fever too especially once they returned to the house and then I think I liked the ending a lot too. Still need to pick up Sever to finish off the trilogy!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm so glad you liked this one! The Chemical Garden Trilogy is one of my favorites and I feel like a lot of people don't like it as much as I do. Or at least don't like Fever as much as I do. There was just something so... stunning about it for me. Does that make sense? I hope it does. Either way, great review!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0