Review 204. Jessica Day George – Princess of the silver woods.

12873027Title: Princess of the silver woods.
Author: Jessica Day George.
Pages: 336.
Published: December 11th 2012 by Bloomsbury USA Children's Books 
Sort: Part 3 of ‘Princess’
Part 1: Princess of the midnight ball.
Part 2: Princess of glass.

When Petunia, the youngest of King Gregor's twelve dancing daughters, is invited to visit an elderly friend in the neighboring country of Westfalin, she welcomes the change of scenery. But in order to reach Westfalin, Petunia must pass through a forest where strange two-legged wolves are rumoured to exist. Wolves intent on redistributing the wealth of the noble citizens who have entered their territory. But the bandit-wolves prove more rakishly handsome than truly dangerous, and it's not until Petunia reaches her destination that she realizes the kindly grandmother she has been summoned to visit is really an enemy bent on restoring an age-old curse. The stories of Red Riding Hood and Robin Hood get a twist as Petunia and her many sisters take on bandits, grannies, and the new King Under Stone to end their family curse once and for all.
Rating:

This was such an adorable series. I like how all the books can be read as stand-alones (although I highly suggest to read them in order to fully understand the story. Many things in this book refer to earlier situations in Princess of the midnight ball.) The original blend of Red riding hood and Robin Hood was entertaining.

Summary
.
This book tells the story of the youngest princess, Petunia. She is on her way to visit an elderly friend and prince Grigori when she is kidnapped by a bandit-wolf. This is actually Olivier, an earl who’s land and possessions have been taken away after the war. He steals from the rich to provide money for his people, who are hiding away in an abandoned house somewhere in the forest.

When Olivier finds out that Petunia is one of the princesses, he knows he is in trouble. He takes her to the estate and in the evening, strange shadows crawl up the wall to Petunia’s room and one of them threatens to kill Olivier. He is afraid for Petunia’s life and he warns the king, even when he knows he might die for his actions. Her sisters and husbands free him and together, they return to help Petunia. They don’t know that they walk right into the trap from the King under stone, because he is back and he wants to claim them as wives for his brothers like promised.

Review.I was happy to see more of the King under stone. It makes this book exciting and I kept reading to find out what was going to happen. The nightmares and shadowy figures are only the beginning and the princesses are in real trouble.

The only thing I found less interesting in this book is Petunia. She has spunk (she almost shot Olivier when they first met), but she is a bit naive and she doesn’t shine like the other princesses. I really liked Poppy in Princess of glass, so I was happy that she was present in this book. She made this book work for me. It’s a shame that there won’t be any more stories, because I’d be interested to see some more about Lily.

Olivier is not bad. I liked his role as Robin Hood and it’s cute how he wants to take care of Petunia. He even wants to sacrifice his own life by warning the king. His role in this book was therefore very important. He also brings a group of man together, among them is Galen, to take care of the King under stone for once and for all. The romance between Petunia and Olivier is a bit fast, but that was something I expected from the beginning. It’s not insta-love though and it was fun to see it develop. They were sweet together.

All together, a fantastic ending to this series and I recommend it to fairy tale lovers or people who are looking for a blend of romance and paranormal.

24 comments

  1. I checked out Princess of the Midnight Ball from the library once but it was one of those times where it was due before I could read it. I love fairy tales, so perhaps I should reconsider this series. Which of the three was your favorite?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's a tie between the first and second book. The first one had a great story, the second one was about my favorite princess (Poppy) :D

      Delete
  2. I read Princess of the Midnight Ball two years ago and liked it very much. Haven't picked up the companion books though but they sound as interesting as the 1st book! I love retellings but I've never read one about Robin Hood! I'm also happy that Galen is present in this book -- I really liked his character! Awesome review, Mel! :3

    P.S.: Your signature is soooo cute! Winnie the Pooh <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooh this sounds like a pretty cool read! Sucks that you didn't find Petunia interesting.. glad you enjoyed the book overall though! Great review!
    - Farah @ MajiBookshelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She just wasn't my type of character, but at least all the other elements were good enough to make it enjoyable :D

      Delete
  4. I am not a fan of the name Petunia, a rather off-putting name IMO...

    Fab review, Mel! <33

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you enjoyed it! This sounds like something I'd love, hope I can get my hands on it one day! Thank you for sharing (;

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought this book was cute, and I did like it a lot more the Princess of Glass, but I wasn't madly in love. I did like Petunia and Oliver, though. I loved the Robin Hood tie-in for sure.

    Have you read Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow by JDG? It's my favorite book of hers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I'd need to pick this series up, it sounds like you really enjoyed it. I love how it's based on fairy tales too, Robin Hood appearing makes me want to read it. Great review Mel!

    Jeann @ Happy Indulgence

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds so cute and entertaining! I love retellings, and a blend of Robin Hood and Red Riding Hood sounds like pure awesomeness to me! So glad you enjoyed this one, Mel, personally I haven't even heard about this series before, so I'm glad I stopped by today! I discovered something new, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy you stopped by too! I love introducing fairy tales to other bloggers :D

      Delete
  9. I have the first book in this series and I'm really looking forward to reading it! I'm glad that the other books are great, too. Amazing review :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You finally read it! :) I'm glad you liked it. I thought it was a great story. I agree - I wouldn't mind another book in the series as well.

    Tressa @ Tressa's Wishful Endings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was about time! Unfortunately, it's not likely there will be another book :( But I can understand that she wants to have quality in her series.

      Delete
  11. Glad you loved it :D And that it is a good series ;p I do love the cover. <3 think it sounds awesome. Thank you for sharing Mel. <3 :)+

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad you enjoyed it, Mel! If the lover of fairy tales puts her stamp of approval on this, it must be worth reading. :)

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible.